• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Road Biking - Maximum Distance per day?

Rambo

I have been road biking for almost 2 years and have built up my stamina to where I can go 38 miles out and 38 miles back for a total of 76 miles in one day.

I may be able to build and work up to be able to go a little furthur, like say 45 miles out and 45 back or 90 miles total.

I have a feeling thast if I tried for 100 miles in one day, it would put too much strain on my knees.

So I was wondering what kind maximum distance others have traveled in one day?

mondeo

Most I've ever done was 82, last year. Rule of thumb is increase distance 10% per week. I start out every summer with a ride to feel out where I am, and then go from there. Up to 67 yesterday and felt decent, gonna try for 70-75 tomorrow.

marcski

Westchester County, NY and a Mountain near you!
As far as distance, I've done a century and then a bunch of 75-80. But distance is just one factor....elevation gain as well as exertion level. There is a big difference in just 2-3 mph avg. speed over the course of a (longer) ride.

mlctvt

The most I've done is 113 hilly miles in Colorado. I do 5-6 Centuries a year but I'm not into extremely high mile days. My brother is a member of Randonneurs USA http://www.rusa.org
They do ridiculously high mile rides. I think their shortest event is a double metric Century (200K) but most of their events are 300K and up.

Marcski is right about the elevation being a major factor. I've done 55-60 mile rides that are much more difficult than some flat Centuries I've done. If you decide to try a century do a flat one first. Like the Flattest Century in the East hosted by Narragansett Bay wheelmen or The Seacoast Century hosted by The Granite State Wheelmen. If you can do a 70-80 mile ride you could easily do these centuries.

abc

There isn't a "maximum distance" per se, as pointed out by mlctvt. I've done a lot of centuries where at the end, I still have legs left but my butt was protesting (usually early season). Or I simply run out of daylight (usually late fall).

It's really just a matter of how many hours you're willing to sit on the saddle and how fast you can ride (sustain) per hour.

If your knee "can't take it" beyond 70-80 mi, there's something wrong with your riding positing or gearing. Or both. Get it looked at before you do more demage.

Last edited: