• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Skiing is back!

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
Not skiing but about as non-essential as you can get... NASCAR is hosting a race in Tennessee on July 15. Capacity capped at "only" 30,000 fans out of 150,000 capacity. Masks are not mandatory, and there's no limits on where you come from (they've had races with fans already in extremely small numbers but with the caveat you have to live in the area).

If NASCAR can get 30,000 people on there asses in an outdoor stadium with out-of-state travel I fail to see how ski resorts won't be able to get infinitely smaller numbers of people out on the lifts and on trails.

chuckstah

No doubt skiing will be back at 20 percent capacity like the Nascar race. But it will need to be a way higher percentage than that to make skiing tolerable. Every state will be different as things are now.

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using AlpineZone mobile app

DoublePlanker

I just don't get the reaction to the pandemic in this thread. It seems like lockdown has worked in many areas. What are folks expectations for the pandemic this fall or winter? If the outbreak worsens significantly, then what then? Just let people die of it?

I think Sununu has been reasonable using data driven decisions.

I'm hoping the virus just goes away but doesn't seem to be doing that.

I also know that the economic devastation is a worse problem. Wearing a mask seems to work well. What is the problem with that?

It sucked to not be skiing in March and April. I'm optimistic there will be skiing this winter. I just don't know how its going to be in cold and flu season with covid19 in the mix. Seems like it will be a panic. Perhaps masks and some distancing cuts down on colds and flu.

Zermatt

I just don't get the reaction to the pandemic in this thread. It seems like lockdown has worked in many areas. What are folks expectations for the pandemic this fall or winter? If the outbreak worsens significantly, then what then? Just let people die of it?

I think Sununu has been reasonable using data driven decisions.

I'm hoping the virus just goes away but doesn't seem to be doing that.

I also know that the economic devastation is a worse problem. Wearing a mask seems to work well. What is the problem with that?

It sucked to not be skiing in March and April. I'm optimistic there will be skiing this winter. I just don't know how its going to be in cold and flu season with covid19 in the mix. Seems like it will be a panic. Perhaps masks and some distancing cuts down on colds and flu.

If everyone wore a mask indoors in public places and outdoors in high density settings the pandemic would be over. Masks don't prevent all infections but they break enough chains in the spread of infection to drive the R0 well below 1.0. You could literally end it within weeks.

tumbler

Stark contrast between VT and NH now. NH is almost back to fully open while VT seems to be going backwards for some reason- Scott just extended the state of emergency for another month. The mandatory 14 day quarantine in VT is silly at this point. People have been quarantining for months, just make masks required for when you can't social distance. From the CAX article:

Another contrast -- out-of-state guests staying in New Hampshire simply need to self-attest to quarantining in their home state before coming

trackbiker

The problem is people aren't following the guidelines. Here in PA restaurants opened with outdoor dining last week. Too many people think things are "back to normal". I went by a brewery this past weekend that had a large outdoor area. The place was packed and social distancing was not being practiced. If you were even there you couldn't social distance if you wanted too. I also saw a group of 20 somethings playing a full court basketball game last night with 5 on a side and some on the sidelines. As far as the virus, nothing has changed. There is no cure or proven treatment. The infection rates are going to go right back up.

Smellytele

Up at Pinkham notch I was really surprised that so many out of staters were there. Not just New England plates but Maryland, Virginia and other mid Atlantic states. Also South Carolina. Not many NH plates. Can only imagine what ski areas would have been like if they reopened in April/May.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

BenedictGomez

Stark contrast between VT and NH now. NH is almost back to fully open while VT seems to be going backwards for some reason- Scott just extended the state of emergency for another month. The mandatory 14 day quarantine in VT is silly at this point.

There have only been 2 COVID19 deaths in Vermont in a month; that's 1 in every 310,000 people.

VTKilarney

Tons of out of state plates in Lincoln tonight. The self attesting rules are a joke.

Former Sunday Rivah Rat

Spiking my ass

Its spiking all over the place..get ready for round 2.

Spiking my ass. The only thing spiking is the fear mongering BS from the presstitutes in the media pushing the false narrative of a second wave.

Here in MA the 7 Day Weighted Average of Positive Molecular Test Rate is DOWN 91% over the last month. All the numbers are way down here.

https://www.mass.gov/doc/covid-19-dashboard-june-16-2020/download

Look at the numbers yourself. The media is just going to push their BS narratives for clickbait. Use your head:

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/

Dickc

Spiking my ass. The only thing spiking is the fear mongering BS from the presstitutes in the media pushing the false narrative of a second wave.

Here in MA the 7 Day Weighted Average of Positive Molecular Test Rate is DOWN 91% over the last month. All the numbers are way down here.

https://www.mass.gov/doc/covid-19-dashboard-june-16-2020/download

Look at the numbers yourself. The media is just going to push their BS narratives for clickbait. Use your head:

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/

Some of those numbers are a bit misleading. The total cumulative cases is a combination of molecular testing AND antibody testing. If I had this in say early March, and was never tested then, and I get an antibody test today, I'm added to the total case count both for the day, and for the total. In my opinion, I should be listed as a PRIOR case, and not a current one. The metrics do not seem to allow for that.

icecoast1

Is it actually spiking as in the percentage of positive tests going up or is it simply more positive cases as a result of more testing? To be honest I've stopped paying attention to the day to day of it, I fail to see why anybody would be surprised by an increase as more people start to go out though, the original point was not to not overwhelm the hospital system, we did that and are better equipped to handle things than we were 2 months ago. Time to start returning to normal.

BenedictGomez

Two things:

1) This is still Round (cycle) 1.

2) This is more of media narrative than reality. YES, the cases are rising elsewhere, but this should be totally expected. And no hospitol system, not even "Arizona" or "Florida", which you keep hearing about are overrun. Deserves monitoring, but this is not the dire scenario (not yet anyway) that the media's selling.