• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Steve Irwin dies in Stingray attack

Paul

Actaully from what ive been reading and what I know about stingrays..they are usually harmless...they rarely use the barb except in serious self defense...this animal apparently felt "trapped" between the camera man and Steve...Ive personally stepped on stingrays, unknwingly, while scuba diving.

And then the odds of being hit in the heart? Wow...talk about bad luck...and he apparently wasn't even provoking the thing..shame..I enjoyed watching the guys show occassioanlly.

M

Right on, Dog!

I'm a semi-retired SCUBA instructor, and have spent lots of time with stingrays in the Carribean. They are very gentle creatures and the barb only comes into play when they are threatened, and it takes quite a bit of provocation to get then to that point. (No pun intended) One thing that's really chaffed me about this is using the term "attack" in regard to the stingray's action. Sorry, maybe many would find this a matter of semantics, but stingrays don't attack its called defense.

I don't believe there was no provocation, there had to be at least some. I know Steve was a huge advocate for wildlife, but I've seen him deliberately do things to animals to demonstrate their defensive capabilities.

jjmcgo

Good point, Paul

Definitely not an attack but an involuntary spasm caused by something akin to what makes us produce adrenalin: sudden fear for its safety.
Trailboss, as a former professional line maker, I would say that the odds of being barbed in the heart when you place your chest directly over and excessively close to a stingray's back is only about 10-1 and maybe less.
I'd like to ask a stingray expert if there is some reason to believe the stingray targets the most vulnerable points. I saw a picture of a huge sea turtle barbed in the neck, the softest accessible spot.

NYDrew

It really is a shame. A while back i got interested in his zoo and stuff and read up on him. Sounds like he was truly a stand up guy who was just your everyday family man. Stardom and fame never changed him, if anything it humbled him more (more people to stop for).

I also once read the story of how his wife met him (pre-fame) I feel so very very bad for her, they truly were in love.

To reiterate everyones statements, he probably couldn't ask for a better way to go.

Geo.

Website
www.danceswithmarmots.com
Don't think you'll get to see the video recording Fritolayguy - They said on the news here that the public won't be seeing it.
There has only ever been three recorded deaths from stingray in Australia, so I'd say they are pretty harmless creatures unless you put yourself in a position that threatens them or instigates a reflex action. (suddenly appearing closely and directly over them or standing on them)
Real bad luck that the barb pierced his heart.

FRITOLAYGUY

Ahhhh but i heard a rumor today they are thinking about putting the video up on pay per view and all the procedes from it will go to his foundation.