• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

So whats your ski vehicle?

Maksim

What do you like?
What do you dislike?
Is this your daily driver or ski vehicle?

2004 Mazda 6.
FWD, like it for the 60/40 split folding, dont need a roof rack.

V6 gets blah gas mileage, around 23.
Daily driver.

Hawkshot99

Honda CRV

AWD 5/spd is great in the snow. Daily driver, pulls my mowing trailer all summer too.

I have replaced every major component on it except for the engine. Honda reliability does not apply for me.

drjeff

The familes ski car quiver is as follows:

Me, Chevy Trailblazer

2002-07-Chevrolet-Trailblazer-02124361990002.jpg

My wife, Audi Q7

gallerypar0266image.jpg

Both get the Thule Box mounted on top when need be.

Neither one gets more than 20 mpg. :( Both are REAL stable in the snow :)

My dream ski vehicle (It would be perfect to get me the mile or so from my place across the street from Mount Snow to the mountain ;) )

175351.jpg

RootDKJ

Website
phresheez.com
2008 Ford Escape Hybrid AWD
1FMCU49H48KA90069-1.jpg

This is a work vehicle I have personal use of
Drives like a tank in the snow
Holds enough ski gear and luggage for a week ski trip
MP3 jack

Dislike
Has a roof rack w/o crossbars. WTF?

Overall I love driving the Escape. Very comfortable for me and overall a good layout. It's also a very quite vehicle

Euler

We just purchased a 2009 Forester this past June. I can't wait to see how much easier the AWD will make my trips to the mountain on Snow Days. (I'm a teacher, so I usually have storm days off midweek)

djspookman

I've got a beat 95 subaru legacy wagon with 218,000 miles on the clock. It's my daily driver, and my ski car. It's paid for and has no problems, besides some worn out seats :) I can even sleep in it if I need to, it hauls my gear and friends around too.. LOVE IT. Handles great in snow, its great on gas, and best part is, its cheap to insure, reliable, and cheap to feed at the pump!

dave

frozencorn

Solo: '06 Mazda 6..not 4WD, but handles surprisingly well in snow.

Family: '03 Mitsubishi Oulander.

migs 01

07 Mazda CX-7. Pretty fast, handles great and guzzles down premium fuel.

2Planker

'06 Audi S4 Sedan -- AWD V8 6spd Manual -- Daily Driver + Ski Ride

08 Audi TT Coupe -- AWD Turbo 4 6 Spd Manual -- Wifey's Ride Occasional ski ride

69 Impala SS Convert. 427-LS1 Auto 51,000 orig. miles

'00 Miata Intercooled, Turbocharged, Chipped 260hp Sick Summer Toy

Grassi21

2004 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited - solo or two man missions

pros - great in the snow, fun to drive

cons - guzzles gas, no rear seat since i need the cargo space for ski bag and skis, with just a soft top it can be difficult to hear the passenger at highway speeds

2005 Toyota 4Runner - family truckster

pros - great in the snow, fun to drive, fits tons of gear for extended stays, seats up to 4 adults with the toddler seat installed

cons - its my wife's daily driver so i can't take it when the boys are heading up to VT or the Catskills

ta&idaho

I lent my parents my ski vehicle ('04 Jeep Liberty) when I moved to Manhattan, so I have to rely on busses, trains, and rental cars these days.

Glenn

My DD and our skimobile-
2003 Grand Cherokee Laredo
4.0 I-6
242 t-case
open diffs (Whee! Wheel spin!) :spin:

We love this thing. I swore I'd never drive anything but a car. However, I really enjoy the Jeep. It's fun to drive and haul a lot of crap/gear. I put on a Mopar trailer hitch and wiring so I can tug around my 4x8 trailer and quad.

Even with "meh" tires (which will be replaced before the snow flies) the thing is a tank in the snow. I like the 242 because I have the option of keeping the t-case open or locked. I also have 4lo if it things go from bad to worse.

The only thing I don't like is the trans...I feel it needs and extra gear. This really becomes apparent when you're driving on those VT roads, chugging along at 45-50. O/D is a bit too high and the engine lugs. Clicking off o/d usually helps. A very minor gripe overall. I average about 20/21 mpg on trips to Mt/ Snow and back.

CleanJeep3.jpg

My wife's DD....haven't taken it skiing, but it's been to VT for the off season.
2002 Audi A6
quattro
tip trans

A really solid vehicle! It's only got 42/43k on the clock due to my wife's really short drive to work. Another best in the snow! I'm sure it would make a great skimobile, but it's so much easier throwing all the gear in the Jeep with the seats folded down.

This car is an awesome highway cruiser IMHO.

CleanAudi2.jpg

Last edited:

campgottagopee

Currently ---- '09 Subaru Tribeca Ltd

Pro's it's free
Con's not great fuel economy--but I really don't care

Wife----'06 Pathfinder LE

Pro's--- Nice comfy ride, great in snow, lots-o-room
Con's---again not the best fuel economy

skidmarks

2000 VW Golf
With 4 snow tires it gets me where I want to go. My AVG MPG is around 30 with a lead foot.
The box drops it down 2 MPG.

picture.php

bvibert

Staff member
2001 VW Passat Wagon. It's my DD and ski vehicle. It did alright in the snow last year with crappy tires. This year I got some snows for it.

If the snow is really coming down I'll take my wife's '98 Chevy Blazer. It's got 4wd, that's probably the only good thing...

sledhaulingmedic

OD (Only Driver):

home_sweet_truck1.jpg

gearing_up.jpg

2004 Silverado HD 6.6L Duramax w/Allison Transmission.

Likes: Unstoppable in snow (considering the engine weighs as much as a small SUV), tons of cargo room. Can travel with three, four's pushing it. Good milage for such a large vehicle. Insane amount of torque (left an Acura in the dust on the climbing lane on Temple Mountain the other day...and I was loaded and pulling a small trailer). Espar heater (aftermarket) lets me come back to a pre-warmed cab at the end of the day.

Dislikes: Diesel full price upsidedown to gas. Parking in the city is a pain.

Much as I love it, I'll go smaller next time around. I'm not doing nearly as much work with it.

Warp Daddy

ski vehicle/ vacation and trip wheels a 2007 Saab 9.3Sport Combi loaded, . 9 k miles , awesome in snow 32-34 mpg,

Our Daily wheels 1992 Saab Turbo Turtleback - cherry condition 95 k miles same in snow just not as many toys on it as the 07

deadheadskier

Staff member
Ladies daily driver / my ski car: 2007 Hyundai Sonata SE

sonata.jpg

There's really not much I dislike about the car. Great gas mileage for a V6 around 29mpg on the highway, comfortable, solid pick up. It did okay in the snow on original tires last year, I'm having snows mounted tomorrow, so it should be even better. I went from 2000 Audi A6, to the Sonata and I like the Hyundai better.

My daily driver: 2004 Subaru Legacy Wagon

Dislikes: sssllllooowwwww, crappy interior appointments, can't use it for personal use, company will be taking it away in the spring and we'll be back to having two car payments again