• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Power washing house

o3jeff

I finally need to power wash the vinyl siding on my house, especially the side that doesn't get any sun is turning a little green.

Do you guys buy any of that fancy power washer solutions or am I better of just dumping some Simple Green into the tank, or just shoot the plain water at it?

Any tips and tricks would be appreciated.

drjeff

I finally need to power wash the vinyl siding on my house, especially the side that doesn't get any sun is turning a little green.

Do you guys buy any of that fancy power washer solutions or am I better of just dumping some Simple Green into the tank, or just shoot the plain water at it?

Any tips and tricks would be appreciated.

The house specific solutions are nice, because they tend to be shrubbery/grass safe (not to mention clean off the goop from the siding).

A bunch of years ago, one of my neighbors at the time, used some stuff in his power washer (never heard what exactly it was) that did a great job cleaning the house, and then proceeded to kill off about 2/3rds of the plants/shrubs he had around his house in the coming weeks :eek:

RootDKJ

Website
phresheez.com
I did this last year (and need to do it again). I didn't use any specific solvents, but I have read that nailing a strip of copper to the top will help slow future green-ness.

Anyway, here's my suggestions Pick a warm sunny day and be sure you have plenty of beer around (seriously). Wear eye protection. Everyt ime you move the ladder, remember to stay hydrated. Make sure you have plenty of time, it takes longer then you would expect. Don't spray your hand with the output of the wand. Have fun.

roark

Haven't done it but have some concerns about getting water under my vinyl siding.... So I'd probably try to do it from above as much as possible.

bvibert

Staff member
Haven't done it but have some concerns about getting water under my vinyl siding.... So I'd probably try to do it from above as much as possible.

I have no experience with it either, but that would be my concern as well.

andrec10

Hyde Park, NY...Hunter on Weekends in the Winter..
I pressure wash my house once a year wihout ever getting water under the siding. I use the pressure wash solution from Home depot where there are no shrubs, and car wash near the shrubs. Works fine and the house looks great! If you do it on a day like today, prepare to sweat your balls off!

bigbog

IME...seemed to work great..except for where the roof extends out ~1'+ (with underside venting) so needs the hand-wash there, which during warmest part of day can seem like basic training = but worthwhile afterwards....but the getting up on the ladder in old clothes, gloves, goggles..etc..on a hot day is just a lot of fun...lol. Don't do it on a hot, sunny day if you have the choice...the only stuff that was in local stores, if applied in hot sun, and not rinsed asap...can and did take on slight tint of its own for a few days....only tried it in small area = waited till next morning for best results.

$.01

wa-loaf

Just got a phone call from someone wanting to power wash my house. I don't have siding and the house was just painted last summer. :roll:

Warp Daddy

Just did my painted home today with a long hose accommodating extension pole equipped with a rinsing siding brush ,. We used some mild dishwashing liquid . Been doing this annually -- looks fine and is enviro friendly

JimG.

Staff member
I have seen several neighbors destroy their window screens by using too high a pressure setting.

In fact, at my old condo the association had to replace alot of screens when the power wash company they hired did the same thing.

So I learned the pressure setting dial is actually useful. Or just remove all your window screens before power washing.

o3jeff

IME...seemed to work great..except for where the roof extends out ~1'+ (with underside venting) so needs the hand-wash there, which during warmest part of day can seem like basic training = but worthwhile afterwards....but the getting up on the ladder in old clothes, gloves, goggles..etc..on a hot day is just a lot of fun...lol. Don't do it on a hot, sunny day if you have the choice...the only stuff that was in local stores, if applied in hot sun, and not rinsed asap...can and did take on slight tint of its own for a few days....only tried it in small area = waited till next morning for best results.

$.01

Thanks on the tip of not doing it in the sun, makes sense, but something I wouldn't of though of.