• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Son Got Stationed at Fort Carson , CO

dlague

So I have been researching the stats for each resort and I think it is interesting that as big as some of them are, the trails count is not much different than resorts in New England but spread out over a much larger area. Also looking at Brecks and Vail trail maps, is it me or do their trail map not do them a service?

Many people were saying that Monarch should be a consideration due to proximity to Fort Carson. A military season pass is like $199 and you get additional 3 lift tickets to Copper Mountain, Loveland, Purgatory, Ski Cooper and 5 days half price at Sunlight and Powderhorn. So that begs the question, "What about Monarch?".

Smellytele

I drove by Monarch, well about 16 miles/20 minutes east at Poncha Springs when driving from Breck to Wolf Creek and the area itself was barren of any snow and was surprised to see a sign pointing to a ski area 16 miles. But Pagosa springs was the same way when compared to Wolf Creek.

skiNEwhere

The one major complaint I hear about monarch is the very, or lack thereof. I think it's only about 1,000 ft. I've heard that the mirkwood terrain is definitely worth checking out.

jimk

So I have been researching the stats for each resort and I think it is interesting that as big as some of them are, the trails count is not much different than resorts in New England but spread out over a much larger area. Also looking at Brecks and Vail trail maps, is it me or do their trail map not do them a service?

Many people were saying that Monarch should be a consideration due to proximity to Fort Carson. A military season pass is like $199 and you get additional 3 lift tickets to Copper Mountain, Loveland, Purgatory, Ski Cooper and 5 days half price at Sunlight and Powderhorn. So that begs the question, "What about Monarch?".

Let me start by saying I've never been to Monarch so take this with a grain of salt, but I've been to about a dozen other ski areas in CO. It might boil down to how many days are you going to be out there and do you have a priority of visiting numerous big name resorts before settling for a smaller more intimate mtn? Small being relative, because Monarch will probably ski as big as many larger mtns in New England. It's kind of like someone traveling from the southeast for a rare chance to ski New England and going to northern NH and skiing only Black Mtn or northern VT to ski only Bolton. It can be a fun choice, but you'd be passing up some pretty spectacular nearby ski areas. If you are only going to CO for one week and you son gets a Monarch pass, then you could ski there for a day or two, maybe using Liftopia, and then get a loveland four pack. I think when you son buys a pass, any pass, things will clear up for you. You can't really lose. Frankly, I've you catch good snow you could spend many days at Monarch, Loveland, or any number of other CO resorts and have a ball.

dlague

Well at this point I would like to ski Vail or Breck or both to say we have skied there. My wife is in the same boat. In addition, we are seriously considering Steamboat (out of the way) since we will have several Warren Miller vouchers. Loveland and A Basin are two others in particular A Basin since it has been mentioned here a lot. May be on our final day we can hit up Monarch since it is closer to Ft Carson. That sounds like a decent trip on my book.

snoseek

If you're willing to do a little hiking Loveland is terrific IMO. Me personally I like the smaller areas of Colorado. A monarch pass gets you a ton of days at many of them. Better snow, less people and cheaper.

Vail pass is awfully hard to pass on, I get it but its just soooo busy!

deadheadskier

Staff member
Yup,

Vail just doesn't do it for me. Feels like Stratton on a weekend. I was there the third week of March too. It wasn't a school vacation week or anything. Felt like half the state of Texas had invaded.

steamboat1

Only been once. Skied Breck, Keystone, Vail, Beaver & A Basin. Enjoyed them all. Being mid/late April all the areas were empty. Plenty of fresh to boot. Plane in Denver was delayed & had to be de-iced when leaving April 22. Wish I could've stayed another day or two.

Talisman

I have skied Monarch a number of times at it is a fun area as it isn't crowded, great snow quality and some good bump runs. If you go there also stop by the brewery & pizza place in Salida. Monarch is like skiing the top half of other CO resorts with good snow preservation from fewer skiers.

Smellytele

Well at this point I would like to ski Vail or Breck or both to say we have skied there. My wife is in the same boat. In addition, we are seriously considering Steamboat (out of the way) since we will have several Warren Miller vouchers. Loveland and A Basin are two others in particular A Basin since it has been mentioned here a lot. May be on our final day we can hit up Monarch since it is closer to Ft Carson. That sounds like a decent trip on my book.

You may want to take a closer look at the vouchers you get from the WM show...

"receive a voucher for a complimentary one-day adult lift ticket to Steamboat when you introduce a first-time adult skier/rider to the sport."

dlague

You may want to take a closer look at the vouchers you get from the WM show...

"receive a voucher for a complimentary one-day adult lift ticket to Steamboat when you introduce a first-time adult skier/rider to the sport."

Did not catch that one! That is a deal you can get at many places in January Learn to Ski/Snowboard Month without doing anything. That is crap! Drives me crazy when ski areas come up with voucher guidelines that are tough to meet or are singular date focused so they can market themselves. Another example is the $10 off deals that are basically worth nothing to me.

Well then that will save us about 5 hours of driving.

ScottySkis

Steamboat awesome tree s lowest elevation though just don't bang with Mary in nin smoking room in suoer8 like I did several years ago.

jimk

Scout out what the shell gas 2for1 vouchers will do for you compared to liftopia or any other deals you consider. Believe they will be in play this season for places that might interest you like Copper, Loveland, Crested Butte.

dlague

Scout out what the shell gas 2for1 vouchers will do for you compared to liftopia or any other deals you consider. Believe they will be in play this season for places that might interest you like Copper, Loveland, Crested Butte.

Good one! I clued my son in on that.

dlague

So here is the proposed plan!

Currently looking into renting a condo in Silverthorne and then hitting Loveland, A Basin, Cooper, Copper and then one larger place like Vail, Snowmass, Winter Park Breck or even further north like Steamboat. Do you have any recommendations, consideration or ideas?

Puck it

So here is the proposed plan!

Currently looking into renting a condo in Silverthorne and then hitting Loveland, A Basin, Cooper, Copper and then one larger place like Vail, Snowmass, Winter Park Breck or even further north like Steamboat. Do you have any recommendations, consideration or ideas?
I would check out Frisco for condos too. Dillon Dam Brewery is a must do. There is another brewery Backcountry in Frisco. Blanking on name. Hit the local hang out Moose Jaw for cheap PBR pitchers. I have done Vail, Breck, Copper, Abasin and Loveland. All worth it. I love Copper though.