• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Simple Poll. Helmets. Do you use them or no?

Do you use a helmet when you ski

• Yes

Votes: 79 89.8%
  • No

Votes: 6 6.8%
  • Sometimes

Votes: 3 3.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Ragman

We never used Helmets when I was skiing. Only the people who did the insane tricks and some mogul munchers did.

Nowadays I see everyone using them. Kind of like Bicycles. Never wore em as a kid and I dont now either.

Just wondering what everyone else opinion was on helmets. I dont see myself wearing one but I dont plan on skiing in the trees either.

But my son will be wearing one. hmm never thought about it with the bicycle thing but does this make me a hypocrite?:???:

WoodCore

Yes!

Converted to wearing a helmet about 4 years ago and now feel naked if it's not on my head.

skiNEwhere

Yes. Especially seeing as I like to ski the glades and there can be hidden branches under the snow that like to grab your skis.

Ragman

I know in NYS any child under the age of 14 must wear a bicycle helmet when riding but I see nothing about skiing.

Wondered also if anyone ever thinks this will become a legal issue?

skiNEwhere

There is some ski area in CT that requires them for everyone. I forget the name though.

trackbiker

I know in NYS any child under the age of 14 must wear a bicycle helmet when riding but I see nothing about skiing.

Wondered also if anyone ever thinks this will become a legal issue?

Didn't New Jersey pass a law that children have to wear helmets for all two of their ski areas?
Of course at Mountain Creek you may want to wear full body armor.

gmcunni

There is some ski area in CT that requires them for everyone. I forget the name though.

freedom of choice.. if you don't want to wear a helmet then don't but that choice may include not skiing/riding at certain resorts.. can't help but think insurance and law will creep further and further making it "mandatory" to wear appropriate head protection.

BenedictGomez

No. Riding a bicycle ≠ skiing. There are relatively few bike falls a helmet wont prevent trauma with. There are plenty of ski falls a helmet wont prevent trauma with. That said, I think it's smart to wear a helmet for both.

I didnt know if this was brought up before.

This is the 78th time.

Didn't New Jersey pass a law

Most likely.

Savemeasammy

Im sorry - I didnt know if this was brought up before.

Don't worry about it. EVERYTHING has been brought up before!

If you are the type of guy who is comfortable walking around in public in your underwear, then you will likely be immune to the odd feeling one gets when they are the ONLY person on the hill NOT wearing a helmet. Otherwise, you should probably get one.

To be honest, I wasn't sure that I would like a helmet either, but I find it to be warm and comfortable. Not to mention the added protection offered should your head ever come into unexpected contact with a much harder object. You know: ice, rocks, trees, etc...

Sent from my iPad using AlpineZone mobile app

Warp Daddy

Saved my life ,will not rehash old details but would have hit my head on the ICE in a violent way where it not for the headgear .

They are also comfortable , warm and have no negative effect on hearing others skiing nearby . As others have said it is now part of my refular gear everytime i ski .

BenedictGomez

Figures. That "study" they site the hospital did is somewhat bizarre though, in my experience young people are the MOST likely to wear a helmet (it's cool), not the LEAST likely.

Go into ski shops and kids are clamoring for them and enthusiastically picking them out with parents. I'm gonna call BS on that. It's older skiers who are more apt to not want to wear one.