• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Recommendations for Early Season Bachelor Party?

ZackM17

Hi all - I'm an East Coaster getting married next January and looking to set the contours of my bachelor party. I ideally want to do a ski trip somewhere out West (flexible on which state) in either the latter half of November or the first half of December. The group (about 8-10 people with myself included) has varying skill levels. Myself and a few others can ski anything, while others are beginners or might not do anything beyond blues.

Would y'all have thoughts on which resorts in the early part of next season would be most likely to have (1) the most terrain open overall and (2) open terrain of all difficulties? I know places like Loveland, A-Basin, and Mammoth usually open early but don't know what kind of trails open first or where else to look.

Also would appreciate any thoughts anyone has about lodging or travel for any good early-season targets!

LonghornSkier

Grand Targhee has the most consistent early season snowfall of any ski area in North America.

It has a pretty good variety of trails at all levels.

This website has lots of good info-lowest standard deviation of any ski area in North America.

tnt1234

Hi all - I'm an East Coaster getting married next January and looking to set the contours of my bachelor party. I ideally want to do a ski trip somewhere out West (flexible on which state) in either the latter half of November or the first half of December. The group (about 8-10 people with myself included) has varying skill levels. Myself and a few others can ski anything, while others are beginners or might not do anything beyond blues.

Would y'all have thoughts on which resorts in the early part of next season would be most likely to have (1) the most terrain open overall and (2) open terrain of all difficulties? I know places like Loveland, A-Basin, and Mammoth usually open early but don't know what kind of trails open first or where else to look.

Also would appreciate any thoughts anyone has about lodging or travel for any good early-season targets!
Are you guys boozers?

Alta/Snowbird does well early season, but having been there for the first time, surprisingly hard to get a good drink.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Are you guys boozers?

Alta/Snowbird does well early season, but having been there for the first time, surprisingly hard to get a good drink.
Was going to suggest SLC but Colorado has pot and Nevada has gambling. Why not Tahoe? Heavenly and Palisades? Fly into Reno. I’m not sure about early season. Mount Rose usually opens early.

4aprice

I've spent the last 3 Thanksgiving's out in Colorado. It's a family thing so we go regardless, but 2 of the 3 years the skiing was fairly limited. Last season was pretty decent so it can be good but generally things start to ramp up in December. The later you can wait the better it should be.

Tonyr

Mammoth is a pain in the butt to get to from the east coast but a good option. Nice bachelor party type atmospheres with potential early season snow, and easier to get to than Mammoth from the east coast, would be Heavenly, Palasides Tahoe, Steamboat, or Breckenridge. I'd try and choose from one of those 4 ski areas. Good luck!

crank

Steamboat. Except that my friends who where there in December said they had tons of snow but the mountain had a lack of employees and were slo getting terrain and lifts open.

But here you get a good chance at good early season snow and you have a nice town to go out and party in. Better for the intermediates than steeps lovers. However, fantastic bumps and trees.