• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Ragged gets a new GM

drjeff

Plenty of experience from his years at Mount Snow

Had the reputation of an employees friend GM. Let his marketing department and other admins below him handle more of the out front of the public side from my experiences.

Will likely do a ton wiht Ragged's instructors (Eric is a big tme PSIA guy) and their golf operations in the Summer

Newpylong

I'm not super excited about the move. Butt as long as he lets the directors continue their thing (all phenomenal) it should be okay. Gamble was practically retired as the GM anyway.

My hunch is the list of available candidates was extremely short.

There are no golf operations. The course has been closed for a decade, taken over by snowmaking ponds, parking lots, etc.

ericfromMA/NH/VT

Maybe he’ll get disc golf going.
or the planned expansion thats been planned for like 8 years now, is still shown on the trail map and has ZERO chance of happening anytime soon.

I love ragged. That expansion would take it to another level.

The last guy (He came from sunapee IIRC) was supposed to be THE GUY that was going to redo ragged and make it better. he did exactly squat.

source: season ticket holder 2016- 2020.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I question if Pinnacle Peak ever happens. Hard to imagine the ROI is there unless they sell a bunch of real estate to fund it.

Newpylong

or the planned expansion thats been planned for like 8 years now, is still shown on the trail map and has ZERO chance of happening anytime soon.

I love ragged. That expansion would take it to another level.

The last guy (He came from sunapee IIRC) was supposed to be THE GUY that was going to redo ragged and make it better. he did exactly squat.

source: season ticket holder 2016- 2020.

The thing is, I don't know many people who are really that concerned about "taking it to the next level". To the contrary the majority seem to want things to stay the same. For $345 we get a 6 pack, HSQ, amazing beginner area, great snowmaking and grooming, great trees, and a nice lodge. Who else can say that?

It's gotten more popular but the lifts are nearly walk on Sunday afternoons. If Pinnacle happens, it happens.

Jay Gamble did exactly what Ryan Schramm (the GM before him did), and that is keep the place going on the positive trajectory it has been. There were no expectations of him to do anything else.

I am a season pass holder (2013-present) and worked close with Ragged management from 2014-2017.

Last edited:

Newpylong

A stunt for sure. It started during that time of EB-5 which was a huge farce. There may be some tax deduction involved too.

No stunt, EB5 or tax deduction. It was logged, (like the other side of Cardigan) for the revenue. It just happens to be where future ski trails are planned. Notice it wasn't stumped and they didn't get too close to Easy Winder.

Last edited:

thebigo

Does anyone know what is going on with the sixer? I was going to take my four year old over for some carpet time tomorrow but not sure if they will be open.

Newpylong

I think they are still going to be down. Gonna be rough with all the rain today as it sets up by sun up.

Abubob

Website
tee.pub
This come from their Facebook page:

“Unfortunately our Summit Six Express chairlift is currently not operating because of an electrical issue. We are diligently working on resolving this as soon as possible. The mountain will be closed Monday, December 6, 2021. Please continue to check the website, snow report, and social channels for updates and accept our apology for any inconvenience this may have caused.”

I could swear this exact same thing happened last year … or was it the year before.

Newpylong

This come from their Facebook page:

“Unfortunately our Summit Six Express chairlift is currently not operating because of an electrical issue. We are diligently working on resolving this as soon as possible. The mountain will be closed Monday, December 6, 2021. Please continue to check the website, snow report, and social channels for updates and accept our apology for any inconvenience this may have caused.”

I could swear this exact same thing happened last year … or was it the year before.

It unfortunately happens to all lifts that's likely why it sounds familiar. It happened to Ragged last year for a day in early January, but Spear and Barnyard were open at least.

Last edited:

Abubob

Website
tee.pub
It unfortunately happens to all lifts that's likely why it sounds familiar. It happened to Ragged last year for a day in early January, but Spear and Barnyard were open at least.
That lift is almost 20 years old. How long before it needs to be replaced?

drjeff

It unfortunately happens to all lifts that's likely why it sounds familiar. It happened to Ragged last year for a day in early January, but Spear and Barnyard were open

Depends on numerous things, most importantly the regular maintenance, year round, that the resort does/hjas been doing.

For example, in the latets Storm Skiing Podcast, the GM of Wachusett, Jeff Crowley, was interviewed (great interview BTW) and he was talking about replacing their main HSQ which has been there for about 30 years and get a HUGE amount of hours on it annually, between the daily ski season schedule it operates for as well as its non ski season scenic chairlift ride schedule. He mentioned that because of their aggressive year round preventative maintenance schedule that the lift is in good shape, but its getting older, and technology as well as some potential lift capacity upgrades due to the volume of people they have the acreage for now vs when the left went in 30 years ago will likley have them replacing it in the next couple of seasons.

Industry wide, it seems like with detachables, if no pre-mature needs for upgrades in capacity are needed, that they have about a 30 year lifespan

Newpylong

Another 20 roughly. That lift is a spring chicken without many hours. No summer use and 12/1 to 4/1 season. No need to change capacity as well.

The issue with electrical problems on lifts is they often appear out of nowhere whereas mechanical there is a ramp up period to failure.

The lift is running on their Mountain Cam.

Last edited:

thebigo

It is running on the webcam, was planning on ragged tomorrow but may play it safe and head to loon.

Shit luck that the six had a major issue before spear and barnyard were ready, sure there is a high level of anxiety to get it running before the weekend.

Newpylong

Weekend is going to be a bust anyway.

Washout Saturday followed by boiler. Too bad too, Upper Ridge and Headline are done, Wild Side can't be too far off.

Might be hanging out on the Barnyard with my kids lol.