• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Snowbird: Dec. 29, 2012

thetrailboss

Staff member
Ski Area: Snowbird, Utah

Dates:
December 29, 2012

Conditions:
P (65" base, 196" season total to date)

Weather:
Sunny, temps in the low 20's.

Report No: 10

Last stop for the holiday ski tour. Snowmonster and Lil' Snowmonster met me for a nice day at the 'bird. I did some arm twisting to get Lil' Snowmonster to come with us.

After a couple warm up spins, first down an already slick Regulator and the second down a much better Mark Malu, I headed down to the Snowbird Center to rendezvous with Snowmonster and Lil' Snowmonster (SM and LSM respectively). We grabbed the Peruvian and headed to Mineral Basin via the Tunnel. Our plan was to ski Baldy Express for a few runs before going from there. We did Lupine Loop down:

ry%3D400

And basked in the sun and nice views:

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

SM and LSM in the Mineral Basin with Twins and the Powder Paradise behind them:

ry%3D400

When we got down to Baldy it was stopped and it did not move for a good 15 minutes or so. That left us heading for Mineral Basin Express, which was already backed up.

At the top I got some more good shots of them:

ry%3D400

And we did get ambushed by the Paparazzi:

S_GH_34_1_3673.jpg

By now we decided to head to the bottom so that LSM could enjoy the Baby Thunder area while the boys ran wild.

We eased our way down Chip's Way:

ry%3D400

SM and I could not stick within the cat track and hit Surf Turn Gully, Middle Silver Fox, Hully Gully, Hubba Bubba, and Middle Men's DH. Hubba Bubba still harbored some untracked near the trees.

Taking a breather in the Cirque:

ry%3D400

All smiles:

ry%3D400

Last edited:

thetrailboss

Staff member
We headed down Rothman's and over to Baby Thunder where LSM skied for almost three hours before sunning herself on the deck at Creekside.

After grabbing a granola bar...err...sandwich, Red Bull, chips, and a granola bar...SM and I got down to business with some lines he had not visited in his previous visits in March.

East Bench:

ry%3D400

Rasta:

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

SM looking to go pick some Deep Pockets....

ry%3D400

The new Little Cloud HSQ made it possible for us to hammer out some great lines in less than 20 minutes before we headed for far Powder Paradise, just knocking on the door to the Bookends:

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

But I had at least one more trick up the sleeve...a little Chamonix Bowl action:

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

Heading out for more....

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

thetrailboss

Staff member
Where's SM?

ry%3D400

His pow-eating smile!

ry%3D400

But just another day in powder paradise....

ry%3D400

We headed down Mark Malu, to Bicarb Gully, and then down Gad Gully to Creekside and out for the day.

ry%3D400

It was nice skiing the 'bird with SM and LSM and I hope to see them again soon!

snowmonster

Thanks again for the guided tour, TB. It would have been a miserable day for LSM without you!

After seeing the photo of how close we were to the Bookends, we should have gone for it. Screaming legs be damned!

I'm actually disappointed that we didn't get photos of Tigerman/men and the idiots who got on their butts and scraped down the trails.

'Til the next time! Thanks again for making us look good!

thetrailboss

Staff member
It was also cheesy head-dress day at the mountain:

Dances with wolves?

S_GH_34_1_3659.jpg

Werewolves on snowblades:

S_RN_92_5_1279.jpg

A sheep?

S_RN_94_5_1764.jpg

And the usual characters were out...here is a local ski bum:

S_RN_91_5_1088.jpg

Folks taking pictures of people taking pictures of them...

S_RN_92_5_1138.jpg

thetrailboss

Staff member
Speaking of cheesy headdresses, there was panda man, raccoon man and THAT woman in the locker room.

Yep. A Panda, raccoon, and the Bison Girl in the locker room. Not to mention two tigers.

No critter sightings at Alta.

I might need to start a website--www.peopleofsnowbird.com

:lol:

Cheese

Great shots TB and quite a tour in the trip report. I've gotta get back out there soon. So many places, so little vacation time ...