• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Paris

dmc

Going to Paris with my girl in May...
Anybody been? Anything that I should really see and not see?

hippiechick

Yep, was there for 4 days, long time ago.

You MUST get a chicken and cheese crepe. Must. Most people think 'crepe' and they think dessert, creme filled fruit all that. But look for crepe street vendors (like hot dog stands...) and they'll usually have chicken and cheese. Holy shitbananas. It's been forever, and I can still conjure up that taste.

What are your interests? See the sights? Or something more 'niche-y'?

ctenidae

Go here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rue_Mouffetard,_Paris

It runs up a hill. At the bottom is a farmers market, at the top is a big circle with a bunch of bars. All the way up the hill it's lined with restaurants and shops, and the little side streets have lots of great food. One street off the side is Rue du Pot de Fer with a restuarant Chez Robert, which my wife and I loved both times we went to Paris. Which, I'm realizing after just looking up the restaurant, was 12 years ago, and things have changed...

The Jardin des Plantes over near Gare d'Austerlitz is nice and chill. If the weather is nice, the park south of the Eiffel Tower is very nice, and has a higher percentage of locals than you'd think. The Tower is cool as well, even though it's a tourist haven. At the very least, watching the water vendors evading the police is entertaining. The Opera area is prettty cool. The whole Latin Quarter is fun to wander around in. Gare du'Norde is neat if you want to relive scenes from Jason Bourne movies. The Cemetery at Montparnasse is truly incredible.

Good god, has it really been 12 years since I was in Paris? Yikes.

marcski

Westchester County, NY and a Mountain near you!
Obviously you have to see the eiffel tower and the Louvre.

Sorry Nick, I disagree. Personally, when I visit a new city, I'd much rather walk around and see the City and get a feel for the people and the place. I live within about 20 miles of NYC, which houses some of the world's finest museums. I don't go to them, so, why would I want to spend a few hours of what is most likely a limited time in this new city stuck inside a museum? I don't. We walked around Tuileries Gardens and the area around the Louvre, but we didn't step foot inside. Now, if you're into art...that's an entirely different story.

marcski

Westchester County, NY and a Mountain near you!
Obviously you have to see the eiffel tower and the Louvre.

Sorry Nick, I disagree. Personally, when I visit a new city, I'd much rather walk around and see the City and get a feel for the people and the place. I live within about 20 miles of NYC, which houses some of the world's finest museums. I don't go to them, so, why would I want to spend a few hours of what is most likely a limited time in this new city stuck inside a museum? I don't. We walked around Tuileries Gardens and the area around the Louvre, but we didn't step foot inside. Now, if you're into seeing art in a museum...that's an entirely different story.

dmc

We're big into art and I really want to go to the places where the impressionist painted... Like I want to go to Giverny and see Monet's house and the water lilies... So museums are definitely on the plan... The Louvre for sure.. Also the Musee d'Orsay and Musee de l'Orangerie...

I also want to see the palace of Versailles.. Always dreamt of going there..

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
Sorry Nick, I disagree. Personally, when I visit a new city, I'd much rather walk around and see the City and get a feel for the people and the place. I live within about 20 miles of NYC, which houses some of the world's finest museums. I don't go to them, so, why would I want to spend a few hours of what is most likely a limited time in this new city stuck inside a museum? I don't. We walked around Tuileries Gardens and the area around the Louvre, but we didn't step foot inside. Now, if you're into art...that's an entirely different story.

So here's my caveat on that one. I've always enjoyed seeing "attractions" but also getting to know the city.

When I went to Venice about 2 (actually ... 3??) years ago we went and saw some of the more touristey stuff ... the Rialto bridge, the glass blowing in Murano, etc.

But we also talked to our waiter and he recommended local bars, so we went to those one night and had dinner and drinks with real Venice residents ... and it was awesome.

I've always enjoyed doing both. If I went to Paris as cliche as it is though I would definitely want to see the Eiffel Tower. But then I would also want to go see other stuff too.

dmc

Now, if you're into art...that's an entirely different story.

Yes - I'll be spending a lot of time in museums.. There's some things I want to see for myself..
But I'll also spend time walking around too... We have 6 days..

In Japan last year we walked all over the place and spent a ton of time outside in gardens but also had our museum time too..

dmc

But we also talked to our waiter and he recommended local bars, so we went to those one night and had dinner and drinks with real Venice residents ... and it was awesome.

I have a good friend that grew up there.. He lives in London now. He's Moroccon / parisan / english... haha..
He's going to help me with some stuff and meet me later in the week... stoked...

dmc

And I want to see Jim Morisons grave too...

dmc

Go here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rue_Mouffetard,_Paris

It runs up a hill. At the bottom is a farmers market, at the top is a big circle with a bunch of bars. All the way up the hill it's lined with restaurants and shops, and the little side streets have lots of great food. One street off the side is Rue du Pot de Fer with a restuarant Chez Robert, which my wife and I loved both times we went to Paris. Which, I'm realizing after just looking up the restaurant, was 12 years ago, and things have changed...

PErfect!!!

ski stef

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Oh man I'm jealous! I loved Paris but my journey was short (2 days) so I visited the Eiffel Tower, ate good food and just strolled about Champs-Élysées... I would go back in a heartbeat! enjoy!

Cornhead

Will you be staying at the Paris Hilton? :wink: Sorry, couldn't resist, hey, maybe you are. Have fun, I've never been, but my Sister has been twice, she loves it.