• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

PSA - How to cancel your EPIC Pass auto renewal

BenedictGomez

I was dealing with this today and just had 2 different vail employees tell me over the phone there was no way to do it like this.....idiots. One of them was at the main corporate offices in Colorado, the first was in a call center in who knows where....

TRANSLATION: Vail doesn't even teach its own customer service employees how to delete automatic EPIC renewal.

Chew on that one for a moment folks.

Last edited:

meff

Then in early season (not sure if still there now) what were the greeters at Sunapee outside the base lodge with signs saying “activate your pass here”?

I've had an epic local since it came out and have never needed to activate it, even the first year when I got the local to replace my old Colorado pass.

abc

I'm not really all that neurotic about Vail getting hacked and my card compromised. But I have had it happen before.

It's more just the principle of a company telling me, "No, we will keep your credit card information whether you like it or not."
I'm always concerned about hacks to corporate database containing my CC cards. So I do what I can to minimize where my card number is stored. A matter of reducing the odds.

I found out many companies DO keep your numbers!

On the other hand, not all the companies verify the number stored in your account. In fact, majority don't check. So just give them a fake one and sleep just a tad easier.

zyk

So... just called to check on my auto renewal status and cancel if needed. Turns out that I was enrolled even though I had an account and pass I never activated this year. Ten minutes on the phone and it was cancelled. Will call in a few days to confirm as it seemed suspiciously easy...

Just an FYI for anyone else trying to opt out.

bigbob

I have e mailed Fail twice and have not received a response concerning cancelling my auto renew. I checked my order history and auto renew is still active. I have tried switching my CC number to a dead card and that did not work. I am going to call my bank and cancel the credit card, that way they do not have any cc information from me.
I thought a lawsuit was brought against Vail due to the difficulty on cancelling auto renew and the verdict was to make it as easy to cancel as it was to activate?

cdskier

I have e mailed Fail twice and have not received a response concerning cancelling my auto renew. I checked my order history and auto renew is still active. I have tried switching my CC number to a dead card and that did not work. I am going to call my bank and cancel the credit card, that way they do not have any cc information from me.
I thought a lawsuit was brought against Vail due to the difficulty on cancelling auto renew and the verdict was to make it as easy to cancel as it was to activate?
Have you tried calling them instead of e-mailing them? The post previous to yours in this thread seemed to indicate that was a pretty quick and simple process. Cancelling your CC seems like a rather drastic step unless you already also called them and received no response.

SkiingInABlueDream

if you do get charged after informing them you don't want to renew, you can report the charge as fraudulent to your CC company.
I guess it (kinda) sucks that the CC eats the expenses but at least you don't🤷‍♂️

bigbob

Have you tried calling them instead of e-mailing them? The post previous to yours in this thread seemed to indicate that was a pretty quick and simple process. Cancelling your CC seems like a rather drastic step unless you already also called them and received no response.
I would rather not have them keep an active CC number on file and why spend lots of time on the phone with Vail. And yes, I have e mailed them twice. I have not received a return e mail and checked my Epic account and auto renewal was still enabled.

skiur

if you do get charged after informing them you don't want to renew, you can report the charge as fraudulent to your CC company.
I guess it (kinda) sucks that the CC eats the expenses but at least you don't🤷‍♂️
The credit card company does not eat the charge, they take that money right back from the vendor.

bigbob

So despite sending Vail 2 emails requesting my auto renewal be canceled, i went ahead and lost my CC and had a new one issued by my bank. I received this e mail from vail the other day.:

It looks like the credit card we have on file for you needs to be updated in order to auto renew your pass and lock in the lowest price with the most benefits.

Please sign in to your account and update your payment method by May 24, 2022 to stay enrolled.

It looks like they do not do as they are asked as per their instructions. I will take no further action since the cc number they have on file is now dead.