• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Snowbird and accommodations...

thetrailboss

Staff member
Trying to plan a quick 3 day trip to Snowbird Feb 6-9th and ski for 3 days with my son. How often does the access road get closed due to weather. Was thinking of staying in the Sandy area and driving up. Any ideas would be helpful.

Boy it all depends on the weather. Hard to say in advance. Generally, if it is dumping, they tend to close the road early in the morning for avalanche control work (like 5-8 am). That can create serious traffic delays and jams first thing. Many folks will "stage" at the gate...though it is technically not allowed. Rarely do they close it midday unless things are bad. And rarely do they close it during the 3-6pm rush hour. Generally, you should be fine. Be absolutely sure to request a 4WD/AWD or car with snow tires. Not having them will be bad.

I work in Sandy and live in SLC. I can see Snowbird from my office. It is an easy drive from Sandy because most of the traffic is coming from SLC (to the north) while Sandy is a straight shot from the west.

Feel free to send me a PM for more specific information.

And also go to Alta if you ski.

mishka

if you worry about driving condition's into the canyons.... Ski bus is an alternative.

When renting car in Denver I tried to request four-wheel-drive… Subaru in that case… I couldn't . They told me to guarantee 4wd upgrade to SUV even that no snow tires or chains.

When I'll get fortunate enough to catch a storm in UT. For driving into LCC and BCC I would take a bus and don't worry about driving conditions

RISkier

I'm not local but with been to UT a few times. Big difference between staying in PC and Snowbird, IMO. Snowbird is basically a purpose built resort. I think the lodges in Alta have more character. There is not much up there, though if you're only staying a few days and are the kind of folks who ski hard, eat, and slip, staying at either Snowbird or Alta would be viable. I'd say Snowbird is a challenging mountain and probably best for strong or at least adventurous, intermediates or above. My wife and I really like PC, BUT we end up driving to Alta/Bird/Solitude at least half the days we ski. Main street in PC has lots of shops, restaurants, pubs, galleries, etc. It's lined with Victorian buildings and manages to preserve some charm. Parking downtown is tough but the public transportation is good. For no particular reason, we've never skied any of PCMR before the merger with The Canyons. Some folks dislike The Canyons, but my wife and I have really enjoyed it. But, you might want to do a free tour because it's a little challenging to find your way around. Last time we did a tour it was my wife, me, and 1 other person with 2 guides. After skiing a bit they asked if we wanted to go find some nice powder. Ended up on some trails where there was only 1 track. Now, with the merger, you can really travel. In February you should have great snow anywhere, but the resorts in the Cottonwoods Canyons start about 1000' higher and do get more snow. Also better scenery. I don't have specific lodging recommendations. Last time in PC we stayed in an efficiency in Treasure Mountain which we rented off of VRBO; not big, not fancy, but indoor parking and very convenient to downtown. I could send you a contact if you are interested. Might be a little small for more than a couple? Road up to Alta/Snowbird is pretty steep but generally well maintained. But they can only do so much if it's dumping. AWD would definitely be a plus if you're counting on driving up to Bird/Alta everyday. Roads to PC are much less challenging. Whenever we're there we have to have a Buffalo burger at the No Name Saloon. And if you're in SLC and like Mexican, the Red Iguana is wonderful. Especially if you like Mole. They have 7-8 different home made mole sauces. And. it's pretty close to the airport so depending on flight schedules, stopping for lunch before on the way to the airport is not too inconvenient.

4aprice

OK, how about recommendations in Snowbird or Park City. Don't feel like driving every day and Wife gave me a upgrade to stay right near the mountain.

Still a 3 day trip ? I would say LCC or Snowbird/Alta. There is so much terrain there you couldn't possibly be bored. Look for deals up on the mountain. I can't imagine the Cliff Lodge is consistently sold out or some of the lodges up at Alta (some have their own little lifts, kind of cool). That would be if you scared of the canyons being shut down, if not there is plenty of places down in the valley. Park City? Its a cool place and if you decided to go there I would say stay up there, as there is plenty of skiing there and little reason to go over to the front 4. My own bias, having spent a lot of time at Aspen, never found PC to be as fun.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

crank

I have gone both ways...stayed up at Snowbird and stayed in Sandy.

More and better dining options in and around Sandy. Lots of reasonably prices business hotels. Easy drive unless there is a big storm.

Rented a studio condo timeshare at Iron Blossam at Snowbird off of Craigslist for just $600 for an entire week. It was me and my son and we skied Alta 3 days and Snowbird 2.

Took a shuttle there and back from the airport so no need to rent a car, but it probably will be about the same price to rent a car for 3 days as it would be to shuttle up the canyon.

I have never stayed at any of the Alta lodges, but that would be a good option for a short trip with your son. I believe breakfast and dinner are included. Not sure of the pricing though

thetrailboss

Staff member
So if you stay up in LCC your options are limited and the cost will generally be higher.

Snowbird has a few options that give them the captive audience. The best, and likely most expensive option, is the Cliff. Nice facility that just got a remodel. They have condo units on the west end that are timeshare and longer term units. You might be able to snag one on eBay or even Craigslist. No joke. These units have kitchens and their own hot tubs on decks. The rest of the Cliff are traditional hotel rooms.

The other facilities (Iron Blosam, The Inn, etc.) are smaller and more dated.

Alta has a handful of lodges that are independently run. The only sort-of mountain run lodging is the Goldminer's Daughter and it is very pricey for what it is. The others will be pricey. That said, they do generally feed you and the food is good so that is a huge plus. Also they are friendlier if that is what you want instead of the anonymous feel of a larger hotel. Advantage of staying up in LCC: if it is dumping you don't have the road or traffic and you get first dibs on the snow. The downside: price and lack of anything to do but ski.

SLC and the greater area have tons of chain hotels and local options. Too many to list.

Brad J

I really like the Snowpine and Alta Lodge, I stayed at the Alta Lodge dorm, 4 beds so you will have company , great food and price is around 150 per person all in per night. No car needed ,ski in and out. Storms perfect timing.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Anyone ever stay at the Inn at Snowbird? Seems nice enough. Also, does Snowbird have mtn guides like other mountains do?

Haven't stayed there, but I know it is a lower pricepoint than the Cliff and a bit dated, but not bad. It has a good location. Not slopeside per se, but a very short walk to the Snowbird Center and Tram. You also get access to the Cliff pool and adult spa I believe. I may be wrong on that.

WoodCore

If it's only 3 days......spend the money and stay up in the Canyon. I've stayed up in LCC multiple times, from the Cliff to Goldminer's Daughter to my buddies couch in the "Buckhorn". nothing finer then a closed Canyon road on a mega-powder day!