• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Spider eats bird

deadheadskier

Staff member
and there are plenty of em down here, walk near any lake with trees around it and u better have a walker stick 5feet in front of your head, ive seen some banana spiders down here as big as my hand

I've experienced that first hand down in Florida and was pretty much scarred for life.....I can't stand spiders and was literally walking along out in a farm with a friend mine down there and didn't see it until I was upon it's net and there it waited head high a foot in front of my face. Surprised I didn't have a heart attack. My time spent in nature in Florida was forever through from that moment on.

FRITOLAYGUY

I've experienced that first hand down in Florida and was pretty much scarred for life.....I can't stand spiders and was literally walking along out in a farm with a friend mine down there and didn't see it until I was upon it's net and there it waited head high a foot in front of my face. Surprised I didn't have a heart attack. My time spent in nature in Florida was forever through from that moment on.

Ya theres some crazy stuff down here i come across poisinous snakes playing golf all the time

mlctvt

We were on vacation last summer on Hunting Island in South Carolina. Plenty of places to ride you mountain bike, and one time riding through the 'jungle' near the beach I rode right through a spiders web, the web had a bit more strength than webs up here. I could feel it across my face, in my mouth, stuck on my eyelash, but I didn't stop just kept riding back to the campsite. Once I stop I see this spider coming under the visor of my helmet and walking toward my face........ not that it was the size of the bird eating spider, but, it was about three inches long, freaked me out! Only rode on the beach after that!

your story reminded me of my spider event. I was riding my road bike and I hear this smack on my sunglasses and then I see hundreds of baby spiders crawling across my glasses fanning out from the point of impact. I threw my glasses to the ground while trying not to dump the bike, grabbed my water bottle and startted spraying my face while at the same time trying to stop the bike and not crash. My wife who was riding in front stops and says "what the hell happened". A big momma spider must have fallen out of the trees and I hit her with my face on the way down. All the baby spiders riding on her back were all over me. I swear if this happened to my wife she would have totally freaked and had a heart attack.

hardline

Somewhere Between the Toeside and the Hellside

which further substantiates my dislike of the south. cold and snowy is da way to be.

Sky

I have a pick @ work of a "Camel Spider" taken by soldiers in Iraq.

I'm sure it's a "perspective" issue...proximity to the camera vs background....but it looks frickin monstrous!

I'll try to remember to e-mail it home (can't "post" @ work). :<

and there are plenty of em down here, walk near any lake with trees around it and u better have a walker stick 5feet in front of your head, ive seen some banana spiders down here as big as my hand

Yikes..one time a moth was on my shoulder and I frealed out..In Florida the animals are way more advanced..see Country Bear Jamboree for proof..

deadheadskier

Staff member
which further substantiates my dislike of the south. cold and snowy is da way to be.

The last part of your statement keeps you free from the critters, but the north has it's fair share of freaky spiders like Banana Spiders too. One of my favorite swimming holes in Central VT would occasionally get over run with fishing spiders, which can have a body the size of your thumb and legs stretch as wide as your palm an they're fast as chit. Even worse, their body color camoflages to the color of the rocks they hang out on.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Seen videos of the Great Whites leaping out of the water to kill seals. Awesome. Mouse killing snake is pretty funny.

Do you have the Planet Earth DVD series? If so, I bet you watch in slow mo the sections I fast forward through. I know it's nature and all, but I can't bare watching the sharks eating seals segments or the lions chasing down deer etc.

wa-loaf

Do you have the Planet Earth DVD series? If so, I bet you watch in slow mo the sections I fast forward through. I know it's nature and all, but I can't bare watching the sharks eating seals segments or the lions chasing down deer etc.

Nah, but I did see it on tv.

Some of that stuff does make me cringe, but we used to have a cat that took down squirrels in front of us. He'd didn't waste time playing, just started crunching away at the skull. All that would be left was a tail and two hind feet. And if he was playing, usually smaller stuff, and you tried to save it, he'd just get pissed and break it's neck and walk away. No mercy. But also the friendliest cat in the world to people. My then 2 yr old daughter would grab him and lie down on top of him and he'd take it without a complaint.

Sky

Here's the Camel Spider pic...actually "two" spiders.

WaLoaf already saw it when I e-mailed it home so I could load it up. I'm sure he's right that this pic has made the internet rounds.

CamelSpider.jpg