• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Some news from the Kingdom

WoodCore

Dislike! Looks like this is turning into a real shit show!

thetrailboss

Staff member
You beat me to it. Call it cutting off your nose to spite your face; burning bridges; showing your true colors; showing the community what you really think of it.

I got an Email this morning with this in it and I was so :angry: but not completely surprised. A few months ago an unnamed source told me that Q2 was fighting with KT and, as the article said, refused to pay up the $20,000 he owed to KT under the written contract. I thought about saying something here about it, but had faith that the voices of reason would tell Q2 to stand down and turn off the afterburners. Apparently they did and Q2 forked over that money, but as the article says, now is taking his ball and going home.

When we all learned that "Jay Peak" was buying Burke, I was so happy. Bill Stenger is a leader in the industry and a good guy. He came in and helped Burke in 2000 when Burke 2000 was trying to open it. He gets it. He has a good PR team and they run a good business. Slowly, however, I learned that Bill Stenger is not a part of this and it's his business partner Mr. Quiros, Sr. Junior needs a job, so Daddy sends him to Burke. It becomes QBurke because, as Q2 said in the WCAX interview I posted, "he needs to prove himself." Prove himself he did; he can move onto other things.

The article shows his true colors. He implies that the previous manager had some conflict of interest with KT, a non-profit community group that had a symbiotic relationship with Burke. Not only that, but the founders were, and still are, Burke employees. He seems to think that he will make it next summer without KT. Hate to tell him, but folks come for KT, not the mountain. QBurke will fail next summer...especially if he thinks that folks will pay more to ride the lower mountain. Also a complete dick move to cut off the very folks who (voluntarily) built the "goose that lays the golden egg" for the mountain in the summer. Most of the trails on the mountain were built by KT volunteers.

And, to be sure that we go down flaming, we make the announcement less than a week before the Christmas Vacation and at the very start of ski season. There are lots of locals who volunteer for KT and ski at Burke. I guess this season locals know how much Mr. Quiros values their business and they will go elsewhere. So much for increasing skier visits. And a lot of out-of-town folks who visit Burke are KT loyals who will hear this news and ski elsewhere. There is a lot of choice for folks in Vermont besides Burke--Cannon is a mere 45 minutes away and they have done a great job listening to their guests.

We are really lucky to have the new QBurke marketing guy here in the forums. I hope that he hears this feedback and can convince Mr. Quiros that this is the worst mistake that they can make on so many levels. The PR show is going to be awesome, and at the beginning of the season nonetheless. I wish the marketing guy luck. He's been around the business a long time and knows that this is just plain idiotic. There's no way you can spin this one.

Burke was, and is, my home. Mr. Quiros is making me miss it much less I guess. I will be sure not to give him anymore money in the future until he brains up.

And my comments are mine, only mine, and not those of AZ or the management.

This classic footage pretty much sums of the situation:

"If this isn't the biggest bag over the head, punch in the face I've ever got, GODDAMNIT!"

"I want him brought from his happy holiday slumber over there on Melody Lane with all the other rich people and I want him brought right here, with a big ribbon on his head, and I want to look him straight in the eye and I want to tell him what a cheap, lying, no-good, rotten, fore-fleshing, low-life, snake-licking, dirt-eating, inbred, overstuffed, ignorant, blood-sucking, dog-kissing, brainless, d!@kless, hopeless, heartless, fat-@ss, bug-eyed, stiff-legged, spotty-lipped, worm-headed sack of monkey s@!t he is. Hallelujah. Holy s@!t. Where's the Tylenol?"

Last edited:

dlague

Yaaaaaaa! I do not think this is smart. Kingdom Trails is nationally recognized as a great trail network. I think that Kingdom Trails has done a lot to work on the trail system there on Burke. Prior to being lift served, they used to bus people up the toll road rather than using the lifts.

Q Burke should learn to work with its neighbors and the community or else it will fade! This is really sad to see.

I think we will have to skip our trips to Q Burke and seek alternative resorts!

snoseek

^^^^Well said. Funny how he shows interest to keeping ties with marketing. Well duh! the towns busier in summer than winter...they all come to ride KT!!!This guy needs to learn a lot about business and PR. Everyone post your thoughts in a classy way on their FB page, let em know if you disagree...

thetrailboss

Staff member
And what is this I hear about a Bell Grant that KT worked hard to get for...drumroll...Burke Mountain?!

snoseek

I get even more pissed thinking about that Bell Grant they won last year, it was weird to begin with but now it's just wrong. Their bike park is ok but definitely not worth driving past Highland for. This guy is fucking delusional. All this just to save 20kish per year, small potatoes for a ski resort but much needed money for a volunteer non-profit.

snoseek

It payed for a flow trail at the bike park....I was skeptical to begin with although KT was behind the push for the award and probably the building too. I thought Corral in South lake should have won as it was a good example of people working with the forest service. Without KT burke wouls have lost, then again without KT Burke would be a ghost town is summer and I question whether Burke would even have the people or demand to come up with any sort of plan for development.

thetrailboss

Staff member
It payed for a flow trail at the bike park....I was skeptical to begin with although KT was behind the push for the award and probably the building too. I thought Corral in South lake should have won as it was a good example of people working with the forest service. Without KT burke wouls have lost, then again without KT Burke would be a ghost town is summer and I question whether Burke would even have the people or demand to come up with any sort of plan for development.

Agreed. And this is a PR disaster of epic proportions.

snoseek

I've never been a local to the area but first started riding KT somewhere in the late 90's. You rolled into town, bought a map for 5 bucks and off you went. It was SLOW back then in summer. The amount of people now can be overwhelming and for the NEK that's a great thing...mtn bikers spend lots of dough. The way I see it is KT is probably the very best at what they do and are unique, Burke is awesome but also faces stiff competition being in VT. If they want to jeopardize their ability to be a year round destination by saving 22k per year (going to the people that built the fucking trails)....then just wow!

from_the_NEK

Website
fineartamerica.com
A very sad day indeed.
I heard about this on the radio this morning but I hadn't read the article yet. I got a sick feeling in my stomach hearing it but I can't say I'm completely surprised (I may or may not have been Trailboss’ “unnamed source” ;-)).

I'm starting to think the Quiros believe they can turn Burke into a destination resort without help and support of the local communities. Once they get their hotel/lodges and Olympic Pool and fancy Tennis facility built, they will no longer need to put up with the dirt bag MTB'rs that have turned the town around in the last 10 years. They will have people travelling here from all over the world to use their facilities.

This entire situation is a giant middle finger to the locals. I can see anyone really wanting to go work there at this rate.

I really hope Lyndon Outing Club gets some decent snow this year.
If I was Bell I would ask for the grant back. There has to be some sort of clause in the contract about for profit ownership right?

thetrailboss

Staff member
The insult to injury part is the sh^& eating grin in the photograph that accompanies the article.

Website
www.nebackcountry.blogspot.com
I'd say alienating a group which is composed primarily of the surrounding landowners, while at the same time sending a negative wave down the East Coast for everyone that knows of (and loves) KT is just about the dumbest PR move they could pull. I don't think it is possible to spend the amount of money they think they might be saving themselves to undo the damage they are doing to the Burke brand, and to any future development in the area.

On a positive note, they have finally found a way to get the locals and flatlanders to agree on something.

dlague

Seems like the $20k would be worth it from a visibility perspective! So I am not getting it.