• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Skiing Rag "Best Mtns in No. America"

bdfreetuna

I do not consider that tight trees. That looks fun! In fact I can show you some great lines at Keystone from Dercum Mountain and also from North Peak or off Chair 8 or Chair 1 at Loveland or on the backside of Cooper. It is not all open bowls.

Those mountains are definitely in the plan for once-we-have-kids and they're-old-enough-to-travel / ski.

4aprice

I do not consider that tight trees. That looks fun! In fact I can show you some great lines at Keystone from Dercum Mountain and also from North Peak or off Chair 8 or Chair 1 at Loveland or on the backside of Cooper. It is not all open bowls.

Did someone mention the trees at Copper?

IMG_1049.jpg

How about Arapahoe?

IMG_1036.jpg

or Brighton Utah.

IMG_0905_001.jpg

Lots of fun in the western trees.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

dlague

Too each their own, but I wouldn't call the first five minutes of that even skiing. (Didn't watch beyond that) Long stretches of just side slipping, tree hugging and occasionally a turn made.

But if it's what you like, go for it.

Yup skiing single track following someone else's bushwhack while moving about 2 MPH. That is not for me! Not because I cannot - it is just not fun. Get some snowshoes and trek through the woods and it is about the same.

raisingarizona

Too each their own, but I wouldn't call the first five minutes of that even skiing. (Didn't watch beyond that) Long stretches of just side slipping, tree hugging and occasionally a turn made.

But if it's what you like, go for it.

After seeing this video I can see where freetuna is coming from. Yup, Squaw Valley sucks. Why bother with it when you can traverse for 10 minutes straight to get to a low angle tree run at your home mountain?

But I don't want to piss too much in his bowl of Cheerios, if freetuna enjoys that then more power to him. I saw a couple cool spots for a safety meeting in there at least.

bdfreetuna

I said Squaw Valley sucks? I think I said Squaw's open bowl terrain without trees doesn't appeal to me, speaking as someone who's never been there. I'm sure I will enjoy it very much if nothing else to enjoy a completely different experience. Trees generally add to the fun, and I do like schmearing and sliding my way down single track as fast as I can do it. But yeah I don't see myself having a bad time at all in Tahoe.

Either way I'll post a nice lengthy trip report after skiing 6 mountains in Tahoe, give you a chance to work on your reading comprehension :lol:

thetrailboss

Staff member
I said Squaw Valley sucks? I think I said Squaw's open bowl terrain without trees doesn't appeal to me, speaking as someone who's never been there. I'm sure I will enjoy it very much if nothing else to enjoy a completely different experience. Trees generally add to the fun, and I do like schmearing and sliding my way down single track as fast as I can do it. But yeah I don't see myself having a bad time at all in Tahoe.

Either way I'll post a nice lengthy trip report after skiing 6 mountains in Tahoe, give you a chance to work on your reading comprehension :lol:

Squaw has a lot of good terrain....trees included.

KustyTheKlown

I have always found the trip out west to be worth the money spent. Skiing wise you can't top it. Another factor for me is the weather. Its great skiing in nice weather then coming down the mountain (particularly in SLC, but in Denver too) to even nicer weather. We've now set ourselves up to where our housing and transportation needs are set up in both cities saving us a bundle when we go out. Got my Max Pass tickets too.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

this. friends in tahoe, denver, and slc + max pass + credit card airline miles = a very affordable way to ski a ton of days out west.

KustyTheKlown

copper has most excellent long steep glades off of the super bee towards the double chair

BenedictGomez

It's a fine line between lots of fun and no fun at all

(bolton valley - lost girlz)

attachment.php

I love stuff like that. Only 5 more months (4 if lucky).

Everyone knows about Sunshine but Lake Louise is hands down the better mountain unless you grade your mountain based on the number of clients sporting Bogner. I liked Sunshine a lot but I wish I spent more time at LL.

The back bowls at Lake Louise are fantastic. I'm thinking about taking an Easter trip out there this year given the fact East is soooooooo late in 2017, I figure Banff area will probably have about the best snow in North America.

Not Sure

Website
www.youtube.com
+1

The back bowls at Lake Louise are fantastic. I'm thinking about taking an Easter trip out there this year given the fact East is soooooooo late in 2017, I figure Banff area will probably have about the best snow in North America.

Back bowls are great on "Blubird "days

Sunshine has the best snow if the area hasn't seen snow for a while.

snoseek

Squaw, Kirkwood, Alpine, Sugarbowl and Rose. That's where id be skiing in that order. Heavenly is only good if you really know how to navigate it...you really need someone to show you around or else you'll likely spend your time traversing crowded groomers and getting short low angle tree shots. Its got some wicked sidecountry stuff but as a visitor you should steer clear IMO.

Sierra skis a little short. Homewood skis short. Both are local areas when they just want to escape the tourist for a day.

Rose skis a little short but has some righteous terrain, plus that drier snow.

Kirkwood if you like to hike, vert aint much but it has some ripping lines and sits high

Squaw/Alpine are IMO the best Tahoe has to offer despite weekend shitshow

dlague

Back bowls are where it is at at LL for sure.

bdfreetuna

I remember liking the Ptarmigan area at Lake Louise a lot. And also the woods under the Goat's Eye lift at Sunshine. Hell's Kitchen and that area.

Thanks for the tips snoseek. I don't think I can do Sugarbowl on the 6-ticket combo pass but 4/5 on your list plus a day at Sierra and a day at Heavenly.

I'm pretty obsessive with the pre-game research, YouTubing various runs referencing the map etc. I'll probably end up bringing maps pre-marked with stuff I want to definitely hit at some of the larger places so I don't waste a day. I'm sure I'll be happy to rip some groomers though during the span on 6 days in a row skiing some tough mountains.

Not looking to hike and I'm thinking maybe spend 2 days to get to know Heavenly better (we're staying a short walk from the base). I could do 2 days of Heavenly if I skip Sierra, Mt Rose, or Kirkwood.

dlague

I remember liking the Ptarmigan area at Lake Louise a lot. And also the woods under the Goat's Eye lift at Sunshine. Hell's Kitchen and that area.

Thanks for the tips snoseek. I don't think I can do Sugarbowl on the 6-ticket combo pass but 4/5 on your list plus a day at Sierra and a day at Heavenly.

I'm pretty obsessive with the pre-game research, YouTubing various runs referencing the map etc. I'll probably end up bringing maps pre-marked with stuff I want to definitely hit at some of the larger places so I don't waste a day. I'm sure I'll be happy to rip some groomers though during the span on 6 days in a row skiing some tough mountains.

Not looking to hike and I'm thinking maybe spend 2 days to get to know Heavenly better (we're staying a short walk from the base). I could do 2 days of Heavenly if I skip Sierra, Mt Rose, or Kirkwood.

Goats Eye has some great steep bump runs and the trees closer to the bottom are fun.

Anxious to here about your trip. Hoping to get out there too!

snoseek

Don't even think about skipping Kirkwood...seriously give me a map of both Kirkwood and Heavenly and a half hour and ill point you in a direction that should make for perfect days there.