• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

PCMR 02/19/11 - The good, the bad, and the ugly

hammer

Date(s) Skied: Saturday 2/19/11

Resort or Ski Area: Park City Mountain Resort, UT

Conditions: Snow, windy, powder, crud, very busy

Trip Report:

First day of two that we plan on spending at PCMR...

The good on today's trip: The ski resort is real nice, quite a lot bigger then anything I've been to back east, and the food selections in the main lodge were much better (although they were still pricey). The staff are very friendly and helpful and they do a good job of keeping the lift lines moving. There are also some real nice views if you can take them in. The snow also made for some nice powder skiing if one didn't mind and had the skills for hitting out of the way spots.

The bad on today's trip: Since it was the first day of a holiday weekend, the crowds were pretty high and the main traffic trails were a bit nuts. The ongoing snow also made for poor visibility which made skiing the tracked out powder and crud on all the more challenging (no pictures either).

The ugly on today's trip: I made a brief lapse in judgment and didn't bother to lock up my demo rental skis over lunch, and when I went out to get them to ski in the afternoon they were gone. While it's possible that they could have been accidentally taken by another person renting the same skis (the ski racks were chaos), I'm most likely looking at having to reimburse the ski rental shop for a pair of Volkl AC30s. I did get a pair of AC50s for the afternoon which worked pretty well for me in the conditions.

We will be going back to PCMR on Tuesday (heading to DV tomorrow) and hopefully the weather will be more cooperative. It's not that I mind the fresh powder (my family and I handled it better than I expected) but I'd like to be able to see where I'm skiing. There was a lot of intermediate to advanced terrain that we didn't get a chance to check out.

skidmarks

Hope DV works for you but if you can check out Snowbasin.
I found DV ultra busy, very Okemo-esque.

Dr Skimeister

Hear you both...but this is a family trip and with the snow we received last night (4-5 inches at the condo) I don't want to have to drive down I-80 into SLC. DV it will be...

Lots of very good skiing at DV-wide range variety. Best ski lodge food I've ever had.