• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

SLC launches new advertising campaign to pull in Colorado skiers

snoseek

You have to keep in mind Colorado has more large scale resorts than Utah or Maybe even California. Also a good chunk of that business is going straight to Vail properties...outside of that places like Telluride are pretty chill in skier numbers but big on acres.

Both places have there ups and downs. As someone that likes to smoke weed and drink a strong cocktail every so often Colorado as a vacationer would be awfully appealing. Slc for the easy cheap ski trip...no frills, good snow, great terrain.

drjeff

two drink rule went away almost 15 years ago. I have no idea what you're talking about regarding alcohol per vessel rules. There are plenty of bars that sell full pints of 8% and above brews. If that's a law, it isn't enforced.

Agree! I can't even remotely fathom the number of full 16oz pints of 6 to 10% ABV beers I've had in VT (even a few within the last week ;) :beer: ) The only time my usual bar at Mount Snow starts going to the 10oz glasses is when they have a beer above 10% ABV on tap, and frankly the vast majority of the time, with a beer that strong, I'm OK with the 10oz pour :)

marcski

Westchester County, NY and a Mountain near you!
Agree! I can't even remotely fathom the number of full 16oz pints of 6 to 10% ABV beers I've had in VT (even a few within the last week ;) :beer: ) The only time my usual bar at Mount Snow starts going to the 10oz glasses is when they have a beer above 10% ABV on tap, and frankly the vast majority of the time, with a beer that strong, I'm OK with the 10oz pour :)

I think he was talking Utah and not Vt. But, even in Utah it is not an issue. As others have said, I got as buzzed in Park City bars on good beer and booze just like anywhere else. Also, you cannot beat Utah for convenience or snow. There is every store imaginable within 35 mins of the BCC and LCC resorts including a Whole Foods and a State liquor store where they sell most any kind of hard booze amd beer you would want.

mriceyman

Vermont has some absolutely moronic alcohol rules too.

No (real) pitchers, cant have 2 drinks in front of you, no drop-shot drinks (carbombs etc..), alcohol per vessel rules means you cant even GET a full pint of the "kickass microbrews" you're talking about, instead you get this dainty 10 ounce glass = LAME.

And given the explosion of the microbrew scene, I personally dont think VT is anything special in that regard any longer, but that's another discussion I suppose.

Have had all the above in vt. Could be some places enforce and others dont.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

deadheadskier

Staff member
To be honest, I think most places that sell high ABV beers in smaller glasses do so for two reasons.

A. they can be more barley wine like than beer and are meant to be enjoyed slowly instead of gulped down. So, by the time a normal person would finish a pint, it would be warm and flat.

B. Price / sticker shock. Serving these expensive high ABV beers in smaller portion sizes enables to keep the cost down under say $10 a serving (as an arbitrary value number) so, more people are willing to try it than if they were pushing a $15 full size pint.

jimmywilson69

I have had "real pints" at many different establishments in Vermont (Stowe, Sugarbush, Killington, Burlington, Waterbury)

gmcunni

after my 20's (which was far to long ago) i don't think "where can I get the best party?" ever factored into where i went on vacation (skiing or other).

Last edited:

drjeff

after my 20's (which was far to long ago) i don't think "where can I get the best party?" ever factored into where i went on vacation (skiing or other).

+1!

It's morphed from "where's the best party place?" to at first "who has the best daycare facilities?" to "who has the best/most fun pool and/or arcade facilities?" and now into "How good a wifi signal is in all the rooms?" The last couple of which are prompting my wife and I to now also ask "Is there a bar by the pool?" or "is there a hotel bar for us while the kids are in the room playing either Minecraft or Clash of Clans on their iPads?" ;-) At this rate in another few years it will all likely come full circle and my wife and I will once again be asking "where's the best party?" :lol:

skiNEwhere

The next quanitive measurement of a resort will be the masseuse per capita ratio

thetrailboss

Staff member
To follow up on some points (and not "pints" ;) )

Quebec: you have A LOT of ski areas all within a short distance from Montreal and QC, which are two fairly large metro areas. That is a formula for a lot of ski days. Sure the winters are "longer", but they generally don't go much longer than the average NE ski area. Tremblant is also a big area.

Utah Drinking Laws: after the recent DABC spectacle regarding Snowbird's Oktoberfest, there has been some discussion about changing the laws. And personally I don't have much of an issue getting a drink.

Vermont: the big issue that I recall is that there is no real "public transit" option for a lot of resorts and DUI is a big issue, especially in resort areas (MRV in particular).

St. Bear

Website
twitter.com
To follow up on some points (and not "pints" ;) )

Quebec: you have A LOT of ski areas all within a short distance from Montreal and QC, which are two fairly large metro areas. That is a formula for a lot of ski days. Sure the winters are "longer", but they generally don't go much longer than the average NE ski area. Tremblant is also a big area.

Considering that the population density of the Northeast Corridor is much higher than Quebec, this statement implies a much higher participation rate, no?

Savemeasammy

I'm pretty sure it is.....

I can't seem to find anything to confirm it because I would imagine that NY would be up there too. Here's one image from EpicSki:

1000x1000px-LL-14a3ecb8_skier_visits_1.jpeg

This is impressive for a place as small as VT. I wonder how it would look if they used New England instead? At least geographically speaking it would be a more reasonable comparison.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thetrailboss

Staff member
This is impressive for a place as small as VT. I wonder how it would look if they used New England instead? At least geographically speaking it would be a more reasonable comparison.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It just shows how vital the ski industry is for Vermont.

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
+1!

It's morphed from "where's the best party place?" to at first "who has the best daycare facilities?" to "who has the best/most fun pool and/or arcade facilities?" and now into "How good a wifi signal is in all the rooms?" The last couple of which are prompting my wife and I to now also ask "Is there a bar by the pool?" or "is there a hotel bar for us while the kids are in the room playing either Minecraft or Clash of Clans on their iPads?" ;-) At this rate in another few years it will all likely come full circle and my wife and I will once again be asking "where's the best party?" :lol:

I read this and agreed with all of it and then instantly realized how much my life has changed in 2 years.

4aprice

;-) At this rate in another few years it will all likely come full circle and my wife and I will once again be asking "where's the best party?" :lol:

Only problem is that by the time you get to the end of that circle you'll be too tired to go to that party.

A little surprising to me is that NH didn't rate up there with the others. Seems that the proximity to Boston would up their numbers but I guess a lot of Bostonians go to Vermont and combined with the tri-state area people push Vermont's numbers up.

Utah - Colorado, they are both fantastic to me. I think the law change in Colorado helps even if people are reluctant to admit it.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ