• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Fishing 2022

ThatGuy

Hope you get some, the weather finally cooled off and some rain came.

JimG.

Staff member
Bog Brook 8/13-First time out since 7/10, fishing with Rich G. Wow water levels have dropped since I was last out, pretty normal for a reservoir during a drought. And the water was bathtub warm on the surface down to about 20 feet where the thermocline was.

We each caught about a dozen pumpkinseeds. These little sun fish put up a good scrap for such small creatures. When they are hitting like they were on Saturday it's a good sign that the bass are down deep.

We hung out near deep spots and jigged metal down about 30 feet. Kastmasters, Daredevils, Crocodiles and other spoons seemed to attract hits but no good bites. We never landed a bass but they were down there. We both felt that live bait would have landed fish but to us using live bait is not very sporting. Live bait is also a pain in the ass to bring along and keep alive.

Great weather, awesome to be out in the boat again. Looking forward to late summer/fall fishing action.

JimG.

Staff member
Rye Lake 9/2-the hot and dry weather really disrupted fishing in July and August, I got in a pathetic and unproductive 2 days combined. It's just no fun to sit in a rowboat in sunny and blazing hot weather. I was happy to fish Friday the weather was really nice after the 2 month blowtorch. Nice to fish with Steve again. While the fishing was not great for the first 2 1/2 hours I was confident that once the sun started to set that fishing would get good. And that turned out to be true; we fished the weed beds near our boat spot and had good action from 6:00 to dark. Nothing huge but we each landed about 5 decent bass each, a mix of small and largemouth bass.
Rye1.jpg
Catching a bunch of nice bass was just what the doctor ordered. Hoping for more good late summer and fall action in the coming weeks.

Last edited:

BodeMiller1

On the Merrimack River in Penacook / Concord. South of the Concord Monitor building there are a ton of Salmon.

JimG.

Staff member
Rye Lake 9/16-Headed out at 3pm with Steve. Conditions were very similar to 2 weeks ago when we were here. The fishing action was similar as well. Nothing much going on for the first 2 hours. Then between 5-7 the fishing action got very good. We each caught a few decent 14-15" smallmouths that all put up a great fight. Then we got back to the weed beds near our boat spot and the action got intense. We each boated our best smallmouths of the day. Then a few more decent bass came aboard. And then I hooked the largemouth bass I've been looking for here all season:
Rye2.jpg
That's a solid 6lbs largemouth bass, certainly a tournament quality catch. Put up a great fight. My biggest catch of the season. Yup that's one happy fisherman!

JimG.

Staff member
That's a great article and is one reason I'm devoted to catch and release, especially the larger fish.

JimG.

Staff member
My friend Rich N. checked in from Nantucket where he killing it catching albies and blues from the beach.
N3.jpg
N2.jpg
N1.jpg
Nothing like the ease and comfort of fishing the surf from the beach.

JimG.

Staff member
Rye Lake 9/23-A powerful cold front moved through on Friday which made for cool and windy conditions. White caps out on the res. Difficult rowing and the fishing, as expected, was slow. After catching my best bass of the season last week, it seemed fitting that I caught what was likely the tiniest bass of my fishing career today: tiny.jpg
Just about the size of the lure I was using. Not a great day for big fish but fun as always with Steve.
Just goes to show that God has a sense of humor.

JimG.

Staff member
Pepacton 10/6-Beautiful fall day. I've never seen Pepacton this low at Mill Creek. The river was barely flowing. All of the old roadbeds and foundations that serve as great cover for fish were high and dry. Spooky to see what used to be the town of Arena completely exposed like that. The fishing was reduced to casting out into deep water and few fish were landed. We still managed to hike about 6 miles total in waders looking for fish.
Act2.jpgAct3.jpgAct1.jpg
Today made me realize that having a rowboat here would be very useful. Pepacton has very few shallow areas good for wading. Mostly it is steep shorelines and 80-160 feet deep. When the water is low and wading areas high and dry the boat would be good to have. Pepacton has a huge population of big lake trout amongst many other species of fish. Getting a boat registered there is on my list over this coming winter.
Bass fishing is done. I might get out one more time for some trout action. Skiing is here.