• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Snow..coming ???

bdfreetuna

Anyone else going to be at magic tomorrow?

90%. Less than half the ride as to Platty. I know my way around Magic pretty well. I've never been there on a powder day when both lifts were actually running so it should be good.

I'll probably go again next week if there's another storm too.

KustyTheKlown

Sick place..the stairway to heaven climb bowl was..rather steep first thing in the morning

i hit the stairway right when they opened it. people were foaming at the mouth. I had to pull over on the boot pack to catch my breath. people were hauling ass up. whitewall was knee deep, low visibility, and one of the steepest things I've ever skied. can't wait to ski it in better vis

rocks860

90%. Less than half the ride as to Platty. I know my way around Magic pretty well. I've never been there on a powder day when both lifts were actually running so it should be good.

First time I ever went to magic was about a foot and a half of powder, both lifts were running and it was practically empty. Amazing day

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Glenn

rocks860,
Rt 30 is blacktop. Up to Dummerston. Should be a smooth ride in the AM.

Abominable

Yeah if magic was closer than platt I’d say it’s a no-brainer. Magic is just a taller mountain.

I’m trying to figure out where I should go tomorrow.

Platt because I love it? Hunter because it’s half an hour closer and hasn’t been skiedtoday? Catamount is even closer still and also was closed today. And then is in there’s the question of whether or not Hunter will even have power tomorrow. You would think that they would. I’d also expect that to be a crowded mess. But what if everybody stays away because they’re not sure if the power will be on and they drop the ropes at 9 AM to acres of untouched Pow?

abc

It’s a big risk for the Cats at this point. There power outage is wide spread. And the storm is still blowing hard. I would call them to check if they have power before heading out. That what I will do tomorrow first thing.

But once the light is on, it’ll be great!

If I were in your shoes, I’d go to Hunter. I don’t think it’d be crowded because 1/2 the people can’t get out of their driveway! I’m aiming for Bell, because I have the MAX pass.

Last edited:

Not Sure

Website
www.youtube.com
Yeah if magic was closer than platt I’d say it’s a no-brainer. Magic is just a taller mountain.

I’m trying to figure out where I should go tomorrow.

Platt because I love it? Hunter because it’s half an hour closer and hasn’t been skiedtoday? Catamount is even closer still and also was closed today. And then is in there’s the question of whether or not Hunter will even have power tomorrow. You would think that they would. I’d also expect that to be a crowded mess. But what if everybody stays away because they’re not sure if the power will be on and they drop the ropes at 9 AM to acres of untouched Pow?

There website says that they still don’t have power and when they do there might be delayed lift openings while they “Prepare “ the slopes. Hunter is a half hour closer for me but will they groom everything?

With Platty even though it was open today are there enough glades for some descent traffic before it gets chopped up?
Never been there.

Abominable

There website says that they still don’t have power and when they do there might be delayed lift openings while they “Prepare “ the slopes. Hunter is a half hour closer for me but will they groom everything?

With Platty even though it was open today are there enough glades for some descent traffic before it gets chopped up?
Never been there.

I’m not up there so I don’t know what it looks like but if it’s a lot of wet heavy snow The trees should be fine all day. It’s spread out enough that you’re not going to get so many trees skiers is in there and ski it all out. You might not have fresh lines anywhere but this shit is like mashed potatoes and it should be fun.

The real question is if you’re giving up the wide-open bomber fresh tracks anywhere else. That is a great unknown.

Kleetus

I’m not up there so I don’t know what it looks like but if it’s a lot of wet heavy snow The trees should be fine all day. It’s spread out enough that you’re not going to get so many trees skiers is in there and ski it all out. You might not have fresh lines anywhere but this shit is like mashed potatoes and it should be fun.

The real question is if you’re giving up the wide-open bomber fresh tracks anywhere else. That is a great unknown.
Not being there today I don't know either. But I do know it was dumping snow when Platty closed and still is snowing pretty good at Platty as I type this. I think they may have 6+ of fresh since they closed by first chair tomorrow. Not 20" of fresh but still a good amount.

Bellayre still doesn't have power either as of 7:30.

Sent from my SM-G892A using AlpineZone mobile app

Rowsdower

Power is back on in Woodstock as of 8:30pm.

Not sure if its back on up in the mountains though.

So Platty might have gotten ~26 inches total out of this? Or is it still snowing up there?

Edit: yeah, it is. Strong upslope snow band is just parked over Belleayre and Platty right now. Still dumping.

Half hour away in Woodstock and there's nothing on the ground at all. This storm has been crazy localized.

Last edited: