• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Rumor: Ragged to purchase Ascutney's Highspeed Quad

deadheadskier

Staff member
I definitely think there's at least a small market for slopeside at Ragged. Convenience is king for many busy folk. Next season I'll be making the switch to Gunstock from Ragged even though I prefer Ragged's terrain and mountain set up better. The 45 minute lesser commute makes a difference for me.

For someone from Boston who wants to keep their commute at around 2 hours and stay slopeside, you're options are pretty limited. I've met a surprising number of former Loon passholders at Ragged. Some people don't need 1800+ vert to enjoy themselves. Heck, MV_Frank says there's only 14 of those mountains in all of New England. ;)

bobbutts

Yeah personally I think Ragged is the best terrain south of Cannon in NH. Waterville, Loon, Sunapee, and Gunstock are all obviously better overall as far as infrastructure, but I can't really think of any runs at any of those places that I like as much as several at Ragged.
As much as even 2 HS lifts there seems excessive, Spear is really begging for a faster way up. Of course overspending and going belly up is the worst outcome. Donno what I'd do if it was my call.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Sugarloaf's new Spillway Quad is supposed to move at 500 feet per minute. That would be about an 8 minute ride at Ragged if they installed something similar. I'd be fine with that for Spear. I think currently that it's a 12 minute ride on Spear. A HSQ would likely be the same time length as the 6 pack, around 5 minutes.

As slow as the Spear is, I think it 'feels' slower than it is because it takes over twice as long to cover a bit shorter vertical than the 6 pack.