• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Portsmouth NH dining

SkiFanE

We're seeing a show at the Music Hall in Portsmouth tomorrow night and want to grab dinner in Portsmouth beforehand. Heard there are great places to eat there, but know nothing. Any suggestions?

The closer to the Music Hall the better, nothing froo froo, but good food is a must.

deadheadskier

Staff member
It is my hood for sure.

If you're looking for just standard decent pub fare, the Portsmouth Brewery is probably the best in town. I'm not as much of a fan of the other popular pubs - Fat Belly's, Gaslight, RiRa and the Thirsty Moose. The Moose is awesome for having over one hundred beers on tap, but the food is kinda just so, so.

If you want something a bit more eclectic, I think the small plates served up at Moxy and Cava are a lot of fun. Those restaurants have probably the two most talented chefs in town and are great if you want to try a bunch of different things without breaking the bank. Some might consider the food a bit froo froo, but the atmosphere at both places is great.

Surf is the best Seafood joint in town. Jumpin' Jays has decent seafood as well and is much closer to the Music Hall.

Tourist traps to avoid: The Oar House and the Martingale Wharf Club. Basically anything on the Decks on the Water is overpriced and inconsistent except for Surf.

One place I have not been, but I've heard good things about is The District. That is also quite close to the Music Hall.

Be advised that it is Restaurant Week in Portsmouth. Every place in town is likely to be really busy even on a Thursday night. Though the Restaurant Week menus are good deals, I would advise against them and stick to the normal fare at the restaurants. I affectionately refer to restaurant week menus as the Freezer Dump menu.

mlctvt

+1 on the Portsmouth Brewery.
Ask for the Black Cat stout if they have it! My favorite all time Beer.

HD333

+1 on the Portsmouth Brewery.
Ask for the Black Cat stout if they have it! My favorite all time Beer.
+2. Get the chips with Gorganzola and Balsamic Vinegrette for an app/bar snack.
We also enjoyed American Flatbread if you want a good salad and pizza option.

SkiFanE

We love Tapas, so will go for either Cava or the Brew House, both look great. See what the crowds are like. Thanks for advice!