• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Sugarloaf - 2/19 - 2/22

skiMEbike

Date(s) Skied: 2/19/15 - 2/22/15

Resort or Ski Area: Sugarloaf

Conditions: Primarily Packed Powder, Powder conditions, with some wind blown snow. Temperatures ranging from below zero to single digits on Friday (along with gusty NW wind) to a sunny balmy temps in the mid teens on Sunday.

Trip Report: This was our family school vacation trip...I must say one of the more memorable trips on many fronts, but primarily due to the conditions with REAL packed powder & powder conditions for the entire trip. Highlight of the trip: My 5 year old did his first official glade: Toke Road (coincidence on the choice & unofficial name - Not sure if I should be embarrassed or proud). More importantly, my little guy told me that he "likes skiing in the woods"!! Now if we can only get Mommy to embrace glade skiing a bit more.

Thursday was a late start having to drive up in snowy conditions, and we managed to get on the hill by 12:30. The Loaf received 7 inches on top of some already amazing conditions....Very little moisture in the snow making for some true blower POW. I had one of my more memorable runs down bubblecuffer ever..."floating" over/through the moguls for the entire run (definitely a memory that will bring smiles to my face for a long time).

Friday was one of those "typical" Sugarloaf days...Crazy cold & windy. I fully expected that it would end up being a T-bar day with the forecasted winds, however the Loaf managed to keep SuperQuad going all day & Skyline going to 1:30 - 2:00, so kudo's to them. With the wind, the wife and I did some skiing over on bucksaw which is a great place to escape the crowd & winds. I ended the day skiing a few runs off the T-bar to hit up some nice wind blown snow drifts on WintersWay & Bubblecuffer.

Saturday & Sunday kind of blurred together with the highlights being: No crowds (for a weekend of school vacation), Great snow, "Warm" sunny conditions (considering conditions on Friday it felt like a heat wave), Great snow, great trees, and great snow.

For those interested in a glade report...Over the course of 4 days, I didn't get as much as I had hoped, but did manage to hit up: Toke Road, Gondi glade, Nitro glade, Kick back, Rookie River,Raker Tooth glade, and Cant Dog & Sweeper glade. Overall I would say all the glades are skiing great...While some could use a bit more snow & traffic (i.e. kick back & rookie river), others are just buried & skiing as good as it gets (Sweeper, gondi glade - especially skiers right edge). The further skier's right in Bracket the less traffic & the more powder you are going to find.

Overall conditions are outstanding & over the course of the 4 days I've had some of my more memorable powder/packed powder runs at the Loaf. There are pockets of deep powder to be found on & off-piste. My highlights of the trip & runs I would be looking to ski on my next trip back: Winter's Way (especially just below XCut), bubblecuffer, lower Powder Keg & glade between nitro below the XCut, skiers right of gondi glade, and Brackett/Sweeper glade.

TOD: Winter's Way

Now for some pics.

Thursday freshies on lower Bubblecuffer:
IMG_0795.jpg
Lower Rookie River:
IMG_0796.jpg
Looking at back at the snowfields (won't be long):
IMG_0798.jpg
Safety Check prior to dropping in:
IMG_0800.jpg
Somewhere in Sweeper2 glade:
IMG_0801.jpg