• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Ski Butternut - 2/29/04

skijay

Date Skied: 2/29/04 , 11:30am to 2:30pm
Ski Area: Butternut
Conditions: 48 degrees, sunny, mashed potato snow
Trip Report:

After conquering a sinus condition this week I felt the need for some fresh air even though I can not smell anything yet and my ears have not unplugged. The place was packed due to a Mountain Due sponsored race & event, Special Olympics race event and great weather. Thank God for my mud & snow tires I purchased for my vehicle. It helped me drive through about 6 inches of mud to a nice safe parking space on the ice on the upper lot. I am glad I left before 4 pm as the lower lots looked like it was to be a mud bog race to the exit.

I avoided the quad and alternated using the triple and Highline double lift. Main street had a timed slalom event going on and there was huge line for it. The Special Olympics slalom was on the upper part of Main street. When Butternut is crowded you can avoid crowds by skiing on the trails to the right of the double and the trails accessible by the Overbrook triple.

I like the fact that the snow was not slushy and more like mashed potatoes today. It was warm enough for just a fleece pullover and a baseball cap. If anybody has Monday off, take advantage of the warm weather and the just right spring conditions before the dreaded r**n comes!