• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

PSA - How to cancel your EPIC Pass auto renewal

urungus

I don't understand why anybody would have auto-renew turned on in the first place. I'm pretty sure they don't give you anything extra for it.
Main benefit is that you will get the early bird price, if you are the forgetful/procrastinating sort.

abc

Main benefit is that you will get the early bird price, if you are the forgetful/procrastinating sort.
Vail wouldn't let you forget! I got gazzilion email reminding me to renew!

So no, there's zero benefit even if you're the forgetful type! .

drjeff

Vail wouldn't let you forget! I got gazzilion email reminding me to renew!

So no, there's zero benefit even if you're the forgetful type! .

About the only ways an existing EPIC Pass holder could forget about the early bird pricing deadline is if they either NEVER check their email or they tagged Vail Resorts emails to go directly into their spam box and never look their as well!

jimmywilson69

I leave it on AutoRenew its nice not having to think about it. I don't have a choice on my season pass product, so lets take something off my list things to remember. 🤷‍♂️

if I had a choice and my home mountain was one of the ones being run so poorly, you can damn well be assured that I wouldn't be on Auto Renew.

ericfromMA/NH/VT

Sign in. Click My Epic Account (top right) after you sign in and click on the Order History tab. Then click on the most recent Order Date in the list.

Auto Renew is noted in the order summary.

View attachment 52727
Thank you my friend, that worked!

Funny, I was dealing with this today and just had 2 different vail employees tell me over the phone there was no way to do it like this.....idiots. One of them was at the main corporate offices in Colorado, the first was in a call center in who knows where....

deadheadskier

Staff member
When I say morons, I mainly mean that these missing features are something that most people come to expect from a professional company that cares about their customers. They're just going to piss people off.

I actually logged in to double check my own status with them. No renewal, but they do still maintain a credit card of mine on file. I emailed them to remove that information as this was also something you cannot do on your own.

Update. Nearly one month later I received an email response. Their system doesn't allow for credit card removal. Once it is in the system, it's there until the card expires or you replace it with a new CC#. They cannot manually delete it.

That seems asinine to me. So even though I have zero intentions of spending money with Vail any time soon again, they get to hold my CC# hostage and leave me open to potential hackers.

Obviously any online transaction leaves one open to hacking, but it's pretty lame you can't request deletion of personal information. Out of curiosity I just logged into Amazon and it took two seconds to remove the credit card from my wallet with them. That should be the norm for consumers.

cdskier

Update. Nearly one month later I received an email response. Their system doesn't allow for credit card removal. Once it is in the system, it's there until the card expires or you replace it with a new CC#. They cannot manually delete it.

That seems asinine to me. So even though I have zero intentions of spending money with Vail any time soon again, they get to hold my CC# hostage and leave me open to potential hackers.

Obviously any online transaction leaves one open to hacking, but it's pretty lame you can't request deletion of personal information. Out of curiosity I just logged into Amazon and it took two seconds to remove the credit card from my wallet with them. That should be the norm for consumers.
Wow. That absolutely is asinine. There's no logical reason for designing a system that doesn't allow removal at all of a stored credit card. I'm actually somewhat curious if even expiration will remove it. There are a number of companies out there that actually can get updated expiration dates and other info from CC companies (as explained in this article). I can't think of an example off the top of my head, but I know there are places I had my CC info stored and went to update it after it expired and I received a new card only to find out it was already updated. I wouldn't be surprised if Vail participates in that...

deadheadskier

Staff member
Wow. That absolutely is asinine. There's no logical reason for designing a system that doesn't allow removal at all of a stored credit card. I'm actually somewhat curious if even expiration will remove it. There are a number of companies out there that actually can get updated expiration dates and other info from CC companies (as explained in this article). I can't think of an example off the top of my head, but I know there are places I had my CC info stored and went to update it after it expired and I received a new card only to find out it was already updated. I wouldn't be surprised if Vail participates in that...

Seems to me consumers deserve more control and protections.

SkiingInABlueDream

Very interesting. I guess an auto update of a cards expiration date would not surprise me, but auto update of a changed account number does surprise me.

I would like to believe (or, I want to hope) that the updater services as described in the article would only apply when the CC company is issuing a new/updated card because the current one is expiring and there's no evidence of fraudulent activity, and not when the card holder has specifically requested a new card number for any reason, especially fraudulent activity.

Edit. The article also says you can opt out of auto updates, but I have to wonder if that's intentionally difficult to do.

chuckstah

Update with a prepaid card with a nominal value of a dollar or so left.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Update with a prepaid card with a nominal value of a dollar or so left.

That's a good idea.

I'm not really all that neurotic about Vail getting hacked and my card compromised. But I have had it happen before.

It's more just the principle of a company telling me, "No, we will keep your credit card information whether you like it or not."

cdskier

Seems to me consumers deserve more control and protections.
On the one hand it is nice for things you legitimately use on a regular basis so you don't have to remember to update things manually...but there absolutely should be a way to remove the CC point blank if you choose.

It's more just the principle of a company telling me, "No, we will keep your credit card information whether you like it or not."

I wonder if this is something that would fall under the protections offered by the Colorado Privacy Act that was recently signed into law (goes into effect sometime in 2023 I think) since Vail is based in Colorado and seems to meet the thresholds defined in the law. One of the provisions of that law is that consumers have the right to request that their personal data be deleted, and companies subject to the law must delete the data if asked to do so.

zyk

So a question... I have an epic pass but have not activated it nor do I intend to so so. Will Vail try to auto renew my non activated pass for next year? Its a bit worriesome.

meff

So a question... I have an epic pass but have not activated it nor do I intend to so so. Will Vail try to auto renew my non activated pass for next year? Its a bit worriesome.

the pass was active the first day of the season.

doublediamond

Then in early season (not sure if still there now) what were the greeters at Sunapee outside the base lodge with signs saying “activate your pass here”?

BenedictGomez

Tell your credit card co . “ I suspect fraud” they’ll charge your numbers.

Yup. But they'll ask questions going that route. The easier path is to simply say you lost it. They'll cancel it immediately, you'll have a new card via US mail in 72 hours, and Vail is SOL.

BenedictGomez

I wonder if there's legislation on the table to require an easy out (ex- must be required option on website and have a mail-in option). I bet something like that becomes law in the next decade or so.

That's such populist low-hanging fruit it's amazing it hasn't happened yet. Someone whisper this idea in Chuck's ear.

BenedictGomez

About the only ways an existing EPIC Pass holder could forget about the early bird pricing deadline is if they either NEVER check their email or they tagged Vail Resorts emails to go directly into their spam box and never look their as well!

OMG, Vail is insufferable with the emails. I get individual emails from every Vail resort I've ever visited.
I even get emails from Breckenridge, which I cant figure out because while I've visited the town before, I've never actually skied that resort, which makes conspiracy theories dance in my head like sugar plum fairies.