• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Skiing on the Cheap - 2014-15 Edition

VTKilarney

I was finally able to snag a couple of $19 early season tickets at Bretton Woods.

ScottySkis

Ya I need to work on it. I have two young kids that tag alone and increase to costs .

You can stay in Burlinton Vermont a supe8 for 50$ a night and your only 45 minutes to STowe 30 mintes to Bolton, a little less then an hour to Bush, I guess an hour in half to Jay and smuggs not bad I did that a lot cheap hotels in that area

VTKilarney

For Stowe, you might want to check out this motel in Hardwick: http://www.vtvillagemotel.com/
It's 22 miles from the ski area. Hardwick has improved somewhat and now has a couple of decent places to eat. But it is still very much off the beaten path so the rates should be cheap. I have no idea how good the motel is.

The EconoLodge in Montpelier is another good option for a cheap place to stay. I just looked at their rates for President's Day weekend, and it is $69 per night. Montpelier is not too far from Stowe, Sugarbush, MRG, and Bolton. The EconoLodge is very close to I-89.

Barre might have some cheaper options as well, but it's a bit more of a drive from the interstate.

prsboogie

Thanks for the suggestions guys I will definitely be looking to take advantage of some of them

BenedictGomez

Warren Miller movie SOTC alert, and a potential downgrade to this SOTC prerequisite.

They've changed it so that ALL the perks are now via the computer. I've just returned from the movie so I'm speculating here, but I imagine that likely means that all the tickets will be "in name only" going forward, which, if my speculation is correct, will hamper the ability to trade the resorts you wont hit for the mountains you ski at.

Other than that, the movie was enjoyable and IMO very good. The photography this year was truly astounding, they really outdid themselves in that regard. Another net positive is that unlike the last several years, there was absolutely no politics in the film this year. You could tell they really attempted (though I wouldn't call it a total success) to make this movie more like the true Warren Miller movies of years past. Worth seeing for sure, and the free Sugarbush ticket doesn't hurt.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I haven't been to a WM film in a couple of years, but the few years I did, they were computer printed via an authorization code.

What has changed?

Abubob

Website
tee.pub
Warren Miller movie SOTC alert, and a potential downgrade to this SOTC prerequisite.

They've changed it so that ALL the perks are now via the computer.

Where have you been? Its been like that for years. And what the heck is SOTC!? Shadow of the Colossus? Stations of the Cross? People people people! Say what you mean for cryin out loud. Enough with the acronyms!!:uzi:

Abubob

Website
tee.pub
Are you familiar with the title of the thread? ;)
facepalm.jpg

BenedictGomez

What the hell are you talking about? explain

The giveaways at WM movies aren't uniform. Most of the WM tour sanctioned shows only have 1 east coast giveaway, maybe 2, and they're by computer. Those giveaways usually more than pay for the price of seeing the flic, but if you search for the independent shows that are not part of the tour you can do much better, and most of those giveaways are not by computer, you actually receive physical vouchers to the mountain. Hence, I go to indy WM shows as they not always, but usually have the better giveaways.

For instance, last year in addition to the Sugarbush WM computer giveaway, I received a physical ticket to Gore, a physical ticket to Bellayre, and a BOGO to Jiminy Peak. The Jiminy Peak I traded for more Gore, and I unloaded the Belleayre for something too (cant recall what).

Dont get me wrong, the giveaways I received last night were OUTSTANDING, and I will use the Sugarbush, Smuggler's Notch, Gore, and Windham tickets I received last night (that's a few hundred in value). But with everything on computer I don't think I'll be able to unload the Killington BOGO I got last night and that would have been an easy trade given the hoards that ski there, and I just wanted to point that out for the folks that plan for the WM movie annually as I do given this was an early viewing.

rocojerry

Anyone know if there are any giveaways/BOGO tickets along with the TGR tour this year? http://www.tetongravity.com/tours IMAX boston (kid friendly, maybe even bring 2 kids free) tonight, let me know if you go! I may go in a few weeks to the next Boston showing. Years past, usually a 2-for-1 somewhere...