• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Powder day lift preference?

deadheadskier

Staff member
What are you talking about? I established my position in my first post; there's nothing too defend. Fixed Grip Quad or High Speed Quad, the capacity is 2400 skiers per hour - uphill or downhill. What I said was trivial was how often the lift stops - you're argument, not mine. Arguing how often the fixed grip double on Madonna stops vs. how often the HSQ at Burke stops probably isn't going to yield conclusive results; metrics you brought up, not me.

I made a baseline, measurable comparison based on lift capacity. I admitted that there are other variables, but I don't think they are as extreme as you make them out to be. i.e. lift stoppages and people lapping the terrain quicker in "non-liftline" situations. In the latter, who cares if you're getting the same amount of runs/vertical in good snow over a period of five hours vs. eight hours?

And I don't get how you can "defend" the new HSQ at Burke, yet take such a hard line stance on maintaining the Fixed Grip Double on Madonna.

Last edited:

abc

Fixed Grip Quad or High Speed Quad, the capacity is 2400 skiers per hour - uphill or downhill.
That seems rather odd...

HSQ moves faster than a fix grip quad. So why does it NOT take more people up? Do they always put more spacing between chairs on the HSQ?

And a quad brings up 4 people while a double only 2. Is the spacing between quad chairs twice as big as on a double?

kingdom-tele

good for them I say. If I were skiing Burke first thing in the morning, I'm there to ski, not to spend 12-14 minutes on the lift. Get me on the lift as quick as possible and up the hill as fast as possible, so I can chew that pow up. I guess I'm a bit less courteous than you and Riv and don't want to smell the coffee and take in the views at a leisurely pace all morning. I want to lap that goodness as fast as possible.

Perhaps the main difference is our ski day preferences? I rarely if ever ski 8 hours in a day. On average, I ski closer to five to six. On a pow day, I want to be on the lift at 8 and if by 1 the place is tracked out, but I've got 20 great runs in, I'm good. If I'm at a place like Smuggs, and I've waited 15 minutes a lift ride to get in 15 good runs skiing all the way until close? I walk away feeling like I had some great skiing, but I spent way too much time waiting in line for the lift. I'd rather grab 20 great runs in 5 hours than 15 great runs in 8.

fits in nicely with society's trend of needing instant gratification. it has always been an amusing perspective to me, somehow skiing great snow that hasn't been demolished is outweighed by saving 6 minutes of sitting. people really are driving away at the end of the day bemoaning the lift ride experience vs their ski experience? I should add, not trying to call anyone out, my buddy tells really long tangential stories, so now instead of being able to finish them on the chair we have to stand around at the unloading flats to get the rest of the story :)

we have already had to convert from 12oz budies to 8oz budies, these lifts get any faster budweiser is going to have to start making cans the same size as the 5 hour energy drink things.

Last edited:

deadheadskier

Staff member
fits in nicely with society's trend of needing instant gratification. it has always been an amusing perspective to me, somehow skiing great snow that hasn't been demolished is outweighed by saving 6 minutes of sitting. people really are driving away at the end of the day bemoaning the lift ride experience vs their ski experience? I should add, not trying to call anyone out, my buddy tells really long tangential stories, so now instead of being able to finish them on the chair we have to stand around at the unloading flats to get the rest of the story :)

we have already had to convert from 12oz budies to 8oz budies, these lifts get any faster budweiser is going to have to start making cans the same size as the 5 hour energy drink things.

Amusing to you? Well then laugh on. Yup, your appreciation for spending more time on the lift and taking a leisurely approach to the day is certainly better than those who would rather spend as little time on the lift as possible on a powder day and would rather have their skis on the snow. :)

ScottySkis

Were snow on trails to the afternoon, were some people on A zone are going to have great powder today in a small town of you know were, have fun need trip reports please!!!!!:):):p;);):cool:

kingdom-tele

Amusing to you? Well then laugh on. Yup, your appreciation for spending more time on the lift and taking a leisurely approach to the day is certainly better than those who would rather spend as little time on the lift as possible on a powder day and would rather have their skis on the snow. :)

deep breath DHS. just a different perspective. not claiming its better or worse. I walk for most of my turns, so even the slowest lift seems like a luxury. I can certaily see your point and I am sure it is the PV of the majority.

have fun skiing, however you grade it.

deadheadskier

Staff member
deep breath DHS. just a different perspective. not claiming its better or worse. I walk for most of my turns, so even the slowest lift seems like a luxury. I can certaily see your point and I am sure it is the PV of the majority.

have fun skiing, however you grade it.

Breath Deep? I'm not the one bitching about High Speed Lifts and complaining about skiers like rabbits on meth ruining their ski experience. :lol:

kingdom-tele

Breath Deep? I'm not the one bitching about High Speed Lifts and complaining about skiers like rabbits on meth ruining their ski experience. :lol:

WTH man. do me a favor. go back and re read my posts with a different tone in your head, try whimsical, or jokingly, or maybe even a hint of playful sarcasm. no ones bitching. it just facts. you don't think the snow preservation is any different, it is, its OK, go enjoy. its far more concerning to me that it is more difficult to drink a 12oz can vs an 8oz can on a HSQ

Last edited:

deadheadskier

Staff member
WTH man. do me a favor. go back and re read my posts with a different tone in your head, try whimsical, or jokingly, or maybe even a hint of playful sarcasm. no ones bitching. it just facts. you don't think the snow preservation is any different, it is, its OK, go enjoy. its far more concerning to me that it is more difficult to drink a 12oz can vs an 8oz can on a HSQ

okay. I'll take the two 8oz cans over the one 12oz. its more beer

Cheese

fits in nicely with society's trend of needing instant gratification. it has always been an amusing perspective to me, somehow skiing great snow that hasn't been demolished is outweighed by saving 6 minutes of sitting. people really are driving away at the end of the day bemoaning the lift ride experience vs their ski experience?

Is it instant gratification or earned reward? Shouldn't there be a reward for those that hit the lift line early? If DH and River are standing in line while others are enjoying a long breakfast, haven't they earned a fresher or extra run? Alternatively a mountain could rope off all the terrain and open 1 run per 15 minutes guaranteeing the late arrivals will still get fresh tracks. Would that be less instant gratification and more fair to all patrons?

kingdom-tele

Is it instant gratification or earned reward? Shouldn't there be a reward for those that hit the lift line early? If DH and River are standing in line while others are enjoying a long breakfast, haven't they earned a fresher or extra run? Alternatively a mountain could rope off all the terrain and open 1 run per 15 minutes guaranteeing the late arrivals will still get fresh tracks. Would that be less instant gratification and more fair to all patrons?

I agree, they should be serving breakfast at the lift line.

Maybe choice of lines should be dictated by bacon and sausage consumption. How much could you pack away in a 7 min lift ride?

Cheese

I agree, they should be serving breakfast at the lift line.

Maybe choice of lines should be dictated by bacon and sausage consumption. How much could you pack away in a 7 min lift ride?

Who eats sausage when there's bacon? That's just SILLY!