• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

SB North/MRG 3/25-26/08

polski

Website
twitter.com
Date(s) Skied: March 25-26, 2008

Resort or Ski Area: Sugarbush North 3/25, Mad River Glen 3/26

Conditions: Packed powder & variable. Maybe an inch of snow/sleet/graupel at upper elevations of MRG today, enough to be noticeable in spots.

Trip Report:
Made my first foray to Sugarbush yesterday and decided to stick to Mt Ellen for the day. A bluebird day with incredible views from the summit -- you could pick out the trails at Whiteface. The morning made me realize groomers can be fun after all, though my style of skiing really has evolved away from that the past couple years. By afternoon with very slight softening I was venturing onto ungroomed. Favorites were three laps on Lower FIS and two on The Cliffs. Upper Exterminator was decent too but the surface was harder up there. Upper FIS was unskiable as the lower third to half was ice from trail edge to trail edge. Even today as I drove past on my way home, from German Flats Rd I could see the sun reflecting off the Upper FIS ice ... it'll be sweet when it corns up though.

I was so exhausted that when I got back to my room at KingM's place I couldn't even drag myself to the hot tub -- I crashed for a few hours before grabbing a bite to eat and coming back and crashing again.

This morning, after another 6 a.m. wakeup to watch the Red Sox game on TV (weird to watch regular season baseball yesterday and today before skiing), I headed to MRG. Occasional light snow/sleet. I felt real improvement in my skills over even a few months ago as I made some nice bump lines down Canyon. Lower Antelope and Lynx/Beaver also were great fun. I cannot say the same for Chute, which was mighty humbling today ... I'd dealt pretty well with crud on some other ungroomed trails but it seemed like there were a few layers of it here, hidden beneath a deceptive veneer of fresh snow. Ah well, at least now I have a clear winner for personal Ugliest Run of 2007/08 ...