• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Ski industry looking for new cultures/ethnicities to get on slopes?

BenedictGomez

Examples for the latter part of your point?

As someone who plays violin, that one comes to mind immediately. A high percentage of violin players tend to be Asian if you view XYZ random orchestra. I have absolutely, positively, no idea why, but as a function of percentage that's a good outlier example*. Soccer would be a good Hispanic example to keep it in the sports world.

*Not that anyone here is likely interested in violin valuation, but that's one of the reasons why violin prices have soared for higher-end instruments during the last few decades.

bigbog

I've always found it odd that whenever white folk generally do something that other races generally don't do, it's a HUGE problem that must be immediately addressed and then solved.

But whenever Asians or Blacks or Hispanics or (insert race or culture here) generally do something that white folk generally dont do, nobody notices, much less gives a rat's ass.

Just my guess...but I think people of differing ethnicity/culture/geographic-background DO different things..often not because it's THE thing to do when you begin making ~50k, but because it's "enjoyable for them" = how people adapt-to/play-in their local environment, or in the environment where that activity exists....fwiw.

Last edited:

Tin

All about SES. The issues I see is most individuals who fall into a lower SES bracket typically live in a more developed area and ski areas are not exactly right down the street to a Boston, Providence, or Manchester in comparison to the local baseball, football, or soccer field. This is the same problem with playing hockey, half of your time on the ice will be at a different rink that could be an hour and a half away. We talk about how cheap we can ski with coupons and buy one get one free deals but for a family for four that is usually still a $120+ day before food and gas. If it is just one child for a season you will still pay $250+ and lots of time driving. Compare this to signing your child up in a town baseball, soccer, or softball league that lasts that is significantly cheaper and probably has better socialization with his or her peers.

Skiing is a sport that involves a great deal of travel for most and is still a VERY expensive sport. In the past year I've noticed more people from Asian countries (specifically Korea and India) on the slopes, now it is just my personal observation and does not carry over but people from both these countries typically fall in a higher SES bracket than Blacks, Latino/Latinas, and people from other Asian countries.

So I'm still blaming it all on $.

SIKSKIER

All about SES. The issues I see is most individuals who fall into a lower SES bracket typically live in a more developed area and ski areas are not exactly right down the street to a Boston, Providence, or Manchester .

Manchester would be a bad example as it has a perfect setup for low income inner city kids with the very affordable Mcintyre ski area right in the city.

Tin

Forgot all about that. You're still paying $220 for a child's season pass though which falls into the other argument.

dlague

The other problem is soccer and baseball run clinics in the winter the hockey and basketball are also during the winter. Once a child starts playing on travel teams the sport can turn into a year round sport. We had two kids that did soccer year round and it cramped our style. Kids look to these sports for potential scholarships where as skiing not so much. BTW year round sports are generally over $1000 per year which makes it tough if you want to throw in skiing. These sports also have a huge draw on a variety of ethnic groups. I still think if the parents are not interested then the kids will not get much if any exposure!

Smellytele

Pats Peak has buses that come up from Boston on weekends. While they are mostly Asian, other minorities and on them as well. Yesterday they had diversity day as well to get minorities involved. They also are involved with an African American ski club out of Mass as well.

Not Sure

Website
www.youtube.com
Pa.
Maybe ahead of the curve,Camelback is known as the UN by the locals, Proximity to NY city may have something to do with that.
A friend of mine used to instruct at Blue Mt. , He commented about all the Indian students he had and the lack of leg muscle mass they had as a possible explanation of the difficulties they had in progressing.
Time will change

MadMadWorld

The ski industry is just trying to get new skiers in general! They don't care where they come from really. It's one of the biggest issues effecting ski resorts, the inability to attract new skiers and boarders.

Mullen

The industry is looking to attract new cultures etc....yet some resorts still don't even let you slide down the hill sideways. weird.

abc

The industry is looking to attract new cultures etc....yet some resorts still don't even let you slide down the hill sideways. weird.
Some? Just 1 in the northeast. And it was very clear they don't want more participation. So perfectly inline with their business, regardless what the rest of the "industry" do.