• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Snow..coming ???

KustyTheKlown

How are the models looking for next week? I know it's a long way out, but are they still showing some promise?

yes, more snow Wednesday-Friday. another coastal noreaster that will benefit catskills, soVT, NH, and Maine, more than noVT. next Saturday and sunday look clear. i'll probably be at mad river>vt brewers fest at killington>killington hotel room>pico sunday. the gfs has Tuesday march 27 as a major rain event, but this is too far out to believe right now.

again - very very very easy to just check the gfs yourself - https://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysis/models/

BenedictGomez

Euro took a major turn for the worse today on next week's storm, shifting significantly south. GFS & Canuck are not as good either but with a much more minor southern shift. Net/net, all the models went south today (figuratively & literally).

cdskier

Euro took a major turn for the worse today on next week's storm, shifting significantly south. GFS & Canuck are not as good either but with a much more minor southern shift. Net/net, all the models went south today (figuratively & literally).

I actually wouldn't call that a "major turn for the worse". I'd much rather a storm go too far south and miss us at this point rather than go too far north or inland and bring us non-snow.

kingslug

[FONT=&quot]It has now been snowing for roughly 72 hours straight and during that time our storm total ranges from 31” in the base area to 40” on the upper mountain! ...Welcome to Stowe...holy shit.[/FONT]

BenedictGomez

Joe Bastardi (I know, I, know) going all in with this storm.

Unfortunately that map is currently all in for the Poconos though.

This is the worst case scenario for me.

One more closed day of school, and my fiancé's school takes a day off of Easter break (Friday), which would cause us to come back from Vermont on Thursday rather than Sunday, costing me at least 2 days of skiing. :angry:

I need that map to shift 100 miles north!

EDIT: Just noticed the 00z Euro did shift quite a bit north, so hopefully it's correct. That model has been radically shifting with the placement of this storm over the last few days.

Last edited:

KustyTheKlown

[FONT="]It has now been snowing for roughly 72 hours straight and during that time our storm total ranges from 31” in the base area to 40” on the upper mountain! ...Welcome to Stowe...holy shit.[/FONT]

shedding the group and the snowboarders and will be skiing mad river solo on sunday. say hi. either a red/blue jacket if its a cold (likely), a light blue jacket if its not so cold, dark blue pants, bright white and pink kastle bmx118 skis, old giro helmet with ski the east and worth stickers. responds to "Sy"

quoted the wrong post - but that was in reference to your MRG sunday obviously

kingslug

Yup I'll be there..taking a private tour at 10 for 2 hours but will look for you. I'm in blue jacket with the wacky wood skis. Stickers all over the helmet. Spoke to ski school..15 minute wait on the single..and its Friday, says weekend will be jammed..thus the line cutting privilege of the ski school..plus I'll get shown around and maybe improve on my tree skiing..which needs some improvement for these places.
And holy crap cold..Stowe Gondi on wind hold now..tomorrow 20 to 25 below zero windchills..thats about my limit..

Last edited:

KustyTheKlown

nervous about wind holds at stowe tomorrow. as long as the forerunner goes I'm good, but i really want to get out in the chin clip woods and beyond

kingslug

Ill be at the quad for the 730 freeze fest..think ill drive up later tonight..2am is not looking good..motivation might be low..ill sit in some traffic and blast ozzys boneyard..

BenedictGomez

Mid-day models are all in and the storm for next week is staying south on the GFS and Canuck, and is out-to-sea on the Euro.

BenedictGomez

Ill be at the quad for the 730 freeze fest..think ill drive up later tonight..2am is not looking good..motivation might be low..ill sit in some traffic and blast ozzys boneyard..

If you skip the hike, the Catskills are going to be pleasant.

That's where I'll be tomorrow, lapping lifts on Saint Platty's Day.

KustyTheKlown

at this time of year and with this much snow on the ground, I'm happy to just see snow and cool temps in the extended forecast period.

kingslug

After skiing the cats for 22 years..im determined to ski up north now. I used to read all the reports of these places and wished i could go more often..too far from long island..now its just about tolerable