• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Receiver Announces that Burke has a Stalking Horse Bid and Deal will Close by End of 2024

thetrailboss

Staff member
Mikaela runs ads for ikon, how would she have any influence with vail, decides the fact she trains at vail
Yeah, this was before she was a rep for Alterra. Her family and her are CO and apparently knew the higher-ups at Vail. Again, it was a rumor.

I know that the interwebs are all thinking it is Vail that will buy it. I'd be quite surprised if that were the case. Vail is not in expansion mode.

Cobbold

Yeah, this was before she was a rep for Alterra. Her family and her are CO and apparently knew the higher-ups at Vail. Again, it was a rumor.

I know that the interwebs are all thinking it is Vail that will buy it. I'd be quite surprised if that were the case. Vail is not in expansion mode.

I think vail is always in an expansion mode , but where is the question, , my guess vail has a rating on every ski area in the country, some they want buy some they don’t, some they can’t , be shocked if Burke is on that list to buy, but what do I know, my guess Connecticut and a a ski area in metro Boston is what vail would consider, for new purchase in new england but again just my guess.

machski

It would not shock me if Boyne is dipping a toe in. They currently have no ops in Vermont but Burke isn't too far from Loon driving-wise. Could be a good reliever for them and I've always felt if in the right ownership group, Burke could be so much more than it is.

thetrailboss

Staff member
It would not shock me if Boyne is dipping a toe in. They currently have no ops in Vermont but Burke isn't too far from Loon driving-wise. Could be a good reliever for them and I've always felt if in the right ownership group, Burke could be so much more than it is.
Out of the ownership conglomerates, this is the best one IMHO. Best for service, operations, and improvements.

2planks2coasts

I'm willing to bet a lift ticket that it's folks affiliated with BMA. Weekday only though, as the rumor comes from a couple of former Burke employees, so maybe not the most reliable source. ;) Burke would be an excellent addition to the Boyne New England portfolio. Five fairly complementary resorts within 1-3 hours of each other. Talk about pass marketing power. Not sure they've digested their Pleasant Mountain acquisition enough yet to go for another helping though.

machski

I'm willing to bet a lift ticket that it's folks affiliated with BMA. Weekday only though, as the rumor comes from a couple of former Burke employees, so maybe not the most reliable source. ;) Burke would be an excellent addition to the Boyne New England portfolio. Five fairly complementary resorts within 1-3 hours of each other. Talk about pass marketing power. Not sure they've digested their Pleasant Mountain acquisition enough yet to go for another helping though.
True, Pleasant is still not on the NEP but first lift upgrade is underway this summer. Unlike Pleasant that needed some investment to get up to a point where it can be added to a multi pass product without overwhelming it, Burke does not. That is not to say it couldn't use some investments (particularly snowmaking which I would guess would be Boyne's initial upgrade pursuit if they did buy), but it could be added tomorrow to the NEP IMhO and handle that just fine.

thetrailboss

Staff member
I wonder if said BMA Benefactors teamed up with Boyne to operate it for them. The families wanted BEast’s owners to run it.

This would give Boyne a nice line of areas in the 2/302 corridor.

snoseek

I can't see it being any of the big 3, there is really no money to be made there.
I would say the same for vsil with places like wildcat and kirkwood but they scoop em up for a diverse resort portfolio to sell passes to a broader audience. Not sure if boyne would take that approach ever though.