• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Shuttle launch today

Greg

Staff member
Thanks for the link. It's supposed to launch at 3:51 p.m. EDT if the weather holds out for them.

dmc

Greg said:
Thanks for the link. It's supposed to launch at 3:51 p.m. EDT if the weather holds out for them.

Cant wait!!!

Anybody that was around in the 60's remember the launches back then and how exciting they were...?

ctenidae

The networks are actually going to interrupt regular programming to show the launch. That's cool, but cynical of them. Kind of like the cameras that always record Marine One and Air Force One taking off and landing- just in case.

JimG.

Staff member
ctenidae said:
The networks are actually going to interrupt regular programming to show the launch. That's cool, but cynical of them. Kind of like the cameras that always record Marine One and Air Force One taking off and landing- just in case.

Just in case what? There's a crash or explosion?

Really now C, who's being cynical here?

JimG.

Staff member
dmc said:
Anybody that was around in the 60's remember the launches back then and how exciting they were...?

I remember watching the Apollo missions and still recall watching the first moonwalk in 1969. I also remember the first orbit of the moon on Christmas in 1968.

Still very exciting for me...I would love to take a ride in the shuttle myself.

ChileMass

JimG. said:
dmc said:

I remember watching the Apollo missions and still recall watching the first moonwalk in 1969. I also remember the first orbit of the moon on Christmas in 1968.

It was cool back in the 60s whenever a launch happened, because basically everything came to a stop and everyone watched. It wasn't until like the 4th time they went to the moon that people started to get ho-hum about it.

ctenidae

Oh, I'll admit- I am cynical, but so are the networks. They really do film Air Force One and such just in case it crashes- don't want to be the only network not able to lead with that.

I'm truly glad they're going to show the launch- it's abotu time space got exciting again (one of the few things I agree with GWB on is a mission to Mars, though I fear that was fluffery on his part). The cynic in me wonders how many people are watching because of the NASCAR Effect. Me, I jus think it's cool- an amazing amount of power and amazingly out-dated technology, and it makes a lot of noise- kind of like an old Cobra, only without the camming.

JimG.

Staff member
ctenidae said:
Oh, I'll admit- I am cynical, but so are the networks. They really do film Air Force One and such just in case it crashes- don't want to be the only network not able to lead with that.

Tsk, tsk, and at such a young age. Guess I can't blame you.

If there is a God and there is an explosion, I can only hope that the wreckage falls right on the media area so they get some nice closeups before they're all incinerated.

JimG.

Staff member
ChileMass said:
It wasn't until like the 4th time they went to the moon that people started to get ho-hum about it.

People got very blase about it after Apollo 13 which was the most dramatic event for the space program during the Apollo missions.

That's not to say walking on the moon wasn't dramatic, but it is still the only example of a space flight going horribly wrong and yet all the astronauts were recovered alive.

SilentCal

I remember getting herded into the school library to watch some of the shuttle's first launches. I'd like to see us go to the moon again but going to Mars is a long shot. Anyone know if those two rovers are still functional on Mars?

dmc

JimG. said:
ChileMass said:
It wasn't until like the 4th time they went to the moon that people started to get ho-hum about it.

People got very blase about it after Apollo 13 which was the most dramatic event for the space program during the Apollo missions.

That's not to say walking on the moon wasn't dramatic, but it is still the only example of a space flight going horribly wrong and yet all the astronauts were recovered alive.

I remember being huddle around a small black and white TV at summer camp in 1969 watching the moon landing... Very vidid memory..

SilentCal

thank you for the link. These two rovers are amazing. Everyone though they would only last a couple weeks and they are still working. Kinda reminds me of the Voyager 1 and 2. I read a blip somewhere recently that one them left the solar system. Maybe someday, some aliens will return our wayward probe home. (yes I know they did it in Star Trek)

Greg

Staff member
SCRUBBED!

The launch of Discovery has been cancelled for today because of a faulty fuel tank sensor...bummer.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
ctenidae said:
wow, that's crazy! how many shuttle launches have happened over the last dozen years to little or no fan fare. it's funny how things are routine until the media decides it can make a specticle out of something. a year latter when launches are regular again, no media coverage.