• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Plattekill 4-6-13

abc

Ski Area: Ski Plattekill, Roxbury, NY

Date: April 6, 2013

Conditions: Plenty of snow, some firm, some soft, some mashed patato

I need to fiddle with my boot some so I was looking for a good place nearby for a variety of conditions to work with. Plattekill has a deal of $15 for this weekend which can't be beat.

Weather looks decent for Saturday, except I noticed it wouldn't break the freezing mark till after 10. So I decide to be lazy and do a late start. Except when I stepped out of the car round 11, it was quite windy and COLD! I just got back from Montana and most of my warm stuff hadn't been unpacked. I only had my "spring outfit" on... :(

Bundle up as much as I can with what I got and hit the slope 'bout 11:30. By then the trails on the triple side has soften up nicely and is quite nice. I lapped it a few times and decided to try the double side... not too smart! Frim was an understatement! Back to lapping the triple side for some more, but I was dressed too lightly for that chair (for some reason the triple was colder than the double, probably because it's in the open and got the full force of the wind). Had to go in the lodge to warm up once, and to fiddle with my boot a bit more.

Then lunch to wait for the double side to soften up (and the temperature to warm up some too)...

2pm, I hit the double side again. yeeek, still pretty firm... what gives? It's marginally edgable but not exactly soft yet. OK, a few more laps on the triple side to give it a bit more time. But it's started to get mashed potato'ish and I'm by then bored of the same few trails for the upteenth time. Decided to brave the double side after all. With plenty of determination and aggression, the surface were workable if not enjoyable. That is, until I hit Blockbuster. It's in perfect condition! :D

Lapped Blockbuster several times. Then my legs gave way. Pack up around 3:30.

A good days of skiing. Just need to play "follow the sun" game smartly.

ScottySkis

Wow glad you got up their, sorry about the conditions no skiing this weekend for me, car and other expenses had to be paid, maybe next weekend.

Cornhead

Thanks for the TR abc, I was at Whiteface today, it was chilly, great coverage for early April. Scotty, I wish I'd gotten hold of you last night, you could have skied Whiteface and Gore with me for $35. I used my raincheck from last year for WF, and can buy a ticket for $35 with my season's pass at Greek. I also hold two Gore vouchers. I went to Greek last week with Rambo, some guy approached us in the parking lot and asked us if we wanted vouchers for Greek. He couldn't give them away, everyone was a season pass holder. Turns out the voucher is good at several places, Gore is one of them. Then this morning I thought I'd try redeeming my Son's Warren Miller vouchers with my other email address, he won't use them, it worked! I wanted a backup plan for Gore, the voucher I have says "Expires April". Does that mean April 1st? Through April? Now I'm covered.

I'd have been happy to meet you in Albany and let you tag along for the price of a discounted WF ticket, but I didn't think of it till I was in Oneonta. Oneonta? Brook's..
mmm, maybe I'll hit them on the way home tomorrow.

ScottySkis

Thanks for the TR abc, I was at Whiteface today, it was chilly, great coverage for early April. Scotty, I wish I'd gotten hold of you last night, you could have skied Whiteface and Gore with me for $35. I used my raincheck from last year for WF, and can buy a ticket for $35 with my season's pass at Greek. I also hold two Gore vouchers. I went to Greek last week with Rambo, some guy approached us in the parking lot and asked us if we wanted vouchers for Greek. He couldn't give them away, everyone was a season pass holder. Turns out the voucher is good at several places, Gore is one of them. Then this morning I thought I'd try redeeming my Son's Warren Miller vouchers with my other email address, he won't use them, it worked! I wanted a backup plan for Gore, the voucher I have says "Expires April". Does that mean April 1st? Through April? Now I'm covered.

I'd have been happy to meet you in Albany and let you tag along for the price of a discounted WF ticket, but I didn't think of it till I was in Oneonta. Oneonta? Brook's..
mmm, maybe I'll hit them on the way home tomorrow.

It all good, I was extremely tired last night , got to ride my bike today so hopefully another ski day at other places before my season ends this year, everyone who gets out on Sunday have fun in the corn snow.:thumbup: