• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Snowbird Update: Little Cloud Double to be Replaced, New Mountain Coaster

thetrailboss

Staff member
Bump. Update on Mary Ellen. Sounds like they are proceeding and asking for approval of two lifts and a zip line on their private land.

http://fox13now.com/2016/01/06/utah...i-resort-expansion-into-american-fork-canyon/

In 2014 they built a traverse/service road in the Bookends to the Pass. They also widened the Bookends Traverse and took out the nasty Hillary Step.

As a Snowbird skier, the place is DEFINITELY better than it was in 2011--new lifts, better grooming, better snowmaking, awesome Summit Lodge, and they've kept a lot of things untouched including the long seasons. I will have to look at the proposal, but I am inclined to support this plan.

jimmywilson69

I love the opposition's stance.

"Once you have development in a pristine wilderness area, thatwilderness area is gone," Zappala said.

Zappala, a Cedar Hills councilman, said he's heard from hundreds of theresidents he represents who live in the community near the mouth of AmericanFork Canyon, who say they don't want these new lifts built.

"There's concern that we want to be sure that the traditional uses ofthe canyon are honored up there," Zappala said.
The councilman said the area's a popular spot to hit the great outdoors-from horseback riding, to four-wheeling, to hiking and backcountry skiing.

I don't consider horseback riding and four wheeling "wilderness activities"

Typical NIMBY stuff

thetrailboss

Staff member
I love the opposition's stance.

"Once you have development in a pristine wilderness area, thatwilderness area is gone," Zappala said.

Zappala, a Cedar Hills councilman, said he's heard from hundreds of theresidents he represents who live in the community near the mouth of AmericanFork Canyon, who say they don't want these new lifts built.

"There's concern that we want to be sure that the traditional uses ofthe canyon are honored up there," Zappala said.
The councilman said the area's a popular spot to hit the great outdoors-from horseback riding, to four-wheeling, to hiking and backcountry skiing.

I don't consider horseback riding and four wheeling "wilderness activities"

Typical NIMBY stuff

The area that they want to develop is not "wilderness" at all. It is private land owned by Snowbird that was a mine dump that they cleaned up at their own expense a few years back. I think that if they are not going to have a separate base area it is fine.

You're right though that the fight is over use.

jimmywilson69

yeah I just looked on Google earth. You can see the abandoned mines further down in the canyons as well as the newish road you talked about previously.

BeefyBoy50

Hillary Step

Bump. Update on Mary Ellen. Sounds like they are proceeding and asking for approval of two lifts and a zip line on their private land.

http://fox13now.com/2016/01/06/utah...i-resort-expansion-into-american-fork-canyon/

In 2014 they built a traverse/service road in the Bookends to the Pass. They also widened the Bookends Traverse and took out the nasty Hillary Step.

As a Snowbird skier, the place is DEFINITELY better than it was in 2011--new lifts, better grooming, better snowmaking, awesome Summit Lodge, and they've kept a lot of things untouched including the long seasons. I will have to look at the proposal, but I am inclined to support this plan.

Trailboss,
I've seen the cat road on google earth (it's quite visible), but when I was out there the week after christmas, the traverse to the Bookends was just a skier traverse - it wasn't an actual road, like the Road to Provo or the Path to Paradise. Is this simply because so much snow fell the week before christmas and they didn't clear and flatten the snow on the road, or do they leave it this way all winter? I was expecting a Road to Provo - esque cat track all the way out to the ridge between Mineral Basin and Mary Ellen (not sure what the name of this spot is) but it looked like not much had changed (although the Hillary Step was gone).

thetrailboss

Staff member
Trailboss,
I've seen the cat road on google earth (it's quite visible), but when I was out there the week after christmas, the traverse to the Bookends was just a skier traverse - it wasn't an actual road, like the Road to Provo or the Path to Paradise. Is this simply because so much snow fell the week before christmas and they didn't clear and flatten the snow on the road, or do they leave it this way all winter? I was expecting a Road to Provo - esque cat track all the way out to the ridge between Mineral Basin and Mary Ellen (not sure what the name of this spot is) but it looked like not much had changed (although the Hillary Step was gone).

There is an actual road there. In 2014 they cut it from the saddle and took out the Hillary Step. This summer they completed the road all the way across to Road to Paradise. They groomed it all the way to the saddle this week--first time for the season.

Exhibit A taken yesterday from just past the Hillary Step (RIP)...look closely and you see groomer marks on the sides:

12522943_10153598211489667_363636695257304858_n.jpg

BeefyBoy50

Cat Track

There is an actual road there. In 2014 they cut it from the saddle and took out the Hillary Step. This summer they completed the road all the way across to Road to Paradise. They groomed it all the way to the saddle this week--first time for the season.

Exhibit A taken yesterday from just past the Hillary Step (RIP)...look closely and you see groomer marks on the sides:

12522943_10153598211489667_363636695257304858_n.jpg

Ah ok that wasn't there a week ago!

thetrailboss

Staff member
Ah ok that wasn't there a week ago!

Honestly I had forgotten about it as well until yesterday when there was a groomed traverse all the way out to the saddle! :lol: It makes life a lot easier.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone