• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Smuggs and the bush 2/10-2/11

mriceyman

I have a voucher for each from wm show and am looking at the 2nd weekend in feb for a trip up north. With 2 kids under 3 i dont get out as must as i used to so i want to make the most of each day. First off where should i go on each day. The bush is closer to home so it would help on our way home Sunday to ski there but not opposed to the other way. Im thinking of staying near warren and just driving to smuggs, unless you guys had a better idea in mind. Im looking to try to avoid crazy crowds(which on a weekend is not easy) and get the most bang for my limited days on the hill. What parts of the mountain should i head?(advanced skier who loves trees) i havent been to smuggs ever and its been like 10 years since i was at the bush so any insight would be appreciated.

Edit: it is apparently feb 11 and 12.. driving up fri ski sat and sun.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

bdfreetuna

Smuggs on Sunday ... if it's a good snow day you could be spending a lot of time waiting in line due to slow double lifts. Saturdays are usually busier.

Someone at Jay Sunday mentioned they were at Smuggs on Saturday and only able to get 7 runs in. On the other hand I was there last weekend and the weather sucked and it was mostly ski on. Just something to consider.

If you want to avoid crowds at Sugarbush consider Mt Ellen, although you should be able to get a good amount of runs in either way. Show up early.

cdskier

At Sugarbush on a Saturday head to Mount Ellen to avoid crowds (even with powder this past Saturday there were maybe a couple dozen people in line at the lifts ahead of me at the most, often it was nearly ski on). Plenty of choices for trees at ME.

If you do want to ski Lincoln Peak, get there at 8am on Saturday and ski Lincoln Peak until 10, then hop on the Slide Brook chair over to ME once it starts to get crowded at Lincoln Peak. Lincoln Peak has more terrain to choose from, but ME has more than enough to keep you busy for a day. Both have nearly anything you're looking for. Perhaps the only thing ME is missing that LP has would be a steep groomer, but it sounds like you may not care much about that anyway.

cdskier

Smuggs yes before december something then it becomes a 2fer at least mine did. Sugarbush I think is M-F

I'm assuming the OP went to the show in NJ in Morristown since he lives here. In which case the details on the Ski website for that show say exactly what you're saying about Smuggs becoming a BOGO and Sugarbush being M-F.

bdfreetuna

Smuggs yes before december something then it becomes a 2fer at least mine did. Sugarbush I think is M-F

No I mean I went to Sugarbush with my Warren Miller ticket on a Sunday, January 2nd. Maybe it's not good on Saturdays, don't remember.

This was the Hartford show, would be weird it the dates were different.

mriceyman

Good call on the bush m-f.. the smugs is a bogo.. hmmm see this is why i come here first lol.. i already used me windham freebie and thoughg it was a bogo. Gave away one of my two vouchers to a buddy thinking it was a bogo and then went to ticket window to find out it was a freebie.. obviously i cant read very well.

mriceyman

Maybe i should just head to jay on for Saturday and then smuggs on sunday.. liftopia has jay tix for like $60.. my uncle has a b&b in jay so that would save me money

Jully

No I mean I went to Sugarbush with my Warren Miller ticket on a Sunday, January 2nd. Maybe it's not good on Saturdays, don't remember.

Jan 2 was a Monday this year actually. That Sunday was the 1st. It was a full blown federal holiday on the 2nd, but many ski areas didn't count it as a holiday, so I bet SB did that.

cdskier

Jan 2 was a Monday this year actually. That Sunday was the 1st. It was a full blown federal holiday on the 2nd, but many ski areas didn't count it as a holiday, so I bet SB did that.

You're right that SB did not consider Jan 2nd a holiday (and they received some flack on that from people who were there and expected weekend/holiday services such as early lifts and parking lot shuttles).

dlague

January 2nd was a Monday! And that was not blacked out.

MommaBear

Was following this thread because we are looking to do Smuggs for the first time first weekend in March - looking for suggestions on where to stay. Inexpensive, clean - family of 5 (3 "kids" older now - 16, 21, 24 - so harder to squeeze into one hotel room). Any lodging suggestions?