• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Platty 🏂🎿😃 sweet hill in West Cats NY

JimG.

Staff member
Glad I didn't go up last night....
I looked at the cam at about noon and everyone was just milling around at the Discovery lodge. Wonder when they finally opened.

OK by me I had 2' of snow to deal with so I was busy. Last time I rushed up to Belle on a powder day the electricity went out and they closed just as I arrived.

Tomorrow will be great whatever.

tnt1234

I looked at the cam at about noon and everyone was just milling around at the Discovery lodge. Wonder when they finally opened.

OK by me I had 2' of snow to deal with so I was busy. Last time I rushed up to Belle on a powder day the electricity went out and they closed just as I arrived.

Tomorrow will be great whatever.
Sounds like the Gondi got going around 11:30-noon.

Sure hope they add to the trail count and keep some natural. See you out there!

JimG.

Staff member
Great day at Plattekill. Not a bit of crowding that I saw.
Great day indeed my personal best opening day at any mountain:

Plat1.jpg

My day improved dramatically when I realized I could access Plunge and Freefall below the bare dirt and rock headwalls by using Ridge Run. Skied 9:30-3:15 with 30 min for lunch at the car/lodge. Really glad I bought that season pass!

Harvey

Website
nyskiblog.com
Really glad I bought that season pass!

I've been beating that drum all summer. I really felt that once things got going people would start to think differently. It's happened.

There were some day ticket skiers yesterday. I was talking to Laz at the end of the day and a guy came up and put his card in Laz's hand and said "Remember what I told you, I don't care about the price."

After he moved on Laz said that all day people were cornering him trying to buy pass, and offering ridiculous sums.

Personally even if the gov shuts everything down I have no problem with Plattekill having my money.

Last edited:

JimG.

Staff member
I've been beating that drum all summer. I really felt that once things got going people would start to think differently. It's happened.

There were some day ticket skiers yesterday. I was talking to Laz at the end of the day and a guy came up and put his card in Laz's hand and said "Remember what I told you, I don't care about the price."

After he moved on Laz said that all day people were cornering him trying to buy pass, and offering ridiculous sums.

Personally even if the gov shuts everything down I have no problem with Plattekill having my money.
Ha NOW people want to buy passes; I could see the handwriting on the wall.
After yesterday it would hurt a bit but I would agree about Platty having my money. That was a well run operation yesterday from start to finish.
Great vibe great day.

JimG.

Staff member
Jim weren't you on the fence for a while?
I was pretty decided on the Platty pass by mid-September as well as the SKI3. I won't lie there were days I questioned buying either. But I was 95% decided. Because Platty is an old school operation I really felt that Lazlo would prioritize the season passholder and I was right about that.

My K midweek pass was the real struggle. But I'm glad I decided to get the refund even though I feel bad about not skiing at K this winter. I don't feel bad about not having to deal with all the BS.

Harvey

Website
nyskiblog.com
That's me too. Plattekill and Ski3. Two hills in the Adk and two in the Cats. I've got two days where I skied Platty and Belle in the same day.

Maybe I'll see you this year.

Last edited:

JimG.

Staff member
That's me two. Plattekill and Ski3. Two hills in the Adk and two in the Cats. I've got two days where I skied Platty and Belle in the same day.

Maybe I'll see you this year.
I'll be skiing again Tues-Wed at Belle and/or Gore then Fri-Sat at least at Platty.

KustyTheKlown

I was pretty decided on the Platty pass by mid-September as well as the SKI3. I won't lie there were days I questioned buying either. But I was 95% decided. Because Platty is an old school operation I really felt that Lazlo would prioritize the season passholder and I was right about that.

My K midweek pass was the real struggle. But I'm glad I decided to get the refund even though I feel bad about not skiing at K this winter. I don't feel bad about not having to deal with all the BS.

i think you're really overestimating the 'BS' around skiing killington mid-week. yea, you'd be in violation of the quarantine rules, which is between you and your maker. but logistically, killington will be a ghosttown mid-week as always, and there is no enforcement of vermont's mandates on any level. it was obvious everywhere i visited the past two weeks that the majority of the out of state people had not quarantined.

that being said its obviously great to have an indy off the beaten path option this year and plattekill is a completely worthy recipient of your money

JimG.

Staff member
I think you're really overestimating the 'BS' around skiing killington mid-week. yea, you'd be in violation of the quarantine rules, which is between you and your maker.
I don't disagree with you. I know it's not a really a big deal; I could legitimately quarantine and test out like you did. I could also spend 2 weeks or a month if I wanted.

I just don't want to. It's not part of my definition of skiing fun. I have a family so I can't just disappear for a month.

I've come to terms with not skiing in VT this season and my season so far has been good without VT. Hopefully it's back in play for me next season.

JimG.

Staff member
I'll be skiing again Tues-Wed at Belle and/or Gore then Fri-Sat at least at Platty.
Ha forgot Friday is Xmas! My son Peter is bringing his GF home to meet my wife on Xmas. Can't miss that.

Probably spending Sat with family as well all my boys are home at once.

So I'll be at Platty on Sunday and hopefully a few days next week.

ScottySkis

8 up top inches of new snow overnight + snowmaking resuming this week = awesome conditions coming for next weekend! Don’t forget to purchase tickets online in advance of your next visit. #keepingitreal #myplatty