• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Powder Mountain 2/24/07

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com
Conditions: Powder, chopped powder, and fresh virgin untracked powder.

Report: Today we had bit of trouble deciding where to go. Originally I had planned on Powder Mountain, but this morning when I checked the report, I saw that Powder Mtn had gotten 14 " while Alta had gotten 26". Normally, I'd run right for Alta, but decided to stick with the plans and go to Powder, we weren't dissappointed. Powder is a really nice mountain, and big, 5500 acres!! If we got to see 1000, that was a lot. Overall there was plenty of fresh powder all over the place. The little bit of the mountain we got to see had a lot of chopped up powder, but it was still a pleasure skiing in this stuff.

The highlight of this trip was our first experience with cat skiing, what a @#%!ing blast! First cat didnt' start running until later in the day, guess about 11. We missed the first one, but were the first people in line for the second trip up. Damn, it was a real pleasure when we got to the top and saw nothing but virgin powder with very few if any lines. I believe the area the cat takes you to is about 500 acres, there were only 17 people on the cat before us. We hit that powder, it was easily 2 feet deep and untouched, soft, dry, Utah powder. Vee finally got her powder skis mounted (K2 Phat Luvs) this morning, so this was her first chance to try them out. Damn, girl couldn't find finer powder to try them on. She had a grin from ear to ear. Here's some pics:

Powder Mountain Cat:

normal_P2240033.JPG

Vee enjoying her new K2's, 2 feet of snow and no trouble seeing them. Take my word for it, there is a huge smile hidden in there:

normal_P2240055.JPG

Your's truly:

normal_P2240058.JPG

Lift serviced pow:

normal_P2240078.JPG

Start of a nice huck taken from the lift:

normal_P2240088.JPG

Look ma, no tracks!

normal_P2240050.JPG

Last edited:

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com
Some more pics from Powder. Track as seen from the side of the road. This is Powder Country, people ski down here and a bus picks them up:
normal_P2240096.JPG

Got this pic as I was driving out:
normal_P2240094.JPG

There's actually track out there:

normal_P2240090.JPG

And more track, if you look close:

normal_P2240077.JPG

This was the sign at the line for the snow cat:
normal_P2240027.JPG

Last edited:

tirolerpeter

Powder Mountain

Nice pictures Andy. Can't wait to try PowMow myself. In all the trips out there, it never worked out for us to get over there. Sorry we didn't get a chance to "hook up" yet. No matter; I have a feeling you and Vee will be making future runs out west. We are still set for a Mar 15th moving date. I have my fingers crossed that it will be a snowy March and chilly April in the Wasatch.

koreshot

Nice pics andy. Looks like you guys are having quite a trip... snow looks fantastic!

First Tracks

Website
www.FirstTracksOnline.com
Originally I had planned on Powder Mountain, but this morning when I checked the report, I saw that Powder Mtn had gotten 14 " while Alta had gotten 26". Normally, I'd run right for Alta, but decided to stick with the plans and go to Powder, we weren't dissappointed.

Unless you had gotten in the line for LCC early, you likely would've been disappointed had you opted for Alta yesterday. UDOT closed LCC from 6:30 to 8 am for avi control work, and reports on KSL indicate that thereafter it took some folks 2.5 hours to get from the I-215/6200 S interchange to Snowbird.

Alta was marvelous today, though, and it looks like in addition to the snow on Monday, 26 inches on Friday, 6 inches received today and 4-8 predicted for tonight, our biggest storm of the season is forecast to hit Tuesday-Thursday this week -- early predictions are in the three- to four-foot range. This is the storm currently coming ashore in Northern California.

And FYI, for those who may wish to see more of Pow Mow, I was there last Saturday and shot a boatload of photos and video. It may be found at http://www.firsttracksonline.com/boards/viewtopic.php?t=2846 .

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com
Unless you had gotten in the line for LCC early, you likely would've been disappointed had you opted for Alta yesterday. UDOT closed LCC from 6:30 to 8 am for avi control work, and reports on KSL indicate that thereafter it took some folks 2.5 hours to get from the I-215/6200 S interchange to Snowbird.

Alta was marvelous today, though, and it looks like in addition to the snow on Monday, 26 inches on Friday, 6 inches received today and 4-8 predicted for tonight, our biggest storm of the season is forecast to hit Tuesday-Thursday this week -- early predictions are in the three- to four-foot range. This is the storm currently coming ashore in Northern California.

And FYI, for those who may wish to see more of Pow Mow, I was there last Saturday and shot a boatload of photos and video. It may be found at http://www.firsttracksonline.com/boards/viewtopic.php?t=2846 .

I'm hearing reports of the upcoming storms and plan on two things, heading for Snowbird or Alta tomorrow, nice dump today. And the second thing is stopping at Backcountry.com and picking up some nice powder skis for the remainder of the week! :) :snow: Oh, could someone remind me of the crappy winter we're having, I've yet to see it!

dmc

Powder Mountain is a great low angle pow paradise...

SkiDog

DUDE you're going to get POUNDED between Tues and Thursday.......POUNDED...FEET... probably 3 FEET....hit it man...

I have changed my mind and think I will bring the skis with this weekend....wasn't going to since its an interview/real estate trip, but man I can't not bring them now right???? FEET 2 days before I arrive....can't wait..

M

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com
DUDE you're going to get POUNDED between Tues and Thursday.......POUNDED...FEET... probably 3 FEET....hit it man...

I have changed my mind and think I will bring the skis with this weekend....wasn't going to since its an interview/real estate trip, but man I can't not bring them now right???? FEET 2 days before I arrive....can't wait..

M

Dude, you ain't chiting! 16 inches at the Bird today and they're talking another 2 feet by Wednesday morn! I'm happy to say we hit it right :)