• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Should I go to Whitefish MT?

crank

My ski club is going to Whitefish next February. Anybody been there? Terrain? Town? Lodging? Etc...

catskillman

I never been there but I only hear great things about the place go have fun.

I'd research the hell out of that place - I know several people that went and never saw their boots all week because of the fog. They have fog balls that they place in the middle of the trails so you can find your way down and the locals have all spraypainted their bindings florescant orange and wear headlights on their helmets! The mountain tour guys say that is the norm........

I have seen photo's from 2 seperarte trips and it was unreal. The "snow ghost trees are interesting to say the least.

jaytrem

My ski club is going to Whitefish next February. Anybody been there? Terrain? Town? Lodging? Etc...

I was there about 7 years ago or so. I liked it, but there's not much that I don't. It's not a huge place by western standards. I remember it skied smaller than I imagined, not that that's a terrible thing. Terrain was nice, but nothing too crazy. Crowds were light, pretty much ski on to every lift. Whitefish and Kalispell seem like "real" towns, Whitefish being the more quaint of the two. I think we stayed in the area for 3 nights. I really don't remember much about the towns other than the general feel. Though now I seem to recall some nice restaurant that my sister treated us to in Kalispell. The food was very good, but not a place you picture being in the MT. You also have Galcier National Park right there, good place for snow shoeing if you want a day off of skiing. We did that one morning then hit Blacktail ski area in the afternoon. That's about 15 minutes south of Kalispell, I remember they had some nice bump runs and we pretty much had the place to ourselves.

As for weather, it was sunny the whole time while we were there, so I didn't have to deal with the white out effect. The scenery is beautiful when it's clear. My sister was also there for a week a couple years before. It was sunny but bitter cold for the 1st half of the week, then they got dumped on and it was amazing. I don't recall them compaining about the fog, but they did metion how cool the snow ghosts are.

So should you go on the trip? Depends on what you like. If you need a huge mountain with lots of crazy terrain, probably not. If you're into the ski club group thing and prefer relatively uncrowded mountains and towns, sure why not?