• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Skiing is back!

VTKilarney

Gorham, New Hampshire just passed a resolution allowing all businesses in the town to open.

Your move, Sununu.

Last edited:

thebigo

Strafford, rockingham, hillsborough and merrimack county are 50% restaurant occupancy; rest of the state is 100%. Sununu said something around 95% of cases in the state are in the four southeast counties, which makes sense considering 1M of the states 1.35M live in the four southeast counties. Kicker is all restaurants are supposed to maintain 6' between parties, in other words every other booth and probably half the tables. Do not know if reservations are still required, personally I like the reservation system the last couple weeks. Not sure about bar seats either, 6' between bar stools would probably defeat the purpose.

mister moose

W-u-u-u-u-u-u-u-t? Economists were wrong? Models were not correct? Well, that's a first.

VTKilarney

thebigo

Standing on my back porch, looking at the moon. Let's not loose track of the fact that the alarm should be going off soon, I should be waking up a 7 year old to head to k, she would want the shirt but also smash bumps all morning.

BenedictGomez

How many restaurants can even make enough money to survive if Friday - Sunday attendance is limited to 50% occupancy? This nightmare needs to end already. I've noticed people aren't taking it anywhere near as seriously here in Jersey lately, and if that's the spirit here then people aren't taking it seriously anywhere anymore.

VTKilarney

How many restaurants can even make enough money to survive if Friday - Sunday attendance is limited to 50% occupancy? This nightmare needs to end already. I've noticed people aren't taking it anywhere near as seriously here in Jersey lately, and if that's the spirit here then people aren't taking it seriously anywhere anymore.

None can survive, which is why Gorham, NH told Sununu to pound sand.

There are consequences when Governors come out in support of thousands of protesters gathering together, no matter how laudable the cause. By endorsing the protests, they have lost all credibility over their social distancing edicts.

Last edited:

machski

Not that it matters but they weren't done blowing. Also the headwall always melts out first, two years ago the headwall was all of a dozen feet wide on closing weekend. I suspect either today or tomorrow would have been closing day.
Lots of snow above and below the dreaded S that could have been moved around. More may have been planned to be stacked there in the final 48 hours they never finished. With that said, they always go too thin under the chair crossover (guess they don't want snow height too close to chair). So WHEN they replace SS quad, while that is already quite high, perhaps they can extend the crossover height just a bit more to allow for more snow under it. Hard to tell, but the upper pitch looks decent right now.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using AlpineZone mobile app

BenedictGomez

By endorsing the protests, they have lost all credibility over their social distancing edicts.

Yup. This was the breaking point for me, and from reading social media, I believe literally millions of other Americans in terms of saying, "screw your ******* lockdown". And given same politicians criticized the handful of much, much, much smaller anti-lockdown protests as "irresponsible", "foolish" and "dangerous" they're make their cognitive dissonance nakedly political as well. I had been doing my part adhering to all these reindeer game rules & regulations even though I now disagreed with them from a scientific standpoint on the basis that if everyone else is doing this sacrifice then I will too. No more. The family is about to get in the car & go to a small pool & BBQ gathering in (GASP) Pennsylvania to see friends we haven't seen in almost 4 months. Screw Murphy. Screw Wolf.

cdskier

Not that it matters but they weren't done blowing. Also the headwall always melts out first, two years ago the headwall was all of a dozen feet wide on closing weekend. I suspect either today or tomorrow would have been closing day.

On the flipside, there was also no grooming and very little skiing on that snow in the past 2.5 months. That helped preserve what you see now. If they had been grooming that snow and moving it around up until now, I doubt you would have still had much left by now and think June 1 would have been as far as they went.

Former Sunday Rivah Rat

Excellent point BG, the only silver lining is that we can use this to say no to any future bullshit lockdowns. Excerpt and link to a good article on the topic.

"But we're not out of the lockdown woods yet. This fall, politicians and other lockdown advocates are likely to start up again with demands that new laws be passed requiring people to stay home, shut down their businesses, and otherwise put life on hold in the name of stopping COVID-19.

But it's unlikely that the public will fall for the same routine twice in a row. At least not to the same extent. The reaction of many will likely be "we've heard this song and dance before. Besides, social distancing didn't matter to these experts back during the riots. Why should we believe them now?"

It's a good question."

https://mises.org/power-market/moral-authority-lockdown-fetishists-gone-thank-protestors-and-rioters

jg17

Was lucky enough to get reservations for Crystal today, awesome to be able to be out there in June, especially after the sudden shutdown. Good base but the melty spots are melting quickly, you can only drop into the main bowl from two narrow cat tracks so soon there won't be any lines possible without hiking. Was able to snag a reservation for tomorrow for the season closer.

Reservations are for one hour blocks to upload the gondola, we were able to park in the first lot for our 9am slot despite many spaces being left open for social distancing. Restaurant and bar at the top of the gondola is open for takeout, base lodge closed except for restrooms and outdoor bar for apres. Patrol was enforcing social distancing in the lift line but people were pretty good about it, I think Crystal nailed it with how many guests they allowed. Very well managed for a week of bonus spring skiing, but will be interesting to see how it goes if/when they need to scale it in the winter when the full resort is open.

Apologies on the sideways pics, I can't figure out how to stop the site from reorienting them...

20200606_132601.jpg
20200606_093711.jpg