• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Powder Straps ?

JDMRoma

When I was out to Steamboat last year I noticed a few people who had lost skis, wanting to prevent that ever from happening !! So I heard that you can get powder straps, never heard of them...anyone know how they work ?
do they attach to you or just something to be able to find in the snow ???

Hawkshot99

They are basically neon colored straps. They dont attach to you, but get pulled out as a streamer when you fall to kake it easier to see the ski.

Sent from my SGH-S959G using Tapatalk 2

bigbog

As I understand it...to your boot(strap...doubled up many times), but Hawkshot's info sounds logical.
Used ~4days tops....but are a godsend should you get tripped up and the skis try to go for a ride in 12"+.

Last edited:

thetrailboss

Staff member
Ask Snowmonster how I used mine at first ;)

Got my first pair at Alta in March 2012 when it snowed 60" in a few days thanks to Snowmonster.

As said they are bright shoe laces you run through the binding and then up your pant leg. When your skis come off the straps help you find the skis in deep snow.

ScottySkis

Yes at Alta several years ago I didn't have them and I had to look for my skis for an ho ur, but it was so worth doing powder days oh the memories.

JDMRoma

Why wouldnt you have them attach to your legs ? like in the old days of safety straps ! I remember seeing people searching for their skis when I was there last year.......not on my top ten list of things I want to do when Im out there this year !
Will have to get me some before I head out !

fbrissette

Why wouldnt you have them attach to your legs ? like in the old days of safety straps ! I remember seeing people searching for their skis when I was there last year.......not on my top ten list of things I want to do when Im out there this year !
A long long time ago, I fell, the binding released and the ski (attached to the strap) bounced back on my head. Result: 18 stitches. Yep, that was also a long time before ski helmets.

I've used neon powder straps but quickly ditched them. They are annoying.

snowmonster

You don't attach them to your leg because you don't want the ski to swing around and bash you as you fall. Or just in case, it's an avy situation, you don't want the skis weighing you down like an anchor. Just tie one end to the brake of your binding and and tuck the other end under your ski pants' gaiter. You should be all set. This set up is annoying in places with trams where you have to take off the ski and tuck in the straps every time.

TB, I will spare you the embarassment.

Have two pair, bright orange and neon green. Not the finest moments on the slopes, but adds to the comfort level when driving into deep powder. I've spent lots of time helping friends find lost skis (Castlerock, Vail and park city) where you think you'll never find the lost ski but they are godsends when you're feeling the moment. Not that I've personally lost any skis, but have been in situations helping friends and having them gives you that extra level of confidence. Yes, they are a pain, but it's less of a pain than not having them. Just make sure you have a good pair of ski pants with a strong elastic cuff to keep them in place! I look at them as cheap insurance.

thetrailboss

Staff member

That's what I was doing at first until Snowmonster straightened me out....it is now a funny moment in my history. I just assumed you tied them around your leg, but as said, that is not a good idea!

dmc

Forget about having to deal with that stuff on snowboards...