• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Skiing Burke

therobertcollins

I will be skiing Burke on Friday. Does anybody have any suggestions on trails or glades. Also, any tips on making the most out of my day would be appreciated. I'm not looking for any secret stash or anything, but any info would be nice. Also, sorry if this is a repost.

VTKilarney

Burke is a somewhat tricky mountain. Some of the trails are not at all intuitive as to how to get to them, and the trail map is wrong in at least one case that I know of. Signage could be better as well.

If you want to ski glades, my advice would be to get to the Powderhorn trail either via Wilderness or Upper Dipper. Lots of easy to find glades begin off of the Powderhorn trail. The entrance to Powderhorn from Upper Dipper is at the bottom of the first steep. There is a small sign on the right hand side that you should look out for.

Dippers are the best cruisers if you want some sections with decent pitch, but be aware that Deer Run crosses at a 90 degree angle in more than one place. If you don't want to worry about crossing traffic, Willoughby is a safer bet.

East Bowl is a great old-school New England trail. Just be sure to carry as much speed as possible at the end in anticipation of the long run out.

The Gap is not at all steep, but it doesn't get many skiers and can have powder while other trails have been skied off. Don't let the black diamond rating on the sign fool you.

If you need a ticket, be sure to park at the lower (Sherburne) lodge.

therobertcollins

Burke is a somewhat tricky mountain. Some of the trails are not at all intuitive as to how to get to them, and the trail map is wrong in at least one case that I know of. Signage could be better as well.

If you want to ski glades, my advice would be to get to the Powderhorn trail either via Wilderness or Upper Dipper. Lots of easy to find glades begin off of the Powderhorn trail. The entrance to Powderhorn from Upper Dipper is at the bottom of the first steep. There is a small sign on the right hand side that you should look out for.

Dippers are the best cruisers if you want some sections with decent pitch, but be aware that Deer Run crosses at a 90 degree angle in more than one place. If you don't want to worry about crossing traffic, Willoughby is a safer bet.

East Bowl is a great old-school New England trail. Just be sure to carry as much speed as possible at the end in anticipation of the long run out.

The Gap is not at all steep, but it doesn't get many skiers and can have powder while other trails have been skied off. Don't let the black diamond rating on the sign fool you.

If you need a ticket, be sure to park at the lower (Sherburne) lodge.

how do the Double Diamonds compare to Black trails at Jay?

Last edited:

VTKilarney

Another tip regarding Burke: Since the mountain faces almost due north, flat light is more of an issue on the east side of the mountain in the afternoon.

burski

So, steep and tight?

overall steep, some sections more than others, same with the tightness, there are areas where it "opens up a bit" not overall so - I think the spacing is very good.

The jungle is probably the most challenging marked glade on the mountain the upper section is very steep and very tight, the spacing opens up a bit more after the first few hundred yards - when there is good snow this is a fun glade.

MadMadWorld

overall steep, some sections more than others, same with the tightness, there are areas where it "opens up a bit" not overall so - I think the spacing is very good.

The jungle is probably the most challenging marked glade on the mountain the upper section is very steep and very tight, the spacing opens up a bit more after the first few hundred yards - when there is good snow this is a fun glade.

I didn't find the jungle to be as challenging as the top and middle of Dixie but maybe that's because I did it first run of the day. Jungle was fun though. They need to develop that area to skiers left (I'm sure someone already has)

from_the_NEK

Website
fineartamerica.com
what do the single diamonds compare to for trails at jay?

The geometry of the two mountains are very different which makes the character of the trails very different. But here is a list that could probably be better if I spent more than 2 minutes on it.

Trails:
Rerun = Can Am under the quad but longer and more interesting.
Doug's Drop-to-Lower Dougs = Kitzbuel-ish
Lew's Leap = Green Beret in hardwoods
Ledges = Exhibition without a chairlift
Wilderness = Upper Milk Run