• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Skiing is back!

slatham

No but VT has electric signs at the border saying if you are coming to the state to stay you need to shelter in place for 2 weeks...

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

And technically, that is a suggestion - and a very good one if you have not already been in quarantine. But it does not have the power of the law. I've been sheltering at home for 6 weeks. Just crossing the NY/VT border doesn't negate that. Or put anyone at risk.

But I have no plans to cross that border until VT further loosens their guidance.

dblskifanatic

And now those season passholders have a big advantage.

I can see a "stay in your state to ski" mandate for this coming season which I would not be happy about. Better to know now than in October. Might have to save on that K/Ikon pass for this season who knows what after that.

Living Colorado I am ok with ski in your own state!

thetrailboss

Staff member
Before folks come out here realize that Salt Lake County is still on lockdown until at least May 15. Maybe longer. Of course if it reopens, and Snowbird decides to re-open, it is going to be a complete shit show.

Glenn

Sings at the boarders state "urged" not required to quarantine.

2Planker

Last edited:

slatham

This is mostly a marketing stunt and would not be economical at any area if you follow Mount Baldy’s practice.

Similar to how a golf course operates Mt Baldy will check-in a maximum of 4 individuals at 10 minute intervals.

So max of 24 people per hour will be checked in

nhskier1969

Sorry, REQUIRED in RI for all people coming from out of state, unless work related

https://health.ri.gov/diseases/ncov2019/

Who must quarantine due to high risk for developing COVID-19?

"Any person coming to Rhode Island from another state for a non-work-related purpose for 14 days after arrival (public health, public safety, and healthcare workers are exempt).."

I could be wrong but they can't stop you from going into a state and then back to your own state. I believe that is called taking away your liberties.
If government continues this thru May. People will have cabin fever, they will go out anyway. There will be bigger and bigger protests against the government.
If the government issued social distance from the Beginning and recommend US citizens to wear mask in high density areas, we wouldn't be in this situation we are currently in.

MEtoVTSkier

Yep, and if you show up on Block Island, RI by boat, it's 2 weeks mandatory ON YOUR BOAT! You won't be allowed to land/access for 2 weeks.

BenedictGomez

I could be wrong but they can't stop you from going into a state and then back to your own state. I believe that is called taking away your liberties.
If government continues this thru May. People will have cabin fever, they will go out anyway. There will be bigger and bigger protests against the government.

I'd never heard of the governor of RI before this, but she has been one of the most extreme. Probably the most extreme in America AFAIK.

She may wind up bankrupting little Rhode Island in legal fees before this is over!

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!

It's already happened. Today broke the "new cases per day" record in the US. In my personal travels in-town in CT people auto traffic is WAYYYY up compared to 2 weeks ago. I'd say at 60-75% the normal amount of vehicles on the road. Two weeks ago it was desolate. Today the line for the drive-thru for Chick-fil-a was out onto the street. People just want to get out of the house.

A couple articles I read had determined that roughly 10% of LA and 20% of NYC tested positive for antibodies already...a slow growth to heard immunity is hellova lot faster than waiting a year for a vaccine.

Zermatt

It's already happened. Today broke the "new cases per day" record in the US. In my personal travels in-town in CT people auto traffic is WAYYYY up compared to 2 weeks ago. I'd say at 60-75% the normal amount of vehicles on the road. Two weeks ago it was desolate. Today the line for the drive-thru for Chick-fil-a was out onto the street. People just want to get out of the house.

A couple articles I read had determined that roughly 10% of LA and 20% of NYC tested positive for antibodies already...a slow growth to heard immunity is hellova lot faster than waiting a year for a vaccine.

Just a little statistics lesson. New cases per day doesn't mean anything if it only goes up because more tests are being done. It is the % positive rate that matters. If that rate stays the same it means you are only capturing more cases because you are doing more testing (not because more people are sick).

nhskier1969

+1

I was reading in the Harvard medical journal. They were saying 30-55 times more people have or had coronavirus and didn't show any symptoms. They feel when all said in done the mortality rate will be closer to .1% and the flu is .06%.
Another interesting fact they brought up. children under 12 are effected more with the Flu than conaronavirus. Where the coronavirus effects more old and doesn't affect the young like the Flu.
Lastly, Boston as of Wednesday only 40% of the beds that Boston Hospitals have for Coronavirus symptoms were filled.

Last edited:

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
+1

I was reading in the Harvard medical journal. They were saying 30-55 times more people have or had coronavirus and didn't show any symptoms. They feel when all said in done the mortality rate will be closer to .1% and the flu is .06%.
Another interesting fact they brought up. children under 12 are effected more with the Flu than conaronavirus. Where the coronavirus effects more old and doesn't affect the young like the Flu.
Lastly, Boston as of Wednesday only 40% of the beds that Boston Hospitals have for Coronavirus symptoms were filled.

Yes that's another article I read. We're going to be at 1 million confirmed cases in the US by Monday. If the reality is 30-55 million people have had this already and are immune to it then we're already a significant portion of the way towards herd immunity.

I'm interested to see how people will look back at this in the future. Social distancing was effective in that it slowed the spread to let hospitals develop their resources (evident now by stories of hospitals operating at a fraction of their capacity). It was not effective in stopping the chain of transmission, which, I'm sure a lot of people thought would happen with all the "oh we'll be back to normal in 6 weeks!" comments".

We really just need to let this thing run it's course. Don't be irresponsible- concerts, amusement parks, arenas, etc are probably off limits for a while still but daily activities where one person may infect a few people (not hundreds) should be acceptable. This thing spreads wayyyy too easily for anyone to think we're going to get rid of it with the measures we're taking now. China literally locked people in their houses in Wuhan- no autos, no mass transit, no one allowed in/out of the city, no going out for exercise- and they still couldn't totally stop it.

mbedle

Let's just hope that immunity occurs and last. At this point, there is no proof that immunity occurs with Covid-19.

BenedictGomez

Let's just hope that immunity occurs and last. At this point, there is no proof that immunity occurs with Covid-19.

While that's technically true, it is highly likely that there is an immune response via memory T-cells. I feel like they're needlessly giving the general public the worst case scenario at virtually every turn of this pandemic & scaring people, or at least paralyzing them with negative speculative uncertainty.

I think it's logical to start with SARS-Cov for a guesstimate on COVID19 immunity duration, and that we know is about 3 years, which is actually pretty bad. There are many viruses which post-infection produce an antigen response > the life of a human being. That said, I consider this a non-issue, because I'm confident: A) There will be a duration of immunity B) There will be a vaccine much sooner than immune duration.

dblskifanatic

Not looking good for A Basin since they are telling everyone to stay out of the mountains until May 30th!

Dickc

The news at about noon time reported that one of the major labs had a reporting glitch and they released results yesterday that make up for missed cases so the jump was more or less an aberration. Quest Diagnostics was the culprit

BenedictGomez

I'd say at 60-75% the normal amount of vehicles on the road. Two weeks ago it was desolate. Today the line for the drive-thru for Chick-fil-a was out onto the street. People just want to get out of the house.

Last Friday when I was last out in public, I noticed more people out-and-about versus 13 days prior, which was the last time I'd been in public at that time. Today walking on my back road I noticed more cars than at any time in the last 6 weeks of quarantine. Totally speculative as are your comments above, but it makes me wonder if people are starting to break.