• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Sugarbush crowds during VT vacation week

Edd

I see next week is VTs vacation week and I'm trying to decide between the Bush and the Loaf next Monday and Tuesday. I'll see where the snow falls and the wind blows and factor that in but how are the crowds at Sugarbush that week? For perspective I'm pretty crowd-phobic and almost never ski Saturdays.

TheArchitect

I'm hoping it's not too bad. I'm heading up to Sugarbush on March 1st for a Friday-Sunday trip.

WWF-VT

A high percentage of families at Sugarbush are from MA and are here this week. No worries about crowds next week. If it's a big snow day Monday that will bring out more people. Ski Mt Ellen if you are really crowd-phobic.

slatham

If there are crowds, they will be at Lincoln Peak, so head to Mt Ellen, which the locals call "Club Ellen" due to its lack of crowds (and the crowd that is there tends to be more local and/or laid back). Our typical plan, on a crowded weekend, is to start at Lincoln at 8/8:30 and then head to Ellen via Slidebrook at 10:30 or 11am.

TheArchitect

I was thinking of skiing Mt. Lincoln Friday, Mt. Ellen on Saturday and back to Lincoln on Sunday.

TheArchitect

Are certain lifts at SB more likely to be on wind hold than others? It's supposed to be windy on Friday and I'm planning on skiing Lincoln but would switch if wind holds are less likely on Ellen.

WWF-VT

Mt Ellen is more likely to have lifts on wind hold but it all depends on the direction on Friday. Check conditions before you choose the base area to start your day.

TheArchitect

Winds will be north northwest. I'll check the conditions but thanks for the tip on Mt. Ellen.

Edd

So for future reference the crowds were a non-issue on Monday (Lincoln Peak) and Tuesday (Mt. Ellen) this week. At Lincoln you could detect the holiday just because of the amount of kids but I never waited in line longer than a minute at the base. Mt Ellen felt like a typical Tuesday at any ski area...about as dead as it gets.