• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Skinning Cannon 4_28_13

Cannonball

It was great that Cannon extended their season by a week and pushed out the closing to 4/14. But that day was one of the snowiest of the season and didn't have the spring feel we were looking for to cap the season. So we made our own....

Puttered around the house in the morning then headed over to Cannon to start climbing around 10am. Parked at Zoomer chair with the intention of Skinning Gary's (least steep). unfortunately coverage had diminished considerably since our recon on Saturday and Gary's no longer had connecting lines. So up Rocket instead...
P1010196.jpg

That is a tough way to start, especially under a relentless sun. But we kept a slow and steady pace finding good coverage and occasional shade breaks up the bottom of the Cannonball chair. We chose Upper Cannon for the last push. Coverage was edge to edge with perfect pitches for climbing. Up top there was plenty of room to spread out...
P1010226.jpg

We were eventually joined at the tram top by another skinner. Then the sounds of the mountain started coming alive as other skiers popped up on the summit and Profile. Although Cannon had some issues with their snowmaking this season, the truth is that they cranked out a LOT. The fact that almost every trail on the mountain is still skiable while Lafayette has virtually no cover says a lot....
P1010238.jpg

The down was fantastic. Nice corny turns, the way spring is supposed to be! On the way down we passed several groups heading up. It was great to see everyone out making the most of it. Although we had planned on coming down Paulie's, Zoomer was the only choice that offered an unbroken line. And what a line it was. Just about perfect...
P1010242.jpg

It just doesn't get much better than sweet spring turns while people are fishing in the Lake below. If there had been a connecting line we might have ridden straight into the water....
P1010252.jpg

That might have done it for our season. But you never know....

Puck it

Looks awesome. I spent the day doing my yardwork and opening the pool not as much fun.

Cannonball

Way to get it.I guess I missed you up there as I didn't see any snowboarders.

I skied, she was on the split board. I only saw one other snowboarder (hiking) all day. We were done and gone by 1:30. That felt like a late start, but there sure were a lot of people heading up as we were heading down.

dlague

We drove by Cannon on our way to Jay Peak on Sunday! Looked like there was still a bunch of trails that could be skied! We opted for a chairlift!