• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Sochi - VT's Hannah Kearney's Bronze in Moguls

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
Also on DVR Last night :) I was watching and reading about it this morning.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...8/hannah-kearney-womens-moguls-medal/5314797/

Interestingly when she received her bronze, she was very emotional, she obviously wanted to win the gold, and expressed dissapointment at a bronze.

On her Facebook page, she made a post about her emotional situation:

I certainly never dreamed of breaking down on National TV, but in the moment that I failed to achieve the goal I had poured my body and soul into for the last four years, I experienced very strong emotions. Some people have criticized my behavior and labeled it as "disrespectful, embarrassing, entitled, & bratty." I believe that everyone has a right to their true feelings and opinions, but I certainly don't mean to be ungrateful. I may have been devastated in the moment, but I am thrilled to be at the Olympics and proud to be bringing home a medal for my country.

I know it is impossible to please everyone, just as it is impossible to win every competition. Although I may be hyper-competitive and very focused on winning, I acknowledge that sports and life are about setting goals, working hard and conducting yourself in respectful and authentic manner, not just striving for a victory. I have also learned that in this age of social media, it is easy to get over exposed to other people's opinions. I have chosen to share my life and my career, so I will take the criticism with the support and I will use it to make myself a stronger person.

Basically, some articles out there have called her out as being "whiny" , example: http://www.examiner.com/article/han...nning-bronze-at-olympic-moguls-a-broken-heart

It’s fair to say Kearney wasn't throwing shade at her competitors, but she does need a lesson in gracefulness and perhaps a discussion about her entitlement issues. She should be proud to be on the podium for America. Granted it wasn't at the top, but that’s definitely not something she should whine about. She got to chase her dream and do her best in the moment. For her to act this way makes Team USA look so bad.
Fans are not disappointed at Hannah Kearney’s medal placing, but if she continues to carry on perhaps she should give it back. That way America won’t be embarrassed about her disrespectful behavior.

I'm of the opinion that an olympian really gives 100% toward a goal and it's a shame to see someone calling that emotion untoward.

Your thoughts?

from_the_NEK

Website
fineartamerica.com
I'm of the opinion that an olympian really gives 100% toward a goal and it's a shame to see someone calling that emotion untoward.
That is my opinion as well. Add to the fact that she has made it clear this was her final Olympics and that she knows she goes bigger and faster than the other competitors and it can be very hard to contain that emotion. Athletes are not robots. I have no problem letting them show emotion.

Abominable

You know, I was gonna write something like who is this blogger and where does she get off criticizing an Olympic athlete, etc., but then:

Jodi Jill (born January 29, 1971) is an author and celebrity columnist best known for having been raised in a public storage facility.

??

BenedictGomez

I thought her behaviour was a bit over-the-top as well, but she believed she's the best and that the event was hers to lose, so I understand her disappointment.

A little obnoxious, and certainly a lot ungrateful? I can get how some would think that. But frankly I prefer someone honest like her to someone like Tiger Woods who always says the "right thing" whenever the cameras are rolling.

SIKSKIER

When I watched it live,her interview rubbed me the wrong way as well.I think those that felt the way I did realize she was disapointed but she was not gracious at all.Bode was in the same situation yesterday being his last Olympic downhill and after being the favorite he finishes like 8th?He sounded a whole lot different in his interview.And I do realize that he has more events but...just saying.

Domeskier

If any one should be upset, it's Aiko Uemura, who should have beaten Kearney for the Bronze easily.

timm

I always prefer athletes to be honest (and interesting) to saying the "right" things.

By the same token, people are free to feel how they want about them. "Favorites" lose all the time. Kearney's specific comments seemed to go beyond emotional disappointment to sort of backhanding the actual winners despite the fact that even if she hadn't stumbled she may not have won. Others may feel differently.

Highway Star

Just based on seeing Hannah Kearney around Killington, she seems like someone who is willing to show their true emotions and not afraid to be angry/sad about losing. Deal with it.

from_the_NEK

Website
fineartamerica.com
Bode was in the same situation yesterday being his last Olympic downhill and after being the favorite he finishes like 8th?He sounded a whole lot different in his interview.And I do realize that he has more events but...just saying.

Bode was also able to escape to the athlete's tent to collect his thoughts before getting interviewed. I bet if he had a mike shoved in his face 2 minutes after he finished, that interview may have gone differently.

emmaurice2

Imagine you've dedicated your life to achieving a very specific goal, but then you don't achieve that goal. You're not going to have rosy things to say a few minutes after your perceived failure. You're going to be beating yourself up and mentally replaying every little mistake.

She was being coached on skiing her best, not public relations.

Whether or not she even deserved the bronze...in my mind, yes considering speed and air, her form breaks not so much.

BenedictGomez

Kearney's specific comments seemed to go beyond emotional disappointment to sort of backhanding the actual winners despite the fact that even if she hadn't stumbled she may not have won. Others may feel differently.

I agree with your first point, but not your second point.

Her time was excellent and her tricks were better than either medaling sister. It was the bobbling of one mogul that cost her the gold.

And I have to say, I think that's a flaw in the sport. It essentially disincentives competitors from going big.

Warp Daddy

The intensity and isolation of the commitment to train for Excellence by anyone , much less a young competitor is certain to expose raw emotion when one fails to achieve one's expectation of THEMSELVES . Especially when displayed while under intense scrutiny by an insatiable public seeking instantaneous reaction and yes even emotional overload / meltdown at the competitors expense for TV RATINGS is more than understandable .

Whenever we all screw up , we have the luxury of time to craft an emotionally mature response , these young people are still developing emotionally as well as physically. So while we may wince at the lack of tact, it is a momentary venting that will no doubt be reflected upon by the competitor and he/she will be more seasoned in any follow up interviews . hey hannah great job !!!

jack97

First of all, I didn't have a chance to watch the finals but I did watch the qualification round, the canadian sisters were ripping it up. It did not surprise me if one or two of them makes the podium.

Second, I have no problem with Hannah showing her emotions in that manner... anyone who dedicates four year of training and comes up short has got to be disappointed. IMO, anyone who competes at that level has to believe 100% they will win. If not, they should not be competing in that level. if that sounds arrogant then it is was it is.

Third, the only problem i have with this is Hannah put herself in that position... she has exposed herself to the media and most likely agreed to a post run interview with NBC. If you swim with the sharks... someday you may be bitten. Meaning the media attention she sought is so much based on perception and very little with reality.

timm

I agree with your first point, but not your second point.

Her time was excellent and her tricks were better than either medaling sister. It was the bobbling of one mogul that cost her the gold.

Probably true, I was more referring to the "if things were different, they would be different" nature of it.

twinplanx

Just based on seeing Hannah Kearney around Killington, she seems like someone who is willing to show their true emotions and not afraid to be angry/sad about losing. Deal with it.

Has she challenged you to a ski-off?

Sent from my SCH-S735C using Tapatalk

Domeskier

Bode was also able to escape to the athlete's tent to collect his thoughts before getting interviewed. I bet if he had a mike shoved in his face 2 minutes after he finished, that interview may have gone differently.

Too bad for Bode that they can't award medals based on media hype and pre-Olympic expectations in the downhill or he might have walked away with the bronze, too.

ruko

That is my opinion as well. Add to the fact that she has made it clear this was her final Olympics and that she knows she goes bigger and faster than the other competitors and it can be very hard to contain that emotion. Athletes are not robots. I have no problem letting them show emotion.

Totally agree. You are a great athlete Hanna K.!

Warp Daddy

You make her sound like a child. She is 27 years old.

Her Biological age may be 27 BUT by her BEHAVIOR she has not yet reached a state of Emotional Intelligence or Maturity ...that is obvious .

Not criticizing simply observing behavior and response .