• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Skier speed trap hell

x10003q

Wow! The forum was only up for about 24 hrs, there’re 2 pages of anti-train arguments!

I wonder how many more pages it would have had the forum stay up for the week?

Next to guns, cars are the item most tied up in people’s self identity. “You have to ply it out of my cold dead hands”.

Not even close. For many people, no car, no work. When I commuted into NYC I took the train. When I changed jobs and there was no mass transit to the job, I needed the car. The car is a time machine. It saves massive amount of time.

bdfreetuna

Self defense is a right and a responsibility. Ownership or use of firearms evokes very little passion in me. Going to the range isn't very exciting (to me) and if the world was a nice place I'd have zero interest in firearms.

Driving is not a right although one could argue freedom of mobility is a negative right. For some as x10003q stated, it is a time machine, a means of transportation necessary for employment at the very least.

That puts it about equal to firearms in terms of it being a necessity, although some folks don't consider means of self defense a necessity due to a different outlook on the world, I consider working and self-defense equally high-order needs.

Anyway horsepower > firepower but everyone should have both ;)

Domeskier

Not even close. For many people, no car, no work.

Sounds like the real problem is giving people the freedom to choose where to live and work. This would not happen in an enlightened society based on a nineteenth century mode of transportation.

2Planker

Public transportation in Boston doesn't run frequently enough to get me to work for 6am. At night I can drive home in 25-30 mins vs 1 1/2-2 hours minimum for the subway/bus combo.. Everything shuts down by 1am so if you're on nights you're pretty much screwed.... T is NOT reliable, especially in inclement weather, it's also pretty dirty, and waiting outside in Cold or rain sucks.

bdfreetuna

As winter enthusiasts, we should all be introducing as much soot particles as humanly possible to the atmosphere in order to ensure the survival of our sport.

abc

Self defense is a right and a responsibility. Ownership or use of firearms evokes very little passion in me. Going to the range isn't very exciting (to me) and if the world was a nice place I'd have zero interest in firearms.

Driving is not a right although one could argue freedom of mobility is a negative right. For some as x10003q stated, it is a time machine, a means of transportation necessary for employment at the very least.

That puts it about equal to firearms in terms of it being a necessity, although some folks don't consider means of self defense a necessity due to a different outlook on the world, I consider working and self-defense equally high-order needs.

Anyway horsepower > firepower but everyone should have both ;)
I feel the opposite.

I enjoy shooting. Working out the wind and humidity. Nailing bulls eye a hundred yard away. It's as satisfying as a smooth rhythmic dance down Superstar. Fun stuff for those who have the right attitude. (I don't care for the blasting the whole clip in full auto into a stop sign 20 yard away. Boring)

But self-defense? Nah. How many here pack heat while on the slope? I bet very very few. So what if you end up in a confrontation? Your weapon isn't there with you aren't going to help you. I thought long and hard about keeping a gun at home for self defense, and in the end decided against it. The risk of accident far outweighs any potential it'll ever come in useful in a break-in.

Driving to me is a drudgery. A necessary evil to get to work or get to the mountain. I don't really "enjoy" driving. Can't wait for the end of those 5 hr drive in the dead of night after a long day of skiing or a long day in the office.

I don't consider either as necessary. Both are fun toys for some, indispensable but expensive and complicated tools for others.

BenedictGomez

I thought long and hard about keeping a gun at home for self defense, and in the end decided against it. The risk of accident far outweighs any potential it'll ever come in useful in a break-in.

Then you made the right choice. Gun ownership is a major responsibility, if you dont think you can properly maintain that level of care then it's irresponsible to own a firearm.

abc

When there’s children in the house, it’s particularly difficult. They’re smarter than we give them credit for. But dumber than we fear.

When I was 6 or 7, I managed to get my hand on a gun from the safe. I overheard the access code when my parent gave it to my aunt. I was in the process of putting bullet into the gun when my Mom walked in. Was mighty proud of it because I really impressed my cousin. Didn’t really understand the gravity untill much later. Fortunately for me, my parents stopped keeping guns around the house since that incident.

(There are various ways to keep guns “safer”. But they slow the access so it’s useless for defense against break-in)

I dont want to deal with that responsibility when the positive potential is next to zero.

BenedictGomez

There are various ways to keep guns “safer”. But they slow the access so it’s useless for defense against break-in

The high-end biometric safes are very quick, definitely not "useless" against break-in.

In terms of larger storage where speed isn't an issue, a well-constructed dial safe eliminates any chance of little ones gaining access. Most toddlers don't carry plasma torches!

Scruffy

People that feel they need to have guns for home self defense are living in the wrong place. I leave my doors unlocked most of the time.
My hunting guns are locked up and useless for self defense. I like it that way.

BenedictGomez

It was a dial safe that I managed to open as a 6-7 year old!

Why did someone teach you how to open the gun safe at the age of 6 years old? And how did you know the correct turn pattern, or did you overhear that too?

People that feel they need to have guns for home self defense are living in the wrong place. I leave my doors unlocked most of the time. My hunting guns are locked up and useless for self defense. I like it that way.

People who care about self-defense are living in the wrong place; where do you live? I dont know that place.

I live in one of the lowest crime places there is, my mother worked as the secretary for the chief of police here for over a decade, and I definitely care about self-defense. Even here in Pleasantville.

abc

Why did someone teach you how to open the gun safe at the age of 6 years old? And how did you know the correct turn pattern, or did you overhear that too?
No one taught me how to open the safe. Yes, I overheard the turn pattern earlier, at separate occasion.

You seem to miss my earlier point. So let me repeat it again:

Children are smarter than we give them credit for, yet they’re also dumber than we fear

As a 6-7 year old, I've seen guns in movies. A toy that makes a hell of a noise, and scare the hell out of people (running away at the sight of it) was just irresistible! I had no comprehension that the "noise" and "scare" was related and cause for severe consequence. So when my cousin came to visit, it seemed a perfect occasion to show off that impressive noise maker from the safe!

The only reason I didn't get to blow my cousin's head off was because, as responsible gun owners who follow good practice, the guns were stored unloaded. In the time it took for the 2 of us (my cousin was a year older) to find the bullet, figure out which way the bullet goes into the clip, my Mom came in for something else and found us with a "toy" that don't belong to us!

Last edited:

Scruffy

People who care about self-defense are living in the wrong place; where do you live? I dont know that place.

I live in one of the lowest crime places there is, my mother worked as the secretary for the chief of police here for over a decade, and I definitely care about self-defense. Even here in Pleasantville.

Pretty much.

I don't live in fear that I need a gun for self defense, simple as that. If I did, I'd move.

If you live in one of lowest crime places, why do you feel you need a gun for self defense?

deadheadskier

Staff member
I have a far greater fear of an accident happening with a gun in the house than I do ever needing a gun for self defense. The amount of random gun violence in NH is practically zero. Any shootings that do happen are either crimes of passion, drug deal related or small pockets of gang activity in Nashua or Manchester. The boogyman coming through my door wishing to do harm to my family is just that; the boogyman.

I actually called the cops for the first time in ten years living in our condo a couple of weeks ago. A neighbor had a drunk visitor who was damaging property in the common areas and threatening violence to those wanting to stop him. Cops were here in 2 minutes. I'll let the professionals handle my security needs if I ever need them. That's what I pay taxes for.

Not sure how we've gone from a transportation discussion to firearms. There is literally zero parallel. Guess that means it's summer.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using AlpineZone mobile app

BenedictGomez

The only reason I didn't get to blow my cousin's head off was because, as responsible gun owners who follow good practice, the guns were stored unloaded.

With all due respect, your father was obviously not a "responsible gun owner", given he hadn't taught his children not to play with guns. That was beaten into my head at such a young age that I literally cannot even remember the actual lesson(s). I was shooting by the age of 8 (supervised obviously) and knew that a gun was a deadly weapon and not a toy long before my first shooting lesson.

If you live in one of lowest crime places, why do you feel you need a gun for self defense?

Reality.

Not Sure

Website
www.youtube.com
Yin/Yang Subject ....I have a friend who was killed on his front porch ,shot in the chest ( Not what is considered a bad part of town ).He had many books on Gandhi ,was a pacifist and always avoided confrontation.

I also have a friend who's mother is in a permanently wheelchair ,beaten almost to death in a home invasion .

When seconds count the cops are there in minutes

abc

Question is, would he/she had their gun in their hand at the time to use? Or would they be just as dead because the gun is in a safe at the back of the house?

When seconds count, how many can get to your gun?

Not Sure

Website
www.youtube.com
Former , crime was never solved. He went for a pizza and was confronted outside his house and didn't comply with the assailants demand and went in his house and faced the person through the screen door and was shot. If he had a concealed carry he would have had a chance?

Latter , the 2 men kicked her door in ....took a minute or two in the process. She could have had a chance as well .

This thread could go down a rat hole ...so I wont post other examples. Lots of emotion on both sides....Peace

abc

With all due respect, your father was obviously not a "responsible gun owner", given he hadn't taught his children not to play with guns. That was beaten into my head at such a young age that I literally cannot even remember the actual lesson(s). I was shooting by the age of 8 (supervised obviously) and knew that a gun was a deadly weapon and not a toy long before my first shooting lesson.
You don’t seem to read too well...

I was at most 7, may be 6.