• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Saddleback - April 12, 2008

salsgang

Date(s) Skied: Saddleback

Resort or Ski Area: April 12, 2008

Conditions: Corn / Wet Snow

Trip Report: Sweet Spring Day at Saddleback. Temps mid 30's to around 50 mid day. Sun was in an out of the fog and a couple of showers.

Got on the hill about 10 and got some silky smooth turns on groomers Gray Ghost, Blue Devil and Royal Coachman / Lower Professor. Once things softened up a bit, we bounded into the glades and bumps. It was all great. Super soft snow and creamy moguls. The cover was excellent. We measured about 3 feet in the Nightmare glade.

Bump run of the day was Golden Smelt. Great soft bumps down this windy narrow trail. Upper Professor was good too and it was buried in snow. Peachy's Peril is a favorite and didn't disappoint either.

The wife and oldest boy rented some of those super-short skis. Snow Blades they call them? Anyway, was the first time my wife really enjoyed the bumps and woods. Easy to turn!

No pics but plenty of snow. Some slush around the base lodge and on parts of Gray Ghost... but they should be fine until their closing day on the 20th - particularly upper mountain. They didn't have the upper-T going for some reason, but we were satisfied off the Rangeley chair all day.

Last trip of the year... but we had a great year. Loads of fun. So if you are looking for plenty of soft stuff - head to Saddleback.

loafer89

Thanks for the report, we will be at Saddleback on wednesday or thrusday of next week depending on the snow conditions at Sugarloaf. Next weeks looks like a classic spring skiing week in Maine.

trtaylor

I didn't post a report, but I was there Wed-Fri (4/9-4/11).

Didn't get there until after lunch on Wednesday and things were really soft. Too soft. I either needed a warmer wax or to brush my bases more, as the snow was gripping.

Thursday was better, but cold enough that the top third (trails off of Rangeley chair) never softened up. But bottom two-thirds was fine.

Friday was outstanding - mid-winter conditions. We skied it until the lifts stopped turning. Outstanding way to end the season.

I am bad about forgetting the camera, but here are a few shots from my cell phone.

Top of Red Devil
RedDevil.jpg

Top of Grey Ghost
GreyGhost.jpg

Last edited: