• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

RIP Skiing Magazine

BenedictGomez

I used to subscribe to it.

For all the people < 25 on here, people used to pay money in the form of a check or via handwritten credit card numbers to subscribe to monthly periodicals made from paper, and they'd arrive at your physical mailbox once per month. You'd travel to the mailbox to retrieve it, paying careful attention lest a carnivorous dinosaur was skulking in the woods.

thetrailboss

Staff member

For all the people < 25 on here, people used to pay money in the form of a check or via handwritten credit card numbers to subscribe to monthly periodicals made from paper, and they'd arrive at your physical mailbox once per month.

Don't laugh. The article cites the fact that SKIING was given to almost anyone who bought a season pass, did a NASTAR race, etc. So while its subscriber ranks swelled, its revenue dipped.

bdfreetuna

I had noticed in the last year or so they'd gotten a lot more political and agenda driven. Lots of climate change stuff. They posted something recently about skiing being white privilege. Another thing about how skiing made somebody a feminist.

Whether you agree with stuff like that or not I don't think that's what most people want to read a skiing magazine for.

drjeff

I had noticed in the last year or so they'd gotten a lot more political and agenda driven. Lots of climate change stuff. They posted something recently about skiing being white privilege. Another thing about how skiing made somebody a feminist.

Whether you agree with stuff like that or not I don't think that's what most people want to read a skiing magazine for.

See the woes that Sports Illustrated is have now, as well as ESPN - Stick to what you're supposed to be about (Sports) and let the social/political pieces stay in publications and/or channels dedicated to that

When the editors of a magazine or network producers think that they have a distinct pulse on the wants/interests of their followers and take their magazine and/or network away from what it was founded on, what seems to happen is that they end up finding out that far more of their "fans" are interested in just the original topic it was founded on than what the publisher/producer is feeling the direction of their entity should be heading today.......

Edd

The ski industry, not just that magazine, expresses interest in climate change issues, and I can see angles on the white privilege thing. Can only guess on the feminist article.

If they relate to skiing, it seems like fair journalistic game. It wouldn't dissuade me from subscribing, but I don't subscribe to any of those mags.

Smellytele

Don't laugh. The article cites the fact that SKIING was given to almost anyone who bought a season pass, did a NASTAR race, etc. So while its subscriber ranks swelled, its revenue dipped.

I got both ski and skiing for free from going to the Boston Ski show. I wouldn't pay for either.

bdfreetuna

The ski industry, not just that magazine, expresses interest in climate change issues, and I can see angles on the white privilege thing. Can only guess on the feminist article.

What was interesting... I looked it up out of curiosity. The percentage of skiers that are white people is actually half a percentage point less than the percentage of Americans who are white, according to 2010 US census.

So if we are concerned with the idea of racial equality we'd actually need to proactively add a half % more white skiers in this country. But that was not the angle Skiing magazine took on the subject ;)

Jully

What was interesting... I looked it up out of curiosity. The percentage of skiers that are white people is actually half a percentage point less than the percentage of Americans who are white, according to 2010 US census.

So if we are concerned with the idea of racial equality we'd actually need to proactively add a half % more white skiers in this country. But that was not the angle Skiing magazine took on the subject ;)

I'm surprised by that number, but thats kind of cool. I had always just assumed it was still a very white sport.

bdfreetuna

I was kind of surprised too, but then again not really. A lot of the people I know are Puerto Rican, some Cubans and so forth. Among them about half have taken up skiing or snowboarding if they've moved to western Massachusetts or other areas with skiing available.

Very surprising level of enthusiasm for skiing and/or snowboarding, even if it's more casual or infrequent, among Latin people who have moved from much warmer climates.

cdskier

It has been a while since I subscribed to Skiing or Ski. I used to subscribe to both many years ago. Then I felt their content went downhill. More ads, less content. And the magazines seemed to often forget that the east even existed, which really put the nail in their coffin for me.

Abominable

For all the people < 25 on here, people used to pay money in the form of a check or via handwritten credit card numbers to subscribe to monthly periodicals made from paper, and they'd arrive at your physical mailbox once per month. You'd travel to the mailbox to retrieve it, paying careful attention lest a carnivorous dinosaur was skulking in the woods.

Or just have it sent to the school library and check the box for "bill me later"......

dlague

Can only guess on the feminist article.

I can only imagine, advanced/expert skiing caters mostly to men as a ratio men to women compared to men/women ration at other levels? I am sure there was a gear tie in there, too.

Also with Lines like these

Have you ever showed up to a chairlift on a powder day to find more women standing in line than men?

Jully

I was kind of surprised too, but then again not really. A lot of the people I know are Puerto Rican, some Cubans and so forth. Among them about half have taken up skiing or snowboarding if they've moved to western Massachusetts or other areas with skiing available.

Very surprising level of enthusiasm for skiing and/or snowboarding, even if it's more casual or infrequent, among Latin people who have moved from much warmer climates.

Very encouraging for the growth of the sport!

dlague

BTW go to Bear Mountain and Snow Summit in Southern California and you will see that snowboarding and skiing are very ethnically diverse sports there.