• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Post your snowboarding or skiing readiness workouts here

CoolMike

I'll start with one that works for me.

Warm up: Jump rope 2-4 minutes in one minute intervals, short jog (1-2 miles)

Workout: 3 rounds for time (AKA as fast as you can manage) (4 if your feeling really strong)

a. 10 burpees
b. 20 walking lunges with 25# barbells in either hand

For those not in the know: the workout cadence is as such: burpees, lunges, burpees, lunges, burpees, lunges - check your time.

I am still pretty slow at this particular workout, I don't have my log book on me but remember getting less than 6 minutes but more than 5 minutes. I'm fairly certain it can be done in 4 minutes by a real athlete.

After this workout follow up with a nice core workout. Sprinkle in pushups, handstand pushups, bench press, dead lift, pullups or whatever you desire before the core workout. Its probably not a good idea to do heavy squats after the lunges, you'll be more tired than you think.

Here's a cool core workout I developed. It may take some time to build up to it. Don't push yourself too hard on the planks right away - it took me a few weeks to build up to 1 minute intervals - this will help you avoid straining the little muscles between your ribs which can be annoying and lasts 10 days or more.

Core workout:

3 excersizes with 90 second breaks between excersizes

1. 10 hanging leg raises
2. 25 laying leg lifts
3. 1 minute plank, 90 seconds rest, 1 minute plank

CoolMike

Please add your own workouts! Whats been beneficial to you?

I find the lunge workout 1-2x per week keeps me happy on the snowboard for a full day. I like the core workout but I'm not sure if its helping yet : ).

I also do a goofy simulated snowboarding pose and hold it for 30 seconds. This seems to keep my calves and feet happy. Its like a half squat hold while standing on your toes. Try it out!

Smellytele

Use to be smoke a dube then drink a beer but mellowed now and that happens less and less. More like drink a coffee and hit the slopes. Save the other stuff for later in the day

skiNEwhere

Run 2 miles off and on without a real schedule at 10,000 ft elevation, coughing up a lung and feeling like I'm going to die afterwords, then tele ski for the first couple of months of the season until good solid bump terrain open ups, at which point I switch over to alpine skis and try to keep building up my legs so I can tackle moguls more than 40 yards at a time without stopping. All while not really having a planned diet.

So yea, I don't really have a master workout plan

dmw

I do similar workouts in a much less organized fashion; sprinkle in the whiskey and beer as needed.

tnt

Before and during the ski season, I try to run stadium steps a couple times a week. DOn't really know if it is the right thing to do, but it's the only work out that simulates the thigh burn of bump skiing for me, so that's what I do.

CoolMike

Stadium runs and hiking are both sweet skiing workouts in my book. I'm going to add some stair climbing / stair runs to my travel / hotel workout routine. :wink:

CoolMike

Skiing is my readiness workout!!!

This probably works great if you can get 25+ ski days in a year. My goal this year is 16 ski days. This way I can say that I got more ski days in than last year.

For me, the trouble with 10-15 ski days a year is that there are often 2-3 week breaks where when I get back on the hill I feel like I need a full day to get my calves, quads, and feet used to riding again.