• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Ski Areas Still Open Spring 2013

Conrad

Website
www.youtube.com
I just updated next weekend's ski areas. If you see a mistake or if some ski area gets sneaky and decides to reopen at the last minute, please let me know!

tekweezle

Many resorts are hanging in there and taking a shot at one more weekend. Of course there are the big boys who will play into May!

I thought Stratton was one of the "big boys", but I guess they are not immune to financial realities. Too bad but they got my money anyway and we made the best of skiing 3 lifts and the same 10-12 trails over and over.

Last season their season crashed in mid march due to the servere weather warm up. I wonder if that played a part in the planning and projections of many resorts.

Sent from a Samsung Fascinate running CM 10.1

MadMadWorld

Thanks for the update!

In other news, we are still waiting to hear what Mad River Glen's decision is for this weekend. Also, Burke decided not to reopen for this weekend unfortunately.

MRG decided to nix this weekend and will be closing for the season.

MadPatSki

Website
madpatski.wordpress.com
Thanks for the update!

In other news, we are still waiting to hear what Mad River Glen's decision is for this weekend. Also, Burke decided not to reopen for this weekend unfortunately.

I thought I had posted my updated list here (too many thread on Closing, Who's Open). 47 will probably be spinning this weekend. A few called it quits yesterday due to the forecast. The reasoning was no one is going to show if it's not sunny outside. Snowing in Ottawa, but it might change over to rain tomorrow. Two locals and a few others areas in the Laurentians, Townships and NY called it a season.

http://madpatski.wordpress.com/2013/04/10/eastern-closing-thread-2012-13-part-2/

MadPatSki

Website
madpatski.wordpress.com
Gotta love St-Sauveur!

Forecast is calling for 20-25cm in St.Sauveur today (10-15cm in Ottawa, but we got one hour of sleet this morning), however 60% chance of rain tomorrow. They should be a shoe-in to spin into May considered they always do and were the only ones in the East to manage it last year with the huge mid-March meltdown.

I still have a few patches of snow on my lawn and I'm pretty close to downtown Ottawa. North facing Mt. Royal in Montreal was still white last Sunday, so I can only imagine 35 miles north with a ton of artificial snow. 15 miles from downtown, we still Camp Fortune that is schedule to open this weekend.

Conrad

Website
www.youtube.com
A couple more updates in the New York section. It's nice to see those places staying open on weekends as long as conditions last. Greek Peak is the only uncertainty.

MadPatSki

Website
madpatski.wordpress.com
Some great conditions out there.

Sunday afternoon update for my list of Closing (Part 2 - see link above for full list):
A few ski areas decided to try to get an extra weekend and make to April 21. The list is still preliminary now, but here are the one talking about trying to move their closing day:
QC: Édouard
ON: Blue Mtn
NY :Gore, Whiteface
VT: Snow
A full and complete update will be made for Part 3 of the Eastern Closing Thread which should be up by midweek. Right now the high number of open ski areas next weekend would be around 20.

drjeff

Snowed/grauppled most of the day today at Mount Snow! The top 1/3rd never softened!! Racked up 30 runs, 35k verts and 40 miles of skiing today! Too bad tomorrow is more than likely closing day due to lack of crowds :( Tons of snow here still

MadPatSki

Website
madpatski.wordpress.com
Snowed/grauppled most of the day today at Mount Snow! The top 1/3rd never softened!! Racked up 30 runs, 35k verts and 40 miles of skiing today! Too bad tomorrow is more than likely closing day due to lack of crowds :( Tons of snow here still

I mentioned above that Snow is thinking one more weekend. However you are right, many areas are closing with lots of snow. I'll get a full update up on who's looking to open next weekend in the next few days on Ski Mad World.

Sunapee is done for the season. There is enough snow to stay open for another weekend but there just aren't enough crowds for it to make sense money wise

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Was at Smuggs Sat and Sun this weekend. Skiing was fantastic but no one was there. The weather did look suspect but turned out okay.

I wonder if skiers and riders aren't coming out because of the weather. Would there be more crowds if we had a great run of spring skiing? Its been three weekends in a row that don't quite meet peak spring corn skiing criteria for most mountains, especially northern mountains.

Makes me wonder what next weekend is going to be like. A LOT less options. With good weather and spring corn conditions (hopefully), crowds might be strong next weekend especially due to pent up demand during these past two weekends of less than satisfactory spring weather. We'll see what happens. But having fewer options should increase "crowds" at areas still open to hopefully make them some money and justify the investment. Doesn't seem like almost any areas are going past next weekend (just the usual May suspects) despite many areas still being totally covered.

Conrad

Website
www.youtube.com
Was at Smuggs Sat and Sun this weekend. Skiing was fantastic but no one was there. The weather did look suspect but turned out okay.

I wonder if skiers and riders aren't coming out because of the weather. Would there be more crowds if we had a great run of spring skiing? Its been three weekends in a row that don't quite meet peak spring corn skiing criteria for most mountains, especially northern mountains.

Makes me wonder what next weekend is going to be like. A LOT less options. With good weather and spring corn conditions (hopefully), crowds might be strong next weekend especially due to pent up demand during these past two weekends of less than satisfactory spring weather. We'll see what happens. But having fewer options should increase "crowds" at areas still open to hopefully make them some money and justify the investment. Doesn't seem like almost any areas are going past next weekend (just the usual May suspects) despite many areas still being totally covered.

I was at Jay Peak this weekend and there was a good amount of people, especially considering that it was snowing on the mountain, but probably raining everywhere else.

bigbob

We may have to wait till summer to get spring conditions this season!

Conrad

Website
www.youtube.com
I just updated the thread and it looks like ski areas in Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, New York, and Pennsylvania will still be open this weekend! As always, I could have missed something so let me know if something is missing or needs to be fixed.

ski stef

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Non east coast-- Breck just spilled the beans they will reopen this weekend due to snow conditions!

drjeff

Put Mount Snow on the "re-opening" list!

Saturday + Sunday, Nitro Express at Carinthia + Bear Trap Double if the snow back there doesn't melt out this week! They're grooming out the Mineshaft - Inferno route for the non park crowd! :)